1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Michelle Wie - next big thing in golf?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by DaftPunky, Aug 27, 2003.

1. DaftPunky

DaftPunky TRIBE Member

I'm not an avid golf fan or anything, but there was recently a fairly prestigous tourney held in a nearby American city where this young lady played. I never heard of her until the local (Sault Ste. Marie) news started doing an article here and there about her.

She sounds pretty impressive, especially for her age. Golf afficionados, any opinions?

Link about Michelle's awkward first visit to Sault Canada

2. Liquidity

Liquidity TRIBE Member

someone nicknamed her "the big wiesy" since her smooth effortless swing closely resembles ernie els' swing...

she's only 13 and i think she placed 39th at the u.s. open...

the key will be her emotional stability... could be a case of too much too soon a la capriati...

3. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Is this the 13 year old girl who can drive the ball 300 yards?

That's like farther than most adult men.

4. Liquidity

Liquidity TRIBE Member

this might be fun to watch (if it's still going to happen):

5. crave_e

crave_e TRIBE Member

This girl is sick. 14 years old and hitting 300 yrd drives.
    As an FYI she is playing with the men this weekend and is tied for 103rd out of 144 golfers.
    She is only 1 stroke away from Ben Curtis (British Open Winner) and Stuart Appleby (last week's winner).

Three Questions:
    1) Will she make the cut?
    2) How many guys will she beat?
    3) If you are a guy and get beat by her..should you automatically lose your tour card?

THIS GIRL MAKES ME SICK!!!!!!!!!!

HONOLULU (AP) -- Michelle Wie hardly looked out of place Thursday at the Sony Open. Give her time, and the 14-year-old might prove she belongs on the PGA Tour. Wie, believed to be the youngest player ever on the PGA Tour, made three birdies in a respectable round of 2-over 72 that left her nine strokes behind early leader Carlos Franco and in need of her best round to make the cut.

6. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

Ernie Els said she reminds him of a young Tiger Woods.

She has unbelievable talent. Probably one of the best golfers ever at that age. Male or female.

7. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

UM yeah!!! were have you been for the last year?

8. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Didn't you hear?

A woman can't ever expect to golf as well as a man!

9. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

you said it!

10. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

she is a big thing in golf

the next big thing in golf is dicks out if you don't get it past the ladies' tees