• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mexico army seizes huge cocaine haul on plane

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Mexico army seizes huge cocaine haul on plane
5½ tons of drugs worth more than $100M were on aircraft from Venezuela

The Associated Press
Updated: 7:08 a.m. ET April 12, 2006

MEXICO CITY - Mexican soldiers seized 5½ tons of cocaine worth more than $100 million from a commercial plane arriving from Venezuela, Mexico’s Defense Department announced Tuesday.

The army was waiting for the plane on Monday at the airport of Cuidad de Carmen, 550 miles east of Mexico City, after receiving information from Venezuelan and U.S. authorities, Gen. Carlos Gaytan told a news conference.

The cocaine was stacked in 128 black suitcases marked private.

Soldiers arrested Colombian Miguel Vazquez, 47, who was the plane’s co-pilot, but the pilot escaped, Gaytan said. There were no passengers.

The soldiers also arrested two Mexicans who were waiting at the airport with another plane.

Gaytan said airport officials initially stopped soldiers from approaching the plane, claiming there was an oil leak and that it might explode. The officials are being investigated to see if they were in league with the traffickers, said Mexico’s top drug prosecutor, Jose Luis Santiago Vasconcelos.

U.S. and Mexican officials say that cocaine and heroin is increasingly passing from Colombia through Venezuela to Mexico where it is smuggled into the United States. While drug traffickers used planes to smuggle large quantities of drugs in the 1990s, most Mexican traffickers now use land and sea routes.

A U.S. State Department report released in March said that Venezuela has become a key transit point for drugs because of “rampant corruption at the highest levels of law enforcement and a weak judicial system.”

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez suspended cooperation with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration in August, accusing its agents of spying.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
holy shit, its as if the entire country of Venezuela was exporting locaine to north america and mexico was probably just a stop-over. WOW thats a lot of locaine.

5.5 tonnes, how many kilograms is that?
and what is the street value of one kilo of locaine ?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
5.5 tonnes = 5500 kg's

1 kilo = $15 - 35,000 (depending on quality)

Street value according to police would be in the neighborhood of 400 million, in reality its probably worth about 1/4 of that so I'd say a conservative 80 million bucks

dig this

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
that is too much coke for one rail, you'd have to cut it in two.
just gimme one try, that's all i ask...

fuck. 5.5 tonnes, pure, columbian... that's like 10 tonnes of actual street shit that's been stepped on a few times.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
5.5 tonnes = 5500 kg's

1 kilo = $15 - 35,000 (depending on quality)

Street value according to police would be in the neighborhood of 400 million, in reality its probably worth about 1/4 of that so I'd say a conservative 80 million bucks

Street value is the per gram cost ie. what it will sell for ultimately on the street.

$80/gram = $80,000 per kilo street value.

$80,000 * 5500 K's = $440,000,000

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
Street value is the per gram cost ie. what it will sell for ultimately on the street.

yup thats how I figured it (however I rounded down to the closest 100 mill), for actual value I divided by 5 which assumes for quantity purchase. Thus a gram of pot is worth $15 on street is only worth $3-4 in bulk. Coke is a little different in that if its being shipped into the USA its probably at the +%95 purity mark at street level rarely does it break the %50 mark so we can assume that this is infact 11 tonnes worth of the peruvian marching powder worth probably somewhere around 880,000,000 on the street, but realistically if sold it would still be only worth 80,000,000 in a single bulk purchase.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I guess this is one step closer for the USSD to being able to label Chavez a drug trafficker just like they did Noriega, Torrijos, Sandanistas etc.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Bumbaclat said:

and if you factor in it being stepped on before it actually gets on the streats.. street value is probably doubled.

Hamza

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
I guess this is one step closer for the USSD to being able to label Chavez a drug trafficker just like they did Noriega, Torrijos, Sandanistas etc.

yeah seriously.

More like mexicans put the coke on the plane after it landed.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I love how they conveniently pin Venezuela as the prime culprit when the coke obviously comes from Colombia -who is one of the largest recipients of US foreign aid and arguably the US's closest partner in the region.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
OTIS beat me to it.

(are the rest of you little cokeheads going to be okay?)

The real trick is finding 10 counties that the CIA World Factbook doesn't list as a shipment point for drugs.

Canada for instance
"illicit producer of cannabis for the domestic drug market and export to US; use of hydroponics technology permits growers to plant large quantities of high-quality marijuana indoors; transit point for ecstasy entering the US market; vulnerable to narcotics money laundering because of its mature financial services sector"

France
"transshipment point for and consumer of South American cocaine, Southwest Asian heroin, and European synthetics"

Australia
"Tasmania is one of the world's major suppliers of licit opiate products; government maintains strict controls over areas of opium poppy cultivation and output of poppy straw concentrate"

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
I love how they conveniently pin Venezuela as the prime culprit when the coke obviously comes from Colombia -who is one of the largest recipients of US foreign aid and arguably the US's closest partner in the region.

So the plane didn't come from Venezuela?

Seriously just because the countries name comes up doesn't mean its part of a greater story line anywhere but in your head.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The US state of Afganistan has become a the biggest illegal producer of opium now i believe...

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
So the plane didn't come from Venezuela?

Seriously just because the countries name comes up doesn't mean its part of a greater story line anywhere but in your head.
Uhhh, the coke is what's illegal here, not the plane. And last I checked, for it to get produced and exit Colombia requires much more "corruption" than simply being a transit point. Since the RIDICULOUS amount of aid that floods into that country from the US in a direct way props up this culture of corruption, which’s really to blame here? Decades of scholarly research has proven this 'war on drugs' is less about preventing drug proliferation, although that might sometimes be a peripheral result, and more about geostrategic positioning. In Colombia it ensures the acquiescence of a country in a region who have collectively grown distrustful of US involvement on any level.

Last edited:

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
How could opium/heroin possibly get from Afghanistan to North America?
They say the Balkans is a transit point into Europe, and Russia with it's Organized Crime groups and Oligarchical class being a driving force in their economy provide more than enough opportunity for distribution.