• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Metropolis Development at Yonge & Dundas

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know if this project is still on schedule or if construction is still stalled? Are they still aiming for a fall 2007 opening?

Metropolis will feature a 24 screen AMC cinema complex, the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, Future Shop's Flagship Store, and four restaurants including Cafe Two to Tango and a cafe fronted by celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck. Construction is now underway and opening is planned for 2007.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Is this a Cadillac Fairview project? if so I can get all the details.

I personally cant wait until the new Maple Leaf tower goes up down by ACC.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
If my memory serves me right the last I heard this was yet again delayed to 2009. However, my memory has been known to make shit up and I can't find the web page I thought I read this on.

SJN

TRIBE Member
From a very recent (last month) Toronto Life article:

The site belongs to Metropolis, a movie and shopping complex that was supposed to anchor the neighbourhood’s rejuvenation. Instead, the project— originally slated to open in 2000—has turned one of Toronto’s most important intersections into a boarded-up mess. So why the delay? For one thing, American conglomerate AMC was reluctant to commit to the 24-screen multiplex that the project hinged on. Other potential occupants—including an indoor Disney theme park and a high-tech arcade—sniffed around but backed out. Construction started in 2003, only to stop again in 2004, with just the basement built, because of financing woes. Work has resumed, and word is that the building will be finished by November 2007. The current roster of tenants includes AMC, the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and a Wolfgang Puck restaurant—small comfort for pedestrians who have spent years squeezing through blue construction hoarding.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
thanks! that is exactly what i was looking for. :)

as ugly as that new development is, at least it will be better than the construction hoarding.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
in the AMC complex (oakville) by my house both the tu tu tango and wolfgang puck restaurants have closed down so I doubt either will appear as part of the project

JESuX

TRIBE Member
i would assume they're more or less on schedule. they've done more to that space in the last 5 months than in the past 5 YEARS.

every day i walk past it twice, and there's a ton of construction dudes, cranes, et al busy at work...

the structure's actually pretty much fully up - i'd suspect it's all just interior and electrical that needs to go in. i'll bring my camera with me tomorrow and snap a shot for those who are interested.

:)

JESuX

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
in the AMC complex (oakville) by my house both the tu tu tango and wolfgang puck restaurants have closed down so I doubt either will appear as part of the project

it's their own fault for having such fucking ridiculous names.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Fillmore said:
Is this a Cadillac Fairview project? if so I can get all the details.

I personally cant wait until the new Maple Leaf tower goes up down by ACC.

is jamers at home today, btw?

i was wondering how the tits she was going to make her way all the way to the east end with no ttc...

:(

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
anyone been to the wolfgang puck restaurant? is it wolfgang puck-calibre food or crummy chain restaurant fare?

i've never been to an AMC before. how do they compare to the cineplex paramount/silver city mega theatres?

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
AMC's about the same, but the seats are better (arms that fold up so it's like a double seat if you're with a date or dangerously overweight).

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:
the structure's actually pretty much fully up - i'd suspect it's all just interior and electrical that needs to go in. i'll bring my camera with me tomorrow and snap a shot for those who are interested.

:)

structural steel is not complete yet. Curtainwall is starting shortly. And yes it will be done on time.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
amc is vastly superior to silver city. not nearly as much of the annoying bells and whistles and way comfier seats.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:
anyone been to the wolfgang puck restaurant? is it wolfgang puck-calibre food or crummy chain restaurant fare?

i've never been to an AMC before. how do they compare to the cineplex paramount/silver city mega theatres?

tutu tango is overpriced for the portions you get, all the food is shared portions (entree size) but not enough for even one person yet the prices are that of main courses. Although I've enjoyed every meal I've had there and the food tastes great.

Pucks - I heard the food was average, not as good as you'd expect from it's namesake. prices are on par with the name

Confused

TRIBE Member
metro1.jpg

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
i like it...there's lots of places in toronto where one can be pleasant and green...the downtown core of a major city should be busy and "in your face"...:D

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
torontobarfly said:
i like it...there's lots of places in toronto where one can be pleasant and green...the downtown core of a major city should be busy and "in your face"...:D

if you look closely at the pic you can even see all the chalk outlines from the shooting victims.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Dundas-Square_05.jpg

One of the projects we featured in the last issue of our journal was a proposed "reworking" of Dundas Square. The designer (Michael Sargent) did some pretty interesting studies of the existing sensory overload which everybody loves to hate! You can view the entire project here.

Personally, I think parks are easy to fall back on as an "ideal" public space in the city. I'm more interested in urban terrain w/ novel integration of greenspace & vegetation then outright "parks." I know I'm in the minority along those lines though..

,g

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Confused said:

Hideous!

Someone is lining their pockets at the cost of urban aesthetics.

When are they going to rename the city: "Pepsi presents New Toronto"?

at this rate, here's what the skyline will look like in 10 years:
tdotskyline.jpg

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
Hideous!

Someone is lining their pockets at the cost of urban aesthetics.

When are they going to rename the city: "Pepsi presents New Toronto"?

at this rate, here's what the skyline will look like in 10 years:
tdotskyline.jpg

if pepsi will help fund the ttc i say go for it :D