• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Metric.

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
Weird to be back at the same venue less than a week after the party.

Missed Holy Fuck.

Islands were ok but the sound was awful and the two main guys are total indie scum.

I've only heard about 40 seconds of 'Combat Baby' so I don't really have much perspective about Metric. They were ok. Quite a stage-show. I dunno, they strike me as a bit childish.

I think people got their money's worth.

Only went cuz it was free but if you have tix for Saturday I think you will dig it.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
you're welcome, Mitsuko !
hope you had a great time Synchronizator...sorry i couldnt hook u up with that extra ticket.

stickball

TRIBE Member
Metric kicked my ass last night. Of course they played all their hits and ended off with an amzing long version of dead disco ... had everyone dancing!

Missed the first band, and the second band really sucked ... not my type of music at all ..... and do they really need 7 members?

The lead singer of metric is dynamite ... i pushed my way right to the front to take some closer pics ... i'll try and post them ... i took about 250 pics last night!!! but we also stayed out till 4am!!! :)

synchronizator

TRIBE Member
ndrwrld said:
you're welcome, Mitsuko !
hope you had a great time Synchronizator...sorry i couldnt hook u up with that extra ticket.
its all good... we bought one at the show..
the show was amazing... emily is insane onstage man... she's so energetic and it REALLY works with the music they do... and it's great that even though her and jimmy aren't together anymore that they stayed as a band and they still got it...

the light show was very cool, and dead disco's extended ending was out of this world.. that girl can ad lib...
i'm impressed... very impressed about the way they come together as a band... musically they're amazing, and you can tell when they perform that they really love what they do... AND THEY HAVEN'T SOLD OUT YET!!! still with their indie label... it's wicked...

the vibe?
not so good... 14 year old girls throwing up in the bathroom from drinking too much of their mother's wine... these two fucking kids were crouching in front of me and my dude and i kept kicking them... eventually i told them to get up or i'm just going to keep kicking them... they did leave, which was great.. more space to move around after that...
MOSH PIT?
i think not... people it's not that kind of music...
they didn't play my favourite song (EMPTY) but i was happy to hear their old stuff when they played it...

AWESOME show.. i was totally impressed...

holy fuck was good.. cool concept, live band (kind of) with electronic feels to it... i'd hear a lot of buzz about them but i didn't expect that...

islands was seriously terrible... REALLY bad... bunch of fucking losers...
matching outfits? who are you, the beatles?
no.
you aren't the beatles... you are a bunch of idiots who play crappy music and only got that gig because you snuck in the back door... bad... really really bad...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
I don't really want to put myself in the position of defending Islands sub-par show last night but they are on the bill because a couple members are from a quite famous band called Unicorns. And Metric asked them to tour with them. Check out a few songs via file-sharing.

kmac

TRIBE Member
Holy fuck for Holy Fuck.

Islands were honestly one of the worst bands I have ever heard live in my life, besides this band at Opera House I saw one time and everyone pelted them with water bottles and yelled "You Suck."

Metric was fun, even though I don't really know their stuff.

Good times.

Big ups to the gentleman who gave me his jacket in the smoking section. Good to know chivalry still exists in this day and age.

Not bad at all for a concert I didn't really expect much from.

gasper

TRIBE Member
Just back from tonights show.... I caught the second half of Holy Fuck and thought they were great. Just abbrasive and noisey enough.

Islands were drawing yawns from a few people I came with. They didn't seem to be gelling on stage either. I think they would have been better as the first opener, followed by Holy Fuck, then Metric.

Although not an avid Metric fan, I thought they sounded and looked fantastic on stage. The crowd was into it. The lightshow was making me think epilepsy. The encore and final song were wicked good.

Tribespotting..... kmac... nice meeting you! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your night out with those crazy gals!

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
it was awesome getting a txt from kmac in the concert that read "ART SCHOOL"

glad to see the scenesters were out in effect.

kmac

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
Tribespotting..... kmac... nice meeting you! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your night out with those crazy gals!
Nice to meet you too! :) The crazy girls left us eventually, but then we met another one. I am a magnet!

Viva la AAAAAAAAAART SCHOOOOOOOOOOOL!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
synchronizator said:
these two fucking kids were crouching in front of me and my dude and i kept kicking them... eventually i told them to get up or i'm just going to keep kicking them... they did leave, which was great.. more space to move around after that...
Holy fuck I would have kicked you right back!

The nerve of those kids, to crouch in front of you! Wow! I mean being in front of you is one thing but crouching? What a bunch of ingrates.

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
"Originally Posted by synchronizator
these two fucking kids were crouching in front of me and my dude and i kept kicking them... eventually i told them to get up or i'm just going to keep kicking them... they did leave, which was great.. more space to move around after that..."

There definitely was a high percentage of fashionista swine in attendance as you can see from the above post.

kittridge

TRIBE Member
I can't believe that Islands were playing! If I knew that I definitely would have gone. What's up with all the hate for them? Islands are fantastic! Maybe they were having a bad night or something. You guys should check out the Unicorns which is the band 2 of the guys from islands are from.

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
Islands:

Friday was the first night of the tour and they looked a little shakey. The main singer who's name escapes me also could not deal with people being bored and basically started insulting the audience which made the crowd more
restless which made the singer more...etc.

You could tell the other members were kind of embarrassed. I had a very quick word with one of them and he was not pleased.

Opening bands always have a hard go when people don't know the songs and stuff and it seemed like they let it get to them.

They are coming back in April, the album will be out by then and it will be at a much smaller venue so interested parties will be able to see them soon.

Stan

TRIBE Member
RE: Islands

The sound levels were fucked, too. I could barely hear the lead singer half the time. And the oboe player was also pretty much inaudible. The violinist rawked, though. I think they were kinda screwed by being the second opening act. By that time most of the audience was getting restless waiting for Metric to come on. Plus it was an all ages event with a lot of younger kiddies in attendence.

The Imogen Heap concert back in December had two opening acts as well, but the big difference was that she came out personally before each of the acts went on and introduced them. So the audience was more inclined to be open to their performances.

Last edited:

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
what a wicked show. i agree with jess, that opener sucked. but well worth the wait for Emily & co. She is definately a, uh, distracting presence onstage.
chris thank you a million times for that ticket. i owe you BigTime.

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
in an alternate reality, i made it to this concert with a hot model in tow, but unfortunately, in this reality, i had to cancel such plans because i was playing out both friday and saturday night. :( i really did want to catch them this time around though.

glad to hear that their were on point. cuz i love metric (and emily hanes too).

diablo

TRIBE Member
I was initially bummed about not seeing the show, but had so much fun snowboarding that I didn't really give a shit.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
I went to the show last night in London and really enjoyed it...I am always amazed how good Emily Haines' voice is live.

I liked Holy Fuck although they had some timing issues with their drumming.

Islands were absolute shit, pretentious indie fucktards. Thier music was ass and their stupid white outfits with their stupid indie haircuts and stop and start bullshit, greater-than-thou crap they call music made my ears bleed.

edit: after reading the above post about islands lead singer insulting the crowd, he did the same thing in London (which is their hometown) so obviously the conversation his band mates had with him did not set in.

Last edited:

kyfe

TRIBE Member
JEMZ said:
I went to the show last night in London and really enjoyed it...I am always amazed how good Emily Haines' voice is live.

I liked Holy Fuck although they had some timing issues with their drumming.

Islands were absolute shit, pretentious indie fucktards. Thier music was ass and their stupid white outfits with their stupid indie haircuts and stop and start bullshit, greater-than-thou crap they call music made my ears bleed.

edit: after reading the above post about islands lead singer insulting the crowd, he did the same thing in London (which is their hometown) so obviously the conversation his band mates had with him did not set in.
I was there too, Metric were great and it was good to see them in a much smaller venue. As for the islands, I don't understand how you were able to make out anything they were saying. The sound guy needed to be canned, The Islands weren't that bad it just sounded horrible.

Anyway the lady was happy and our trek to and fro was without incident, did anyone driving back along the 401 see the lights in the sky? they were from a truckstop, it looks really cool when you were driving by.:D

aki

TRIBE Promoter
went to the friday show. it was good as expected, and the dead disco encore keeps getting better and crazier every time i see them. having seen them 3 times now, i noticed the band seemed a bit stiff and reserved. being the first show of the tour i imagine they're just getting into the groove of performing again, and perhaps it was a bit intimidating playing for such a large audience. but emily still jumped around in her mini skirt and had all the guys straining to catch a glimpse of her kooch.

it's been good to see their popularity soar over the past year, going from Mod Club, to the Phoenix, and finally to Kool Haus. though it's too bad i probably won't get to see them at a small intimate venue like the Mod Club again.