• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Meteorological question

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
why is it that lightning never happens during snowstorms?

p.s - those in the eastend/markham - did you see that mutherfucking lightning bolt?

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
This is not true. I saw/ have seen lighning during snowstorms. Just this weekend actually, during the blizzard here.

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
It happens, google 'thundersnow'

I've only seen it once in my life, and damned if it wasn't the single loudest thunderclap I've ever heard - even though the snow should have suppressed the noise a bit.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mitsuko souma
and furthermore, if thunder is the collision of warm and cold airmasses, what is the lightening anyway?
electro-atmospheric equalization.
plenty negative energy builds up, lightning strikes to balance heaven and earth.

that's as much as i know.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Fidelity
It happens, google 'thundersnow'

I've only seen it once in my life, and damned if it wasn't the single loudest thunderclap I've ever heard - even though the snow should have suppressed the noise a bit.
according to wiki - the snow does suppress, so you were probably fairly close, if it was extremely loud.

Eclipze

TRIBE Member
I've witnessed it a few times.

Snowstorms are cold and cold air doesn't rise and create big thunderstorm clouds as readily as warm air does. That's why hot summer days are the predominant breeding days for thunder and lightning. But if there is enough energy in the atmosphere, and a lot of moisture, thunderstorm clouds can form and drop snow instead of rain when the temperatures are just below freezing.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
if it were to lightning when snowing...

the lightining would ignite all snow flakes into firey little bombs of happiness...

to then rain down upon us all burning warmth and cheer unto all the land...

[jai]

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Now here's the conundrum... understanding that "thundersnow" is rare, and snowstorms lack the warm air convection... then how does one explain lightning during Hailstorms?
:)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

grounded4life

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
why is it that lightning never happens during snowstorms?

p.s - those in the eastend/markham - did you see that mutherfucking lightning bolt?
I saw that and I live downtown!!

It was awesome...