• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Metal detecting in Toronto

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Moar rings from Forgotten Beach!

Here is an interesting belt buckle ring made of some type of metal. I think it is bronze.

Here is an interesting ring with a branch pattern embossed in the metal. Hallmark that says "1°".

Silver ring #26, a small engraved Art Nouveau band:

Today's silver ring, #27 for the year, is a heavy men's ring with a missing stone. Hallmarked STERLING with a small arrow T:

#28 is a wide Art Nouveau silver split band marked STERLING inside:

An old Boy Scout ring is #29, marked STERLING inside. I think the crest was once enameled as well, but it has worn off or the lake has eaten it :

Silver ring #30 is a Canadian Air Force Sweetheart ring:

Finally, this is a big heavy men's silver ring with a gold inlay. It says Philippini 45 with an American flag and a Philippines flag. I think it may commemorate the allied victory in the Philippines in WWII.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Two days of gridding the lake with the Excalibur II. I am getting used to the machine now. It freaks out by making lots of random noises (called falsing) when I try to hunt a certain small area, and when I dig those signals up, nothing is there. This troublesome area is all walnut-sized pebbles under about 6" of sand and I figure there is a lot of jewelry trapped among those pebbles as it forms a pretty tight base so the jewelry can't sink any deeper. I have to figure out a way to hunt this small area....

Anyway, here are my best finds over the last 2 days...

Here is a small cabin. I think it is made of pewter:

Lone Ranger ring in junk metal:

An army badge:

I have left most of the lake tarnish on the silver so you can see what it looks like when I dig it out of the lake bed. The gold comes out looking like new.

Silver ring #32 a thin carved band marked STERLING:

A thicker band marked STERLING is silver ring #33 for the year:

Beauty is in the eye of the ring buyer I guess... Here is STERLING ring with a blue stone, silver ring #34:

Here is a nice heavy woven gold band hallmarked 375 (9k) inside, gold ring #24 for the year:

Gold ring #25 for the year is a really well crafted white gold and yellow gold wedding band marked 14k and A+A inside the band:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Moar gold!!!!!! ANd other neat stuff from today's hunt.

Here are two 1939 Royal visit commemorative coins. I found the smaller one a few weeks ago, and the larger one today. The larger one is about the size of a toonie, but thicker:

Here is an old Indian Head penny in really good shape:

An English farthing, a long way from home:

A really nicely detailed charm, probably in some kind of bronze alloy:

This looks to me to be some kind of license tag. For a dog? A horse? A bicycle? A gun? Fishing?

I dug another one of these lucky charm rings. The other one had the inscription 'Bev' marked on it, this one has no inscription except STERLING. They mustn't really be lucky charms if people keep losing them! This is silver ring #35

Here is a tiny solitaire with a dark stone in it. I think it might be a sapphire. Marked 10k in the band. It's gold ring #26 for me:

Here is a heavy men's ring with 3 nice sized diamonds in it. I tested them with my diamond tester and they seem legit. The ring in marked 10K inside the band with the maker's mark MOODEL. I am wearing it now and I feel like I really should put on a polyester shirt with a massive pointy collar to complete the outfit...Behold gold ring #27:

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
This looks to me to be some kind of license tag. For a dog? A horse? A bicycle? A gun? Fishing?

Horse maybe? Part of the tack? I doubt you would have needed a license for a dog, gun, bicycle or fishing in 1902!

Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? Or does that not work on corrosion

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
A great couple of days for gold!

Here is a nice 14K old signet ring that weighs in at 6 grams:

This one I think I will keep. It is a perfect example of excellent 1920's Art Deco Jewelry, obviously made by a master jeweler. A simple, clean, elegant design in 10K:

And then there is this... An absolutely huge and heavy 10k men's ring weighing in at 12.11 grams:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a commemorative coin I found last week. After cleaning it looks pretty good. It is a little smaller than a Loonie but thicker:

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
nice!
how much longer do you think you'll be able to brave the Lake Ontario temps?
it has certainly been quite chilly this past weekend...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
nice!
how much longer do you think you'll be able to brave the Lake Ontario temps?
it has certainly been quite chilly this past weekend...
I spent 4 hours in the water today and I think it will be my last hunt at forgotten beach until next year. Even a thermos of hot coffee was not enough to ward off the chill once the sun started going down... The water is still quite warm, but it is when you get out... brrrrr.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Lake silver. I found about twice this amount.

Art Deco bracelet:

Old lifeguard whistle:

Coin bracelet with old European coins from the early 1900's:

peko

TRIBE Member
^ that's a pretty good haul! I LOVE the coin bracelet and life guard whistle. You're a super trooper for being in the lake this weekend, while I was wearing wool sweaters with a light wool coat!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
But there is more!

A silver floral band, marked STERLING, designed by UNCAS is silver ring #36 for the year:

A small sterling signet ring marked E:

A sterling silver signet ring with no initials, unless that is a P:

Gold ring #31 for the year, a 14k white gold and yellow gold band with carved design:

A small 10k girls signet ring RM:

A larger 10K signet ring GS:

A 10k wedding band: