• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Metal detecting in Toronto

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Instead of creating a blog, I am just going to create a thread and post some of my finds here. I am a real n00b at metal detecting, but I am slowly getting the hang of my machine. Understanding what the various sounds it makes is critical to knowing when to dig and when to pass over something.

For the first few outings, I dug out mostly trash (bottlecaps, pull tabs, ballpoint pens, etc...). The last few outings have become interesting. yesterday was all about sets of keys, and today I found a lot of coins in a small 4x4 meter area, and an interesting Medallion that was pretty deep in the earth. It is very small and pretty heavy... I wonder what it means?

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
^ wow good job nemi.
you better polish that up alex and keep it with you at all times. the medal is used to ward off spiritual and physical dangers, especially those related to witchcraft, poison, and temptation. it was surely sent to keep you safe as you dig for your gold. I very lucky find I would say.

and 5 bucks is pretty sweet, you can buy a beer.
you'll need a big bottle of coke to shine all those pennies up.

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
mmmm, eggs benedict.
I bit of treasure related to brunch! How awesome is that?! I was reading a bit about St. Benedict...

"On the front of the medal is Saint Benedict holding a cross in his right hand, the object of his devotion, and in the left his rule for monasteries. In the back is a poisoned cup, in reference to the legend of Benedict, which explains that hostile monks attempted to poison him: the cup containing poisoned wine shattered when the saint made the sign of the cross over it (and a raven carried away a poisoned loaf of bread). Above the cup are the words Crux sancti patris Benedicti ("The Cross of our holy father Benedict"). Surrounding the figure of Saint Benedict are the words Eius in obitu nostro praesentia muniamur! ("May we be strengthened by his presence in the hour of our death"), since he was always regarded by the Benedictines as the patron of a happy death."

That shit is so A Game of Thrones!

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Let us know if you start receiving unexpected visitations from the dead, or develop special powers on account of the medallion.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

The old pennies are huge! (bigger than our current quarter and a little smaller in size than a loonie). I bet you could get a lot of stuff for them in 1917 too.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Here is Toronto in 1917, looking west along Queen St. East. That's River St. on the right. Maybe someone on that streetcar dropped it in the park I was hunting?

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Don't clean any of the old stuff you find. I watch a lot of crappy TV and the one thing the collectors always say is don't clean old stuff. Keep it the way it is.

Major score on the TTC token too.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Hmm I dunno. This article says that it is the citric acid in Coke/Pepsi that causes this cleaning action. But further down there is a claim of a guy who "drank 8 bottles and died on the spot because too much carbon dioxide in the blood and not enough oxygen". There is also a claim that "Someone put a broken tooth in a bottle of Pepsi and in 10 days it is dissolved!"

But if it cleans coins...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Don't clean any of the old stuff you find. I watch a lot of crappy TV and the one thing the collectors always say is don't clean old stuff. Keep it the way it is.

Major score on the TTC token too.
I am just washing them in warm soapy water which is safe by all accounts when and if I do find something old. If it is really grubby to the point where I can't ID it, I will take it to a coin shop first to see what they recommend. I have found one of the older aluminium tokens also... Can you convert them into the newer ones somehow?

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
you must look like such a dork with your metal detector, and then getting down on your knees digging holes in the ground in the park. lol
are you even allowed to go digging up the park?

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
I have found one of the older aluminium tokens also... Can you convert them into the newer ones somehow?
That's a collectors item now. TTC won't take them anymore.

If I ever see someone with a metal detector in the east end I'm going to shout out TRIBE FTW at the top of my lungs.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I lived above Fusilli restaurant for 18 months (moved out sept 2010). It was loads of fun... cheap rent, great landlord, no sound restrictions after the restaurant closed...

Very quiet neighborhood. Except that one time when a crackhead offered me some services at 8:30am on a chilly Monday morning in February. That was strange (I said no, sorry I'm not Jeffsus :p).

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Well when I meet my true love, a hawt metal detecting dork chick in some park while digging you won't be laughing then, now will you!? On second thought, you probably will.

Anyways, I am not in it for the chicks (it is a solitary adventure) or the fashion and style (dirty army shorts with lots of pockets, a tank top from value village, headphones), I am in it for the gold! Gold!!! *said in leprechaun voice*