• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Men's shoes - where to shop?

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
I snagged a pair of dress shoes for work, and despite taking care of them, only wearing them to the office, and only having them 4 months, there is now an almost hole worn in the sole of one of them - fucking shite. If I step on damp contrete my sock gets wet.

So, In order to avoid the mistake of shopping there again, I'm looking for Tribe's advice. Where can I snag a pair of work shoes that will.. you know.... not fall apart for $150-$300?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Im not exactly sure where you work or what is acceptable but I am a huge fan of loafers in the office.

Something like this

1733-248536-p.jpg

1733-282369-3.jpg

I have a really nice pair of white ones and black ones. These are especially comfortable in the summer months. They also look great with the right pair of dress shorts.

Last edited:

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
I can't remember the name but there is a great spot on Dundas. W just W. of Keele on the north side (where Pacific meets Dundas W.). When I lived around there and was working in pretty strict office environments where what you wore mattered I bought a couple of pairs of oxfords that lasted a couple of years.

Most shoes are closer to $300 than to $150 but the selection is top notch.

They specialize in large sizes, when you got size 14-15 like I do you definitely appreciate that.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
If you wear them to work, spend the money. I bought a pair of $$$ Kenneth Cole's from The Bay's Brown's location about 4-5 years ago. I've only had to replace the heel and its still going strong. However, the $100 John Madden's I bought last year already fell apart.

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
Aerius Zension said:
If you wear them to work, spend the money. I bought a pair of $$$ Kenneth Cole's from The Bay's Brown's location about 4-5 years ago. I've only had to replace the heel and its still going strong. However, the $100 John Madden's I bought last year already fell apart.

Heh.... I think I dropped about $230 @ Browns (it was their higher end line). Never imagined that they wouldn't make the 6 month mark.

If the soles are leather, then you need to slap something over them to protect them.

My school shoes used to do that all the time (holes wear in the sole).

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
if you're looking for dress shoes, then surprisingly Moores is a good choice.....

(and they are very easy on returns/exchanges with defectives.

Anywhere from 89.99-149.99 for their 'good' shoes.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:

i wouldn't recommend kenneth cole for any leather goods. they used to make good stuff, but now they're really crap. i've had stitching and other areas come apart. they're sourcing their shoes out of china (most of them).

from my experience, the best leather "dress" shoes come out of italy. if you want kung fu shoes, go for something made in china.

AgentSanchez said:
something such as???
Thin rubber soles that you can get at any moneysworth and best. They put them on for you.
I think on guy shoes they're like 18-20.

Just make sure you ask for the extra thin ones, not the thick ones (you can actually notice them and they look stupid).

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
oh toro said:
i wouldn't recommend kenneth cole for any leather goods. they used to make good stuff, but now they're really crap. i've had stitching and other areas come apart. they're sourcing their shoes out of china (most of them).

Hey they have to stay competitive! :rolleyes:

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
daddyiwantchocolate said:
Thin rubber soles that you can get at any moneysworth and best. They put them on for you.
I think on guy shoes they're like 18-20.

Just make sure you ask for the extra thin ones, not the thick ones (you can actually notice them and they look stupid).

Thanks for the heads up.. these ones sound like they might be salvageable.

No worries.

You absolutely can have them applied after you get a hole to salvage a pair, just make sure your shoe guy packs the hole with a folded piece of leather or something prior to sealing the bottom of the shoe with the rubber sole. If he doesn't, you'll forever be able to feel the hole from inside the shoe.

Small in the scheme of things, but irritating.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
oh toro said:

from my experience, the best leather "dress" shoes come out of italy. if you want kung fu shoes, go for something made in china.

This is kinda true that they may be made in China. There's a company called Van Hausen that makes dress shirts, shoes and such for The Bay. They also have the license to label certain items Kenneth Cole, Calvin Klein ans so forth.