• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Men's Fashion Blog

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Yes, sadly Holts doesn't carry Jack Spade anymore (my gf works there). I've been enjoying my canvas day bag for 5 or 6 years now, and it's held up remarkably well to daily abuse.

If anyone wants to buy this I've had it sitting in a box for a while, barely used, in black.

It's probably a good thing there isn't more Jack Spade up here; I'd probably have blown a lot more $ on them. I heart me bags.

How much?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
What hours are they open for, and do they take visa/debit?

They do take Visa. Not sure about debit.
Last time, I believed it was 10 AM to 8 PM.

Something like that.

I called the hotel last time to get the hours because I wanted to go as early as possible. I've posted the phone #'s for the Concierge for each location. :)

It's quietest around 10 AM and busiest between 12 - 2 and 4:30 - 7.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I am looking for a coat that is stylish and dressy but not too formal, that will fit well over casual blazers and sport coats.

I live in Vancouver so weather is a bit of an issue because it has to be able to handle rain and not be too warm. I don't need anything dressy because I have a really nice overcoat if I'm doing the suit thing.

But I'm looking for something that can look good over jeans, sports coat, which I what I would often wear not only to work but out and about too. I sometimes find it hard to buy coats for Vancouver that aren't core tex because you need more a shell here than anything else and if I'm wearing a blazer or something under it, then I'm going to be warn enough.

Any suggestions?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Best solution: a great black, grey or camel trench!
Make sure it's nice and structured.. Double breasted is fine. Belt loops would be nice. Some details but not too many. It should still remain relatively classic.
Waterproof and sophisticated, a trench can be worn with jeans, to a club, to a business meeting or to the bar. It's really the greatest men's clothing item next to a suit and watch.

You can get a fantastic classic London Fog trench at Zellers for around $80. I bought my father one on sale and it's really a great modern trench that even works on a shorter man.
London_Fog_mens_khaki_trench.jpg

For a trendier look, you can go with something like this that is a trench inspired by a Hermes trench:
barbour-trench.jpg

Though this is still $500 USD.

You can also play with lengths. I personally think this looks good but it will be outdated in the future. I would go with something a little longer.
7772_1_sbol.JPG

Wrinkled trenches are big for spring too:
trench_coat.jpg

I'm also selling a very nice simple business trench from Banana Republic if you're a larger small:
n551701006_2449497_5621.jpg

n551701006_2449498_5853.jpg

It's an old coat that is in great condition. I get compliments everywhere because this was made when Banana Republic had amazing cuts and fabrics.. It's coated in polyurethane so water runs right off it. It was originally $300.
I'm selling it for $50.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Great suggestions, thanks. Also appreciate the pricing info.

That Sutherland Trench looks great.

...unfortunately, I'm a larger large...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I dig this coat.

Thanks. I tried it on 2 times at Holt's last year and once at another store on Queen West.

Then when I went back to look at it again, I noticed the larger sizes were 60% off from $750.00. So I inquired and it turned out that they put the small on hold for a "John from Vancouver."

I said "I'll take it right now if you give it to me."

These queens at Holt's did a quick huddle and came back to me: "Sure. We'll give it to you. We'll even give you a better discount too."

"Thanks! I feel bad for John though..."

"Oh 'John from Vancouver' is actually a staff member trying to get this coat with an even bigger discount. We don't like him anyway."

"Oh... Sweet."

So I got my dream $750 coat that had just came out for a mere $187. It's this crazy water proof urethane coated canvas but it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles.. Which I appreciate. And I love the red silk seams on the inside to connect the red plaid. It's an amazing piece.

Gotta love those queens at Holt's.
Backstabbing all in the name of fashion!

BigLove

TRIBE Member
60% off at Holt's? Hmmm I should go check this out. This crappy weather has hammered home that I need a rain appropriate jkt/coat.

octo

TRIBE Member
i picked up a short trench coat at h&m last week. not the most well made jacket ever but for $60 you can't go wrong.

guysmiley

TRIBE Member
I’ve got a wedding coming up in October that’s calling for an all-black suit for the wedding party. I don’t have one, so I’m here for the scoop.

I go to NYC quite often (maybe once every couple of months)- is it better to shop there or here (factoring exchange, lugging the thing around)? In either case, where would you recommend? I’m going to check out Tom’s Place (and even Moores when they have decent sales)…what about in NY?

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
The Harry Rosen in FCP was having a big sale on suits last week - it would be worth checking to see if it's still on.

I snagged a fantastic Zegna suit for $599 :)

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I’ve got a wedding coming up in October that’s calling for an all-black suit for the wedding party. I don’t have one, so I’m here for the scoop.

I go to NYC quite often (maybe once every couple of months)- is it better to shop there or here (factoring exchange, lugging the thing around)? In either case, where would you recommend? I’m going to check out Tom’s Place (and even Moores when they have decent sales)…what about in NY?

You can get some great stuff at Century 21 near Ground Zero - it's basically like Winners but, like Winners, they have some pretty high end suits if you're willing to do some digging.

deevah

TRIBE Member

check the major dept stores - they're hurtin' and they're selling their stock sometimes 70% off from the actual boutiques of the designers. Saks was 70% off when i went. Here's a tip as well - go to the exec office/customer service and ask for an "out of towner discount coupon" - all major dept stores have it. You'll get an extra 10/11% off. Also clothing in NY no longer has sales tax - there was a limit of up to $110 per item was tax free, but i think it's been waived now so all apparel is tax free.

If you're there in NY long enough, rent a car and go to Woodbury Commons Outlet, expect to be there pretty much the whole day. Armani, Prada, Dior, Off 5th are all there.

I prefer Loehmann's to C21 - they get better stock. C21 get sometime the most hideous pieces leftover from previous season collections. Probably b/c Loehmann's has better buying power over C21 as they have locations across the US vs single store of C21. There's a location on 7th @ 16th in chelsea.

Last edited:

Fillmore

TRIBE Member

I was just in a wedding party in February which called for the groomsmen in all black suits.
We went with the fitted suits from Zara. All taxes in we spent $327 each.

edit: they have almost all sizes in stock all the time.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Guysmiley, what is your size?
I found Century 21 to be great but the sizing is hard to find if ur a smaller guy.
Go to Bloomingdale's. You can get a great Calvin Klein suit for under $500.

And Maxwell's is this weekend.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I tried on an amazing fitted 38S Dolce and Gabbana pinstripe suit at Century 21. I normally don't wear pinstripe cuz it's hard to find a suit that doesn't look cheap.
But this one was... Amazing. Wool, thick stripes.. Fit like a glove. The pants were great too but I turned around.. And there was a GIANT hole... Like a foot in diameter! Shredded. No way of fixing it.

So I said, "can I have the suit for the half the price? I don't want the pants. I just want it as a blazer."

"No."

Who is going to pay $1000 for a discount blazer? Please.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Why would they have something so obviously ruined out on the floor? That seems ghetto, even for C21. I would've gone up to the manager and failing that, the mayor.

guysmiley

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the advice, all.

I’ll probably end up checking out Bloomies and C21 (I was there during Christmas- never thought it was possible to get someone else’s sweat on me in a department store before that). I’ve only been to Sacks once, and the sticker shock scared the crap out of me, but maybe I’ll give it another try now that bankers are jumping off ledges.

Also, Deevah, thanks for the tip on the out-of-towner discount.

Mofo suggested some places around TO as well…would Maxwell’s be worth the wait this weekend?

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Maxwells is more than worth it but do your research beforehand or take someone that knows. Have the exact style in mind (if possible bring a picture or an existing piece to copy) and leave no decision to them.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Why would they have something so obviously ruined out on the floor? That seems ghetto, even for C21. I would've gone up to the manager and failing that, the mayor.

I went to the Manager. He said he can't sell a suit separately. And I said "no one is gonna buy this. It literally looks like a dog chewed it up."
"Sorry."

It's all good. What am I gonna do with a Dolce & Gabbana blazer?

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I still don't understand how a store, even a discount store like that, would put pants out on the floor that were that mangled. Even Winners won't put something that's completely ruined out there, and if there's any kind of imperfection they'll usually take a SUBSTANTIAL discount.