1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Mel's Diner & Taboo Nightclub fire...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by tobywan, Apr 22, 2010.

1. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

2. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

A nightclub owned by the same guy in KW whose other infamous clubs Lyric, metropolis, etc. all also burned down, also burned down? Wow what a coincidence.

Anyway I always hated Loose Change so good riddens. Sugar mountain was cool though.

Mel's was too expensive and always full of smelly students.

-jM
    A&D

3. Liability

Liability TRIBE Member

Way too expensive? Did they do away with the 2.99 all day breakfast. That was a staple when I went to U of W.

4. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

All I want to know is, did the Pita Pit survive?

I spent so many Thursday nights jostling with Loose Change Louie's patrons just to get my late-night post clubbing pita fix back in the day.

Too bad about Sugar Mountain though.

5. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

Pita Pit, 2nd Cup, Al Madina, etc are all still there. But the block with Mel's, Loose Ass Louie's, etc is completely gone.

Liability, Mel's hasn't had the $2.99 breakfast in a long time. I think it was about $8 when last I had it 18 mths or so ago.

6. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Jeff, I don't recall the Lyric having a fire, but boy that Metropolis blaze was something else.

7. Liability

Liability TRIBE Member

Jesus, I knew I was old, but that is a shaker.

8. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

$2.99?

I don't go there much anymore but I've stopped in a few times this year when I drop my roommate off for school.

And yeah, if you get a coffee, about $8 sounds about right. I recall thinking it "wasn't cheap" for your basic 2 eggs, meat, hash browns, toast, and a coffee.

Curious to see what comes of this.

-jM
    A&D

9. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

How are all the first year uni students supposed to get skanky if Loose Change (or whatever its called now) is gone? The horror!

10. Zenmaster Chi

Zenmaster Chi TRIBE Promoter

Poor Sugar Mountain. All that sugar was probably one hell of an accelerant.

I miss Mel's cheap breakfasts...I wonder where all the bleary-eyed hungover students are going to eat now?

11. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Yeah today I had to break the news to my daughter that her favourite candy store had gone up in smoke.

If anything was an accelerant it was the years and years' worth of grease built up at Mel's.

12. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

Benny's is the new Mel's, and uptown Waterloo also has a Cora's now. Plenty of good options for the greasy spoon breaky in KW.

13. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

I'm still in mourning over the closing of the Golden Griddle across from Benny's.

14. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

Although Metropolis was definitely a torch job in my opinion, the people behind Tabu/140 West were in no way related to the people that own Wax, Elements, The Palace, Cowboys, etc. as far as I'm aware.

The main guy behind 140 West/Tabu was a dude by the name of Ryan Henderson. He recently became a silent partner in Tabu (not by choice) and word is that they were paying their employees in cash and were bleeding money. Apparently quite a few employees were owed money as well. Ryan was 'bought out' from what I understand from a group of owners from Toronto who had made changes to the club that didn't seem to go over too well.

I can almost smell the lighter fluid from here.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  15. TILT_Lance

TILT_Lance TRIBE Member

Well its becoming an Angel's very soon!

16. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

Really? Man, I need to pay more attention. I ride the 8 past there every work day and haven't noticed.

17. OutcastTO

OutcastTO TRIBE Member

I made the trek to Louie's with friends a few times during my undergrad (went to Ryerson) for their $2- Tuesdays.... RIP

18. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

They were getting the right idea about the quality of the club with Tabu - it was just the music policy that they couldn't seem to work out properly despite the owners stating they wanted to do house.

Tabu could have easily been situated in Toronto. They poured lots of money into it and I think that came and bit them in the ass in the end.

19. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

oh well.

louie's was fun when you were 17-21.
    i never checked out tabu or 140 west, but i heard they brought in quite a crowd on the weekends.

oscars and benny's are way better for breakfast anyway. cheaper, more and better food. and we do have cora's now. k-dub is moving up in the world.

20. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in. :D

21. Sylent Syd

Sylent Syd TRIBE Member

Phil's...not even an inferno would make Phil's go away...a fire might sterilize the washrooms, at best...

22. IgStar

IgStar TRIBE Member

I used to loooove metrop.
    many a good time was had falling down the stairs! :D

23. IgStar

IgStar TRIBE Member

I think I went to Loose Change..ooohh...about 4x. IF that. For some reason, that place never ever appealed to me. I was a Purple Room girl.

Duke Of Wellington also has a great breaky and it won't break the bank.
    I still need to check Coras out, went to HS with the dude that owns it.

24. keld

keld TRIBE Member

during uni i lived in that block of houses just behind mel's diner. drunk students would run over the hood/ceiling/trunk of my car after louie's. i remember being so pissed they dented the roof of my ford taurus! lol that was another life ago...

25. case sensitive

case sensitive TRIBE Member

Sugar Mountain is where I got my Jesus action figure, the most powerful action figure ever!

Loose Change is where I got herpes, but that is another story entirely!