• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Meg Ryan on "Parkinson" (shocking tv moments)

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
I am looking for a video clip of the infamous MEG RYAN interview on the british show "Parkinson".

I had never even heard of it until today, when i read that it was voted the 3rd most shocking interview of all time (i am guessing #1 & #2 are the sex pistols interview, and the whitney houston/serge gainsborough interview).

i have tried searching the net, but can't find any clips of it, only reports.

peace.

also, any other shocking tv moments that you could link to would add to the flavor of this thread. thanks.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
well, i've never heard of this before but i'm in the mood to go searching for info on this so I have ...

minor reference to the interview in this very one-sided and whiney article:
"Spoilt in Seattle" http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/entertainment/meg-ryan-in-the-cut.php
"After receiving good press for her role in the movie In The Cut Meg Ryan should have dazzled her fans when she visited London to promote her film. But instead she showed the other side of her nature the spoilt, "I am a Hollywood Star the latest craze of the so called Diva’s" that is to be rude demanding and out and out rude to the fans that enable these people to enjoy the lifestyles they lead.

Firstly at the premiere we were all treated to the sullen Ms Ryan, then on the Parkinson Show rudeness and a complete lack of interest, the fact that millions of viewers were tuned in to listen to her did not seem to matter as she refused to converse or answer questions with little more than a yes or a no.

With the opening of the erotic thriller In the Cut, Meg Ryan was doubtless expecting her radical change of direction to create a stir, but instead the star's surly performance on British television was unforgettable with recriminations passing each way.

It has been reported that Ms Ryan's spokesman accused Michael Parkinson of adopting an aggressive interview technique, and claimed that he would not have been so harsh with a male interviewee. Parkinson apparently replied that from the beginning, Meg Ryan appeared totally disinterested. He further went on to say he had afforded her the kind of interest and courtesy that she failed to demonstrate either to her fellow guests or the audience."

---------------------------------

some girl's review of the interview on her blog
then came Meg Ryan and she seemed to be in an odd sort of daze. But I wasn't sure if she really was or if it was Parky who made me believe it, because he went into full throttle - going for her like a fighter pilot - and I suspect the reason he did was because she came as his third guest (the most important of the show) and then she proceeded not to answer any of his questions.

She was wafting on about a film she's just done with Jane Campion (The Piano) and carried on and on about how "When you work with Jane Campion you ...." - artsy-fartsy head in the clouds stuff. There's a lot of sex in the film and Parky was challenging her about whether it was sex or artistically sensual. Meg kept answering not as herself but by referring to Jane Campion.

I couldn't breathe throughout it all and eventually she was looking away from him and giving a smile to the audience as if she couldn't believe what was happening.

And still Parky went on. He then said something like she was a completely different person from the person he'd met doing romantic comedies, suggested she was feeling highly insecure and being defensive. Ha! I didn't know what to think. I've never seen him do such a thing.

First I considered he was anti-American or something because she was the only American on the show, but then ruled it out because he always interviews American celebs and it's all fine. Then I thought maybe he was being sexist - you know - against sensual women like Meg Ryan and Jane Campion, etc, but this can't be because he's never displayed such tendencies before.

The only thing I can think of is that he regarded everything Meg Ryan was giving him as being bullshit and wanted her to get real. It's the same negotiation that happened with Tom Cruise, except in that instance - because it was about religion - he had to pull back.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member

Mean Ol Parky

some tid bits from this article:

When the talk show host is as famous as this, if you don't play the game, watch out, writes Ruth Ritchie.

A funny thing happened when Parky met Meggy. They really pissed each other off, and not in a way that led the audience to believe that after 10 years and 10 more interviews they'd actually wind up married. Meg Ryan and Michael Parkinson just rubbed each other the wrong way.

Then Ryan walked on stage and what happened next was quite surprising.

Parky seemed to expect America's sweetheart, and instead got a spiky, uncomfortable actress who wanted to demonstrate her vocabulary.

One of two things could have happened here. Ryan might have decided to smash her image, not by sporting dirty hair and a bare butt in a Jane Campion film, but by being the only girl in the world to publicly dislike Parkinson. So she was holding all the cards.

Or the truth of Parkimagic is that the stars must play their part. And I suspect it is Parky who is holding all the cards. As long as famously drunken actors are drunk as guests, the system works. The big stars must sing for their supper. Last week Michael Caine and Billy Connolly performed the roles of perfect Parky guests. The stories, the breathless laughter, the "all singing from the same hymn book", made reliably enjoyable television. When Ryan didn't play along she came across as someone who would make very poor company at dinner, and that doesn't seem entirely fair.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
last one:
Actress MEG RYAN proved a difficult guest on British chat show host MICHAEL PARKINSON's programme over the weekend (25/26OCT03).

The star appeared on the TV veteran's show on Saturday night (25OCT03) to promote her new movie IN THE CUT, but frustrated Parkinson by refusing to be drawn on her personal life and only offering one-word answers.

When a struggling Parkinson asked Meg, a former trainee journalist, what she would do in his position, she coolly replied, "Wrap it up." But he ploughed on, saying, "I'll try another blind alley."

But the talk show host last night (26OCT03) defended the actress, insisting, "She's like that. She's been through quite a change - her divorce. I think she understood what was going on.

"It was a challenge, but I enjoyed it."

The appearance continues a troublesome stay in Britain for the actress - she was booed at the London premiere of IN THE CUT last week (22OCT03) after refusing to greet waiting fans.

can't find any clip of it as of yet, though now I want to see it too haha. seems pretty innoccuous though, wouldn't think it would make top 3 most shocking interviews!

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
sweetdaddy said:
I had never even heard of it until today, when i read that it was voted the 3rd most shocking interview of all time (i am guessing #1 & #2 are the sex pistols interview, and the whitney houston/serge gainsborough interview).

QUOTE]

I think the Harmony Korine/crispin glover interviews on the late show w/letterman should be mentioned on a "most shocking" list...I love disoriented people being interviewed:D

try to search for the thread about the glover interview on here...it's really funny

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
I think this is the part that made the interview so shocking to people ...

"When a struggling Parkinson asked Meg, a former trainee journalist, what she would do in his position, she coolly replied, "Wrap it up.""

people expected meg ryan to be all sweet and sugary and she wasn't and they were pissed.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Sunshyne Jones said:
I think this is the part that made the interview so shocking to people ...

"When a struggling Parkinson asked Meg, a former trainee journalist, what she would do in his position, she coolly replied, "Wrap it up.""
lol, i think i just found new respect for meg ryan.

not sure what the most shocking interview is that i've ever seen live, but i loved the hell out of matt lauer vs. tom cruise over whether or not there's such a thing as a chemical imbalance. :)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
anyone have a link to that clip where the interviewer kept bursting into laughter because the guest's voice was funny? i think it was a british talk-show. i saw the link first on this board.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:
anyone have a link to that clip where the interviewer kept bursting into laughter because the guest's voice was funny? i think it was a british talk-show. i saw the link first on this board.
i *think* it was italian. everybody thought it was fake, but i bought it....

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
i want to see a clip of this one
Tara Palmer Tompkinson
"Matters came to a head in April 1999 when she made a disastrous, stoned, appearance on Frank Skinner's BBC TV chat show."

Colm

TRIBE Member
What about Joe Namath's last TV appearance? Drunk & learing at his female interviewer?

Or how about whenever Sue Jo Hansen manages to KY her way on to a talkshow?

Stan

TRIBE Member
My favourite one was the one with the drunken french dude who said "I would like to fuck her" to Whitney Houston.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
I saw an interview with sly stone (of the family stone not rocky) that was pretty crazy he was all whacked on LSD or something.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories