• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Meet Suzette, the chat program that convinced an expert she was human

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member

Meet Suzette, the chat program that convinced an expert she was human

Have you met Suzette? If you have, you might not know it — because Suzette has passed the Turing Test. This chatbot convinced a judge that she was a human.

The Loebner Prize is given out every year for the machine that can fool a judge they're talking to a person for the space of a conversation. The judge chats to both a human and a machine about a few subjects - such as "What is a hammer for?" - and at the end of the time period, the judge has to pick which is the bot. After a twenty-five minute conversation with Suzette, a judge picked wrong.

Suzette's secret? Good, old-fashioned human manipulation. She diverted the conversation away from subjects she couldn't keep up in, and stayed in her comfort zone. You can have a quick talk with Suzette here.

site was down when i went, but i want to see what kind of diversionary tactics convinced a judge that it was a person and not a program.

interesting though.

[jai]

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
I can't believe this thing fooled anybody..

this is a screenshot of my very short, incredibly underwhelming conversation.

Deus

TRIBE Member
You have to be an idiot be fooled by this.
The replies come immediately after pressing enter with full punctuation and correct spelling.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
You have to be an idiot be fooled by this.
The replies come immediately after pressing enter with full punctuation and correct spelling.
Well, they probably added a delay for the competition, but you would think the judge wouldn't be fooled so easily by a simple subject change.. all I had to do was pursue the ignored line of questioning once more and suddenly she turned into a tardbot.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i have a feeling that the judge may not have realized or was thorough enough when chatting. its possible the judge allowed themselves to be deflected by the subject changes, who knows. if you know what to ask it though, its pretty easy to show its lack of being able to answer in specifics.

[jai]

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
if you know what to ask it though, its pretty easy to show its lack of being able to answer in specifics.
[jai]
I was honestly just checking it out, and wasn't trying to catch it in a deflection.. it's just that it happened immediately, and the deflection was pretty effing weak.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

silver1

TRIBE Member
I'm wondering if the judge has a defined set of questions that they ask both chat recipients (human vs. bot) as a control mechanism for the experiment which could have led them to thinking the bot was the human. i.e. maybe they didn't have free reign to try an "break" the bot.