• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Meet Morgan Baskin: She’s 18 years old and wants to be Toronto’s next mayor

Phat Buddha

TRIBE Member
Meet Morgan Baskin: She’s 18 years old and wants to be Toronto’s next mayor | Metro

1zpkw0y.jpg

Morgan Baskin is 18 years old. She lives in the downtown neighbourhood of Corktown and is set to graduate from high school in June. She likes to read and says she probably watches too much TV – or used to, anyway.

And, oh yeah, she’s running to be the next mayor of Toronto.

Baskin registered to run earlier this month and since then has faced a steady barrage of attention. The spotlight is always a good thing for an aspiring politician, but I’ve been wondering if the coverage hasn’t been portraying her only as a novelty – a wannabe teen mayor.

Morgan Baskin for Mayor | Just one girl trying to change the world, starting with her hometown

Maui

TRIBE Member
She has nice teeth. If she passes a bylaw that the city will pay for dental work for it's residents, she has my vote.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I think my grandmother had those glasses.

I'd toss her my vote if she had a chance of stealing votes directly from Ford.

I'd vote for a mule wearing a straw hat if it had a chance of stealing votes from Ford.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Well one would HOPE she respects the taxpayers!

Can she offer me soothing platitudes about how hard I work and how i deserve to not have a government hand in my pocket?

Can she employ jingoistic slogans that cast any and all taxes as unfair "grabs" by corrupt politicians and disconnect me from the things all around me my taxes pay for?

Can she talk about "getting the fiscal house in order" and then support policies that do the opposite?

Can she play on an outraged sense of violated fairness and remind me about how many cheaters there are out there living the high life on government largesse??

Cause if she can't do those things how is she going to stop the gravy train??

djfear

TRIBE Member
Corktown represent!

"On listening to the experts: Politicians aren’t urban planners, engineers, environmental planners or traffic experts. She says politicians should listen to those people when making decisions."

I like her already.

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Well one would HOPE she respects the taxpayers!

Can she offer me soothing platitudes about how hard I work and how i deserve to not have a government hand in my pocket?

Can she employ jingoistic slogans that cast any and all taxes as unfair "grabs" by corrupt politicians and disconnect me from the things all around me my taxes pay for?

Can she talk about "getting the fiscal house in order" and then support policies that do the opposite?

Can she play on an outraged sense of violated fairness and remind me about how many cheaters there are out there living the high life on government largesse??

Cause if she can't do those things how is she going to stop the gravy train??

Oh oh! And can she portray herself and her supporters as long-suffering victims of traditional power centers in the city?

Everyone loves a victim - its why we voted for Rob Ford and why his support hasn't completely evapourated.

She could become teflon too if she just played the victim card at EVERY opportunity!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
c'mon Prak, we can all agree after the respect the current regime has shown, change is welcome on that front. It's time for some disrespect.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
"I am constantly spending time with children, a skill set that I am sure is transferable to City Hall as well."

Otherwise known as her peers. Is that comment just youthful naivete or poor attitude?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders