1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Medical User Gets his Weed.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by EffinHard, Aug 27, 2003.

1. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

Medical user gets his weed
    Marijuana sent by Health Canada Toronto man gets first official pack

NICHOLAS KEUNG
    STAFF REPORTER

Jari Dvorak was thrilled when he was called into his doctor's office in Toronto yesterday to pick up a Health Canada package he'd been waiting for — and begging for — for more than seven years.

When he finally saw the two golden plastic bags, each filled with 30 grams of medical marijuana, his eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store.

The 62-year-old retired engineer started using marijuana in 1996 to help cope with nausea and side effects from medications for HIV infections, the virus that causes AIDS. He's been asking the government for legal access to the drug since then.

Yesterday, Dvorak finally smoked his first official joint since a legal victory last January, when the Superior Court of Justice struck down federal restrictions governing access to medical marijuana on constitutional grounds. Dvorak was one of 11 plaintiffs in that case. Yesterday, the drug was delivered by the health department through a Flin Flon, Man., lab contracted to the government.

"I look at the red maple leaf sign on the package and I feel so proud of Canada. It has a table of contents and an expiry date. It doesn't just look like a legal medication. It is a legal medication," said Dvorak, still inspecting the bags lying in front of him on a coffee table.

"Marijuana has helped me ease my pain and the pains of others with medical conditions. It's a big day for us. It's big step forward for Canada."

The Ontario court gave Ottawa six months to come up with a way of ensuring sick Canadians have access to the drug — including the possibility of setting up a regulated distribution system. The court ruled it's unconstitutional for the government to force seriously ill people to break the law in their attempt to obtain marijuana. Although about 580 Canadians had been granted licences to use marijuana for medical reasons, they had no official channel to buy it.

The government filed an appeal with the Ontario Court of Appeal, which was heard in July. The appeal court's ruling is expected to be released sometime in September. In the meantime, federal health officials established an interim distribution program, as required by the lower-court's ruling.

Health Canada said it received 25 applications for the interim program, which was launched last month, and has reviewed 14 of those files. Dvorak was among four applicants across Canada who received medical marijuana from their physicians yesterday. There has been no decision in the other 10 reviewed cases.

To qualify for the program, they must return their licences to possess and grow marijuana.

The government-issued drug is $5 a gram, half the price of street marijuana, Dvorak said.

"There are a lot of misconceptions that medical use of marijuana is just a smokescreen, but for people like myself and those with multiple sclerosis, suffering from spasms, it really helps us to ease our pain," said Dvorak, who was diagnosed HIV-positive in 1988.

Alan Young, a York University law professor and one of Dvorak's lawyers, was delighted with the news but said, `It's not a great system yet.

"They don't make the (application) process that simple."

All applicants are required to submit supporting letters from a physician and two lawyers, and patients say most doctors are reluctant to write the letter.

-------------------------------

But the real question is.. HOW GOOD IS DAT SHIT?

2. patri©k

patri©k TRIBE Member

trust me.... back in the 60's.. the THC level in pot was averaging 5-8%....

right now... 'good pot' averages between 14-20%...

the government has yeilded harvests with THC levels at approx. 37-40%

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

patrick

I'm sure it's the shizzle bam nizzle

3. Yourmamas

Yourmamas TRIBE Member

I have had 30% hand rubbed Indian Char. It was mental. I was retarded for a few hours.

I would love to have some of that Government shit.

4. Phat Buddha

Phat Buddha TRIBE Member

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2003/08/27/169656.html

"I'd give it a five on a scale from one to 10," said Jari Dvorak, who received a call Monday saying his two 30-gram bags of marijuana had been couriered and were ready to smoke.

:(

i guess when you pay $100 for an ounce of weed.... all you're getting is the stems and seeds :D

5. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

It's the shizzniddle bam, shit sap snap

6. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Medical User Gets his Weed.

Where did you get this info? I remember hearing that the THC levels of the government pot would be significantly LOWER than normal stuff.

7. Phat Buddha

Phat Buddha TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Medical User Gets his Weed.

"It's a splendid product, with a THC content of 10 per cent," Cindy Cripps-Prawak, director of the federal office of Cannabis Medical Access, said.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/07/10/1057783288781.html

8. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

^^ yup, that's what I understood

http://www.mapinc.org/ctcnews/v03/n1073/a13.html

9. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

If a sixty-something guy is giving it a 5 out of 10, i'll stick to the blueberry.

A table of contents would be nice though, kinda like liner notes. The back story of your strain..

10. depraved

depraved TRIBE Member