• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Media Streaming Thread

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I just hook my laptop up to my TV with an HDMI cable. What do things like Boxee offer over such an option?
this is the option i am about to explore as well. hook up the laptop to the lcd tv with PC mode. Que up a video on VLC and watch it on the big screen. Am i missing something?

praktik

TRIBE Member
im pretty much the same, just hardwired with video and audio cables to my desktop, all in the same room so i just basically run it off the comp all the time...

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I ended up buying a TV with an Ethernet port and DLNA support and so far so good.

I'm sure I will come across a few formats it can not handle but so far all the shows we have are working.

... ps. Hard drive prices are craaaaaaaazy. Wow.
can you share the make and modle of the tv. i have always though ethernet was the way to connect a tv. usb, hdmi are yesterday. plug in a ethernet and you have the full range of computer abilities. what are the specs

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Myself, I like having a huge blu ray movie collection thanks to torrents. Large files and the wife loves her huge music library.

Keeping this all on the computer no longer makes sense. And the idea of plugging in an external then plugging into the tv via hdmi seems unnessercy now I suppose. Which is why I am leaning toward WD live tv hub.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
this is the option i am about to explore as well. hook up the laptop to the lcd tv with PC mode. Que up a video on VLC and watch it on the big screen. Am i missing something?
no and it works like a charm, the media centre just offers a single location to store media, no more no less.

I do this to stream Leafs games for example.

VLC will play anything so you should have no problem. if I recall correctly you have a MacBPro if thats the case you may need to switch your audio output to your TV. that's about the only modification I need to make.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I took my Boxee back.

I liked it but since this is Dlink I would want and now expect this kind of functionality built IN to routers. soon i'm sure.

Sorting files was a bitch I never got the handle of it. I had folders for movies and TV shows. I would have boxee search each one since the file area has tv/pics/movie options. Everything would get mixed together regardless of the sections/folders.

Netlix was SLOW as fuck. 5 times faster on the ps3.
The webstreaming was terrible quality.

I might not have thought that part through but I have a great tv/soundsystem but i'm streaming off of xyz website and the pic quality is just not there.

navi-x was nice but only some things worked.

I LOVED pandora and use it still.

In the end I couldnt justify 200$ to do what my ps3 already does (minus some files but meh). I also called bell to cancel my satalite but instead got a free new hd reciver and another 30$ off a month for a year (technically would have paid for the boxee).

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Assume you mean the WDTV Live Hub? If so it must be NTFS, otherwise it would not be able to handle large MKV files due to the 4gb limitation of FAT32. Not sure what you mean by 'I thought storage was FAT32, I think, so it'd be useless with a PC'... FAT32 is a DOS/Windows standard so it most certainly works with PCs.

That said just get the non-storage version of the WDTV and be done with it...
It could possibly be exFAT.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Purchased a PC yesterday, for the purpose of streaming media (AMD A3 quad core 2.9/4GB/1TB/DVD/HDMI out for 375!!!)

I've opted for XBMC, but i'm crazily overwhelmed. I've browsed through wiki.xbmc.org, and have a better idea of what's going on - but still feel overwhelmed. I've only got about 84GB of video, and still don't know where to start in getting all the info in working order to work with the XBMC library.

I've heard of people having unlimited TV at their fingertips, but with icefilms down - i'm not sure how people are doing this.

I'd be willing to cook a fanatstic dinner to whoever has enough time to spend a few hours with me to get this set up. :p

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Why not go the Windows 7 Media Center route?

Lobo
Why go the Windows & Media Center Route? in the two nights that i've played with it, XBMC seems way more powerful and customization. Just yesterday, i added a Adult Repository that gives me all of YouJizz' library at my finger tips! Can W7MC do that? :D

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Project Free TV is a good replacement for icefilms.
yeah, that's what i've heard. I downloaded the add -on, but there's a script error. going to have to spend more time on it.

last night, i figured out how to work the whole library thing. had to spend an hour or so going through my titles and doing some manual lookups on the scrapers, but things are looking better.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
holy crap, xbmc is just getting better and better.

I've got a bit better of a grasp on how things work, and have brushed up on my xml at the same time.

added some pretty awesome add-ons. Also added the ability to use my android to select my media and use it as a remote control. so dope.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
I took my Boxee back.

I liked it but since this is Dlink I would want and now expect this kind of functionality built IN to routers. soon i'm sure.

Sorting files was a bitch I never got the handle of it. I had folders for movies and TV shows. I would have boxee search each one since the file area has tv/pics/movie options. Everything would get mixed together regardless of the sections/folders.

Netlix was SLOW as fuck. 5 times faster on the ps3.
The webstreaming was terrible quality.

I might not have thought that part through but I have a great tv/soundsystem but i'm streaming off of xyz website and the pic quality is just not there.

navi-x was nice but only some things worked.

I LOVED pandora and use it still.

In the end I couldnt justify 200$ to do what my ps3 already does (minus some files but meh). I also called bell to cancel my satalite but instead got a free new hd reciver and another 30$ off a month for a year (technically would have paid for the boxee).

Bell roped you in. They're aware of cord cutters and are working hard to keep people (for a change, compared to getting new customers).

I never did end up getting a media streaming device, as HIG said, the PS3 can do it, although buggy at times. I haven't had much difficulty lately, except with accessing Hulu and Netflix from the PS3. My smart TV can access both of those, but not as nice looking as the PS3 dashboard.

Still undecided on which device to choose, as Apple TV is starting to get interesting.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
Just bought a WDTV Live. My 360 won't work with a lot of the Tv torrents now that they are switching to MP4. Also I had been paying for Netflix but rarely using it as my 360 didn't have a Wifi connection. So far seems pretty sweet.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Im still using my PS3 with PS3 media player installed on my computer to stream movies. Its hard wired from my PS3 to my computer.

Yet, I still have problems streaming big MKV. files. Or nice copies of blue rays. Im trying to figure out what a better solution would be. Ive looked at the roku 3 and the western media drive. I would like to be able to have a file on my computer and be able to stream it to my tv. Any ideas that would work with my ps3?
do i need to buy a media player and ditch the ps3 for stream purposes.
what do you use that is slick?

alison87

TRIBE Member
A friend of mine upgraded her PS3 to an Ouya running XBMC and she reckons it's the best thing since sliced bread. $100, done.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I was looking at the Ouya

https://www.ouya.tv/

I saw that i plays games, but i didnt realize it can run the xbmc. I assume it can run MKV. files.

I wish there was an option with the hardware i have.

Can XBMC be loaded onto a xbox 360?

greginhali

TRIBE Member
welcome to 2014 G. I just built myself a HTPC. and i friggin love it. PS3 can go suck a dick to this world of streaming.

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
Yet, I still have problems streaming big MKV. files. Or nice copies of blue rays.
It sounds like you haven't fully configured ps3 media server correctly. Mine is hard wired as well... over 20 meters and I can stream any size file or quality, even 40gb 1080p 3d blue-ray rips. On mac osx you can edit the p-list data file and change some things like allocated ram size/amount, etc. The default is like 1 gb of ram so if your machine has a bunch of ram you can adjust the numbers and save the data file. After I did that I had 0 problems streaming large HD files.

Vise

TRIBE Member
On a related note I got a Google Chromecast for Xmas and have been playing around with it the last 2 days. Very tight integration with Android devices as expected and all in all a very neat device. At $35 it is a no brainer simply for the ability to throw video/browser content from your phone or tablet to your TV. So far it has worked flawlessly too.

Stupid that it isn't available in Canada yet but hopefully soon.

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
welcome to 2014 G. I just built myself a HTPC. and i friggin love it. PS3 can go suck a dick to this world of streaming.
If you have a ps3, then what's the point of wasting more money building an HTPC? Ps3 is more than enough for actual games, dlna servers and streaming apps like netflix. ;)