• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Meat and Potatoes

Preroller

TRIBE Member
The Plasma TV thread inspired me...

I've been thinking lately about new technology...specifically vehicles.

We rented a brand new Ford Freestar to drive around Banff, Jasper and Kootenaay National parks, the end of Dec. it had 400 kms when we picked it up, and drove about 1000 kms all said when 'the incident' happened. get about halfway into Kootenaay park and we hear a beeping all of the sudden, and pull over. Then we smell burning plastic/rubber. Look under the hood to find a raging fire! the connecter from the + on the battery to the alternator had a small plastic connecter that had broken and the cable welded itself to a non protected metal pipe and was GLOWING red hot. we put out the fire, and wasted 8 hours trying to get back to CGY.

So, that being said, I have always had a problem with power doors, power this, power that, to my mind its just more shit that will break, and break sooner. You certainly don't get more bang for the buck as this thing retailed for about 40,000 plus taxes and other fees! Now im sure KMW or Astroboy have enough cash to buy these kinds of vehicles, but the vast majority of people can't afford to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford a brand new car, and if it costs at least 30 grand say for one, it better dam well work.

What happened to the old days of METAL and STEEL cars that worked, or if there was something wrong, at least you had some idea of how to fix it (well at least I do). Well, I know what happened, i guess, the companies don't make anywhere near as much money if they actually produced good working cars that lasted, and the plastic is cheaper and easier to lug around the plants.

I was also reading a bit about all this On star type stuff, and they are now convicting people based on the information that they can retrive from your vehicle. They can tell how fast you are going at all times, if you have your seatbelt on, if you've been in a collision, if you hit the brakes before impact in accidents.

I want my 69 Cuda back! Give me the 'Homer!' hehe.

I'm angry that brotha man(me) gonna break a window, gonna steal a hubcap, gonna smoke a joint, brotha man gonna go to jail....but the man who stole America, the corperate loserfaces who stole things that work,....is not in jail...beg your pardon?

DAVE

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Preroller
Then we smell burning plastic/rubber. Look under the hood to find a raging fire! the connecter from the + on the battery to the alternator had a small plastic connecter that had broken ...
Buy a car without a battery then. :rolleyes:

All cars have problems. Whether they are $10,000 or $100,000. Everyone expects perfection, and it simply is not possible with a purchase that involves so many complex, and moving parts.

Cheers ... Ian :)

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
we tried onstar, asked it directions to a street that was just two streets over. we were in markham and it tried to send us to cambridge.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
my car has 550,000 km on it.

No power windows, no power locks, three wiper speeds. The only "option" it has is the seat warmers that stopped working back in the early 90's.

All the options just lead to more to break and piss you off in my opinion. I got rid of my audi because I couldn't keep the electrical system working and it kept on pissing me off.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Meat and Potatoes

Originally posted by Soundstream
Buy a car without a battery then. :rolleyes:

All cars have problems. Whether they are $10,000 or $100,000. Everyone expects perfection, and it simply is not possible with a purchase that involves so many complex, and moving parts.

Well, they could have at least put some kind of cover over the metal pipe, that may have prevented a huge problem. and I don't expect perfection, just something that is reliable for 40 or 50 grand. and with all the computer chips and electronics, there is no way a 'regular' person can diagnos whats wrong with their vehicle and do some preventative maintenace on it.

and I call bullshit, they can make inporvments, but then people would be able to drive their vehicles for 20 years, and not have to get gouged when they bring their car in for trades and get a whopping 2000 dollers on a decent car trade in.

Can anyone help me out with this tidbit I heard when I was in School in Sarnia. Esso had a guy working there, who invented a carborator that, when installed on any vehicle, would improve gas mileage to 90-100 m/g on any vehicle. They gave that guy lots of money so they could bury this knowledge. I understand that people need jobs and money, but don't you think that would be something everyone else would want to have on their car?

DAVE

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kat

TRIBE Member
Kootenaay park
one of my cats is named after this park/river/indian tribe
koots is a good kitten, although sometimes tempermental

we used to have a cat named jasper.

that is all i have to add..

well also, i like meat and potatoes. prepared in various ways.

yesyes.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Meat and Potatoes

Well, they could have at least put some kind of cover over the metal pipe, that may have prevented a huge problem.
I know what you mean, but that piece of plastic falling off probably happens VERY rarely, and so in testing it never occured, so the need to install a cover for the pipe was not necessary.

I've had my fair share of vehicle problems and you just have to live with it because it is part of life. Now granted if you own a car and it is in the shop on a monthly basis, then there is a reason to be upset.

Now in your case it would have been nice if the rental company refunded you part, if not all of your rental costs.