1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

me and my TODDLER in toronto

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by soulmantra, Aug 17, 2010.

1. soulmantra

soulmantra TRIBE Member

so i'll be in toronto in early september with my nearly 2 year old daughter.

i'm trying to decide if i should stay close to downtown or if there is a better option. we have less than a week so looking for any suggested activities that would be good for the two of us. she's still napping in the afternoon so hoping to find a location that is good to go out early and then again after nap time.

any tips / sites to share?

i've already checked out help we've got kids.
  2. blueshrike

blueshrike TRIBE Member

I'm not sure I have the answer to your question. Most likely I don't. But if I knew why you were coming and what you wanted to do with your days, I might have a better idea if I am qualified to answer the question. hint hint. :)
  3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Close to downtown is probably best; close to TTC is convenient; a number of libraries have a reading to toddlers program; there are also drop-in play areas, not to mention the playgrounds in a bunch of parks, and the beach and so on.
  4. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

is 2 too young to go to ontario place? they have lots of kids stuff there.
  5. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^ I was wondering about that; I think given that this one still naps and all it's a bit early.
  6. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

so much to do ---

our little girl who is almost 2 loves the dinosaurs at the ROM --- it's a good option and the batcave is also a big hit...

We also spent some time wandering around Ontario Place (but only because Elmo was there) --- I wouldn't really recommend it.

Also, Centre Island is a fun place to visit -- Lots of space to run around...

The zoo is also a lot of fun --- It's a bit of a hike from downtown, but would be possible...

Harbourfront is another good option --- We just look for some music and it keeps her entertained for hours :)

ps jacques -- hope all is well with your little addition :)
  7. blueshrike

blueshrike TRIBE Member

Yes he is doing well ... smiling up a storm :)
  8. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Me and my TODDLER!
  9. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

high Park is fun. You can take the "train" around the park (it is not really a train but it is a bus pulled by a tractor), there is a tiny zoo, hiking trails, kids play areas, a pool. and it's pretty cheap. 6 bucks for the train,the zoo is free, pool is a few bucks.
  10. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Not much for a 2 yr old in the city that still naps. I'm in the same boat. Try to zoo in Scarborough. Or Black Creek Village, which I haven't been to since I was a kid. We took my son to an FC game when he was one and he loved it.
  11. soulmantra

soulmantra TRIBE Member

thanks for the ideas. turns out my brother has some time off while we're there and we're planning to stay at his place in etobicoke.

so far planning on...

- zoo
    - centre island
    - science centre (maybe... they have an undersea imax and some kids activities)
    - ROM dinosaurs

12. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I wouldn't actually recommend the Zoo for a toddler. The exhibits are *really* far apart. I tried taking my little ones and there was a lot of whining and sore leg complaints, and they didn't seem to care too much about the animals when they were that young. The biggest hit of the day was some normal ducks in a pond which we could have seen at any park for free.
  13. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

The ROM is perfect. There are a few hands on areas for kids that work for all ages. Took our 3.5 year old and 1 year old last week with great success. Now we have a membership!
  14. Moez

Moez TRIBE Member

Visiting me???? ;)