• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

McSupersizes to be phased out

Rocky

TRIBE Member
CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Say goodbye to those supersized fries -- McDonald's is slimming down its menu.

The hamburger giant has started phasing out its trademark Supersize fries and drinks in its U.S. restaurants as part of an effort to simplify its menu and give customers choices that support a balanced lifestyle, a company spokesman said Tuesday.

By the end of 2004, Supersize will no longer be available at the nation's 13,000-plus McDonald's outlets except in certain promotions, McDonald's spokesman Walt Riker said.

The move comes as the world's largest restaurant company, and fast-food chains in general, are under growing public pressure to give consumers healthier food options in a nation that has suddenly become aware of its bulging waistline and the health dangers that come with it.

McDonald's added entree salads last year and has been moving to provide more fruit, vegetable and yogurt options with its Happy Meals. But the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company remains a magnet for public concerns -- and legal actions -- when it comes to obesity.

Riker said the changes started going into effect in January.

"This core menu, which has been under development since 2002, simplifies our menu and restaurant operations and provides a balance of choices for our customers," he said. "A component of this overall simplification, menu and balanced lifestyle strategy is the ongoing phase-out of the Supersize fry and the Supersize drink options."

The company did not immediately disclose other details of the menu changes.

Two lawsuits claiming McDonald's hid the health risks of eating Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets were thrown out in federal court in New York last year.

But the issue hasn't disappeared.

An award-winning documentary called "Super Size Me" has heaped on more unwanted publicity for McDonald's. The documentary, which chronicles the deterioration of filmmaker Morgan Spurlock's health during a monthlong experiment eating nothing but McDonald's food, won a directing prize at the Sundance Film Festival and is set for wide release this spring.

Riker said the phasing out of super-sizing has "nothing to do with that (film) whatsoever."

The company earlier issued a statement calling the documentary "a super-sized distortion of the quality, choice and variety available at McDonald's." It says the film is not about McDonald's but about Spurlock's decision to act irresponsibly by eating 5,000 calories a day -- "a gimmick to make a film."
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/03/02/mcdonalds.supersize.ap/index.html

defazman

TRIBE Member
Jeus, it's not like people couldnt order a medium fries now if they wanted too. McDonalds is just saying "You're too stupid to eat better, so we're making the choice for you"

Funzo

TRIBE Member
I love how "the public is putting pressure" on Mcd's to offer healthier choices. It would be a nightmare if you made yourself a healthy lunch instead of eathing shit.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman
Jeus, it's not like people couldnt order a medium fries now if they wanted too. McDonalds is just saying "You're too stupid to eat better, so we're making the choice for you"
Are you implying that there is anything wrong with this?

Most people are in fact too stupid to make good decisions. If they weren't, they wouldn't all be buying super mega ultra size fries and getting epidemically fat.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gunark
Are you implying that there is anything wrong with this?
Most people are in fact too stupid to make good decisions. If they weren't, they wouldn't all be buying super mega ultra size fries and getting epidemically fat.
There is something wrong with it. You have a choice at all times. Laziness and stupidity don't count.

Brandon

TRIBE Member
Or McDonald's might re-introduce the large size fries...it's been small, medium, supersize at the McD's I've been to for a long time...

And how about bringing back the pizza?

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Gunark
Actually, if they weren't stupid, they would never eat at McDonalds.

I haven't eaten any in 14 months now. That shit is not fit for consumption.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I want to know why there isn't a combo where I can order a Burger, small fries and small drink. I never can finish the drink or fries when I get a combo. But buying the combo with large sizes is cheaper than ordering all the peices seperately

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Holy fuck. if people want healthier alternatives, how about not going to McD's or BK or any other fast food joint?

Fuck, let the people eat as much as they want. If they're too stupid to realise what they are doing to themselves, let them eat themselves to death. Call it a culling of the herd.

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby

Fuck, let the people eat as much as they want. If they're too stupid to realise what they are doing to themselves, let them eat themselves to death. Call it a culling of the herd.
Werd. Natural selection for the 21st century!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

gollum

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
Werd. Natural selection for the 21st century!
Exactly. I like ragging on McDonalds because its a giant corporate machine, but you have to respect their abilities as a giant corporate machine.

I have huge problems with people who say its McDonalds fault that people are fat. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, and stop trying to find scapegoats.

I think companies should have to disclose what ingredients are in their products, and the nutritional values, that is it.

Then by making informed decisions people can choose to eat shit like mcdonalds or not.

Personally I completely understand what mcdonalds does to my body and have no problem eating it every once in a while.

lok

TRIBE Member
Holy fuck. if people want healthier alternatives, how about not going to McD's or BK or any other fast food joint?

I dont eat sweets anymore because its bad for your health you know.... umm yes I'll take a coke thanks."

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lok
I dont eat sweets anymore because its bad for your health you know.... umm yes I'll take a coke thanks."
"I'll have a Big Mac, Large fries, and, oh, I'm on a diet, so a large diet Coke."

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
"I'll have a Big Mac, Large fries, and, oh, I'm on a diet, so a large diet Coke."
hahaha...

oh wait,thats not funny anymore.get some new material.;)

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
how about mcdonald's doesn't try to pretend that they provide healthy, balanced meals and then people can stop whining false advertising and claim that they didn't know eating big macs every day would be detrimental to their health?

as if eliminating the supersized options is going to make any difference.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
There is actually a lot of sense in that. By having the diet coke instead of the regular coke, you cut out 300 calories.

Do that at each meal, and that's 900 calories a day....

Which could potentially mean losing 1 pound every 4 days... and for someone who is obese, that's a helluva trick for doing such a small thing.

People look for pills, or quick fixes, when if they really just made small changes such as drinking diet pop instead of regular, they could lose 50 pounds a year.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
So they lose 1 lb every 4 days by drinking diet coke instead of coke. But the 5lbs every 4 days that they gain by eating all the shit that they do, more than makes up for it.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
So they lose 1 lb every 4 days by drinking diet coke instead of coke. But the 5lbs every 4 days that they gain by eating all the shit that they do, more than makes up for it.
No, you see, if some fat fuck who weighs 450 pounds and eats nothing but shit all day does something as simple as switching some of the shit to non-shit, they will lose pounds.

It's just a matter of calorie deficit. Simple, basic arithmetic, nothing too complex.

That's all I will say on the matter. Just think about it for a second.