• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

McDonalds McRib photos before cooking

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

It looks likes like styrofoam blocks but it is actually McRibs ready before they are camouflaged with BBQ sauce and bun.

octo

TRIBE Member
what do you expect frozen ground pork formed into a rectangular patty to look like.

here's what fresh ground pork looks like. pic taken with a better camera.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

octo

TRIBE Member
here's what an aged steak looks like. do you find it appetizing?

i think we can all agree that it tastes great once cooked and looks much more appetizing

octo

TRIBE Member
raw baby back ribs

here's what they look like camouflaged by cooking and bbq sauce

now i'm fucking hungry!!

acheron

TRIBE Member
you can get cases of 'pre-formed pork rib portions' at costco. or is it food basics.. anyway, couple that with some decent bbq sauce and dill pickle on a kaiser, you've got yourself a home-made mcrib.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya seems like more opportunity for people to try and stake out the "I care about my food choices" moral high ground, where this kind of mockery of "pedestrian" food choices is a basic form of currency.

Let's all mock the plebes and reflect upon how our choices have been superior.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
Booo to wet aging...
why is dry aging better? it doesn't make it any more tender, if anything, studies have shown wet aging is equal to, if not better then traditional dry aging, for a number of reasons (save for an enhanced flavor profile, which is subjective in nature anyways).

also, if you eat at mcdonalds you prob don't care what your food looks like before it's cooked so who gives a fuck, right? it's mcdonalds ffs, you know that going in. nothing wrong with that. is what it is, still don't make it right tho...

Vise

TRIBE Member
why is dry aging better?
Because of the enhanced flavour profile you mentioned. I'm sure short term dry aged probably doesn't taste much different than the wet aged equivalent... but once you get into 45-60 day or longer the difference is immediately apparent. I've had 90 day+ dry aged beef (most notably at Carnevino in Vegas) and it was ridiculous. Complex, beefy, nutty flavours that you won't find in a wet aged supermarket steak.

It's an individual thing I guess, I'm sure lots of people are just perfectly fine with their 2 week wet aged beef tenderloin (bleh) or whatever. I've always associated wet aging beef with the commercial meat industry's desire to minimize shrinkage/weight loss and speed time to market... but perhaps there are benefits I'm missing.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
Because of the enhanced flavour profile you mentioned. I'm sure short term dry aged probably doesn't taste much different than the wet aged equivalent... but once you get into 45-60 day or longer the difference is immediately apparent. I've had 90 day+ dry aged beef (most notably at Carnevino in Vegas) and it was ridiculous. Complex, beefy, nutty flavours that you won't find in a wet aged supermarket steak.

It's an individual thing I guess, I'm sure lots of people are just perfectly fine with their 2 week wet aged beef tenderloin (bleh) or whatever. I've always associated wet aging beef with the commercial meat industry's desire to minimize shrinkage/weight loss and speed time to market... but perhaps there are benefits I'm missing.
we dry age all our steaks for minimum 28 days at our restaurants (spencers in burlington, ancaster mill, cambridge mill). there is a noticeable difference from when we used the bagged steaks. we've hired a butcher who does it all on our farm, and then we'll "feature" something that he's got around on top of that. had a 60 day tomahawk for dinner last night that was nutty and delicious. i also had a mcrib on monday that was not nutty, but delicious nonetheless.

c.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I suppose I could google it and read a long article on the process, but maybe you guys care to enlighten... How do steaks get dry aged and not go bad? Never mind wet aging which I'd never even heard of. Could you do it at home? I understand the flavour improves, but how? Does something happen to the fat?

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
I suppose I could google it and read a long article on the process, but maybe you guys care to enlighten... How do steaks get dry aged and not go bad? Never mind wet aging which I'd never even heard of. Could you do it at home? I understand the flavour improves, but how? Does something happen to the fat?
technically, dry aged steaks are rotting, which is the whole point. the enzymes naturally found in the meat start to break down the proteins and fats into smaller components (= flavour). example of this is the natural occurrence of glutamate (the 'G' in MSG). "wet aging" is simply a steak sitting in a sealed plastic bag. the aging process is still occurring, it's just slower and with the added bonus of no evaporation of water (weight stays the same, can sell 'more'). you can absolutely do it at home. i'll buy pieces of rib eyes and cut it off as i need it over a 2-3 week span, with the caveat that it may pick up odors from whatever else is in your fridge. even a supermarket bought steak will benefit from being left uncovered in your fridge for a couple days.

c.

octo

TRIBE Member
there are also things that grow (fungus?) on the outside of the steak (that you cut off before cooking). the "fungus" also contributes enzymes that break down the steak adding flavour and tenderness.

i read somewhere that you need a fatty cut of meet for aging. like, you wouldn't age piece of tenderloin. you need the fats in the aging process.

i'm going to have a mcrib later!

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
I don't understand. The ingredients for the McRib itself consist of pork, water, salt, sugar and three preservatives. These are less total ingredients than found in my "all natural" deli chicken slices. Who cares if my McRib contains tripe, heart and stomach? So they should call this a deconstructed McHaggis. Still delicious.
Really? Did you read the article? 70.. Far from the 6 you listed.

Maybe you read the article and I am missing something?

Jay

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders