• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

McDonalds hamburgers are made from dog food grade "meat filled with ammonia" says Jamie Oliver

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Jamie Oliver Campaign makes McDonald’s change recipe

Chef Jamie Oliver won a battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise announced it will change its recipe.

According to Oliver, the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption.

According to the chef and presenter, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry: “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Besides the low quality of the meat, the ammonium hydroxide is harmful to health. Oliver calls it “the pink slime process.”

“Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?” asked the chef, who wages a war against the fast food industry.

In one of his initiatives, Oliver demonstrates to children how nuggets are made. After selecting the best parts of the chicken, the remains (fat, skin and internal organs) are processed for these fried foods.

The company, Arcos Dorados, the franchise manager in Latin America, said such a procedure is not practiced in the region. The same applies to the product in Ireland and the UK, where they use meat from local suppliers.

In the United States, Burger King and Taco Bell had already abandoned the use of ammonia in their products. The food industry uses ammonium hydroxide as an anti-microbial agent in meats, which has allowed McDonald’s to use otherwise “inedible meat.”

Even more disturbing is that because ammonium hydroxide is considered part of the “component in a production procedure” by the USDA, consumers may not know when the chemical is in their food.

On the official website of McDonald’s, the company claims that their meat is cheap because, while serving many people every day, they are able to buy from their suppliers at a lower price, and offer the best quality products.

In addition, the franchise denied that the decision to change the recipe is related to Jamie Oliver’s campaign. On the site, McDonald’s has admitted that they have abandoned the beef filler from its burger patties.

[YOUTUBE]wshlnRWnf30[/YOUTUBE]

Jamie Oliver Campaign makes McDonald

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Newsflash. I dislike him. More than McDonald's. I mean, stfu. Just go cook and stfu.
It would actually take a lot more than MoFo hating Jamie Oliver to get me to eat anything at McDonalds!

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Newsflash. I dislike him. More than McDonald's. I mean, stfu. Just go cook and stfu.
who gives a fuck if you dont like him.

im glad someone is holding fucking chains like macdonalds accountable for their business practice.

regardless of whether you eat there or not , this is a good thing.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Who isn't holding them accountable? lol

You gotta be an idiot to know that smoking, McDonald's and any fast food is bad for you.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Who isn't holding them accountable? lol

You gotta be an idiot to know that smoking, McDonald's and any fast food is bad for you.
Well apparently there are a lot of idiots out there, McDonalds earned USD $27.6 BILLION in revenues last year.

I respect what he's trying to do. Some people need to see things presented to them in a certain shocking manner to wake up. Not everyone takes in information in the same way.

I appreciate that he's taking on a task that will make him hated by many, and he's doing it from a place of good intention.

His approach to showing people where foods actually come from is the kind of thing that can really stick with a child. Present that message at the right time, and you can make a lasting change.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
So I am going to guess they will find some other cleansing agent to use which may or may not be healthier for consumption.

It's not like these burgers will be made of USDA prime beef from here on out.

who gives a fuck if you dont like him.

im glad someone is holding fucking chains like macdonalds accountable for their business practice.

regardless of whether you eat there or not , this is a good thing.
Exactly. He's championed more nutritious meals for kids and adults and striking out against the idea that home cooked or anything outside of a fast food chain is too expensive or doesn't taste good.

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
A lot of the blame put on fast food should be directed at the consumer - it's the same amount of time waiting in line for a mcchicken (sweet, delicious hangover sandwich from the kitchen of the gods...) as it is to chop up a bell pepper - but you can't text your friends the crazy drunk pics from last night's shenanigans while using both hands to prepare food yourself.

It's instant gratification at the cost of a couple loonies and the health of your intestinal lining. But people make that call over and over again. After listing the ingredients and daily recommending intake percentages, McDonald's doesn't really have much responsibility to you as a consume to make a product healthy for you body.

Instead they should be held accountable for the lifestyle they present as positive: a healthy middle class family of four smiling over their sugary drinks and salt "meat" sandwiches... this is the false representation.

All Mcdonald's ads should be shot in the the atrium on bay by the bus station before 8am on a tuesday.

That'll make you think twice about not taking the time to cut that bell pepper!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Well apparently there are a lot of idiots out there, McDonalds earned USD $27.6 BILLION in revenues last year.

I respect what he's trying to do. Some people need to see things presented to them in a certain shocking manner to wake up. Not everyone takes in information in the same way.

I appreciate that he's taking on a task that will make him hated by many, and he's doing it from a place of good intention.

His approach to showing people where foods actually come from is the kind of thing that can really stick with a child. Present that message at the right time, and you can make a lasting change.
Or present another way to market the brand into people's brains.
I wonder what sales were after Supersize Me.

Funnily enough the addition of healthy options has upped the sales in the next quarters. But not of the healthy stuff because eventually the consumer chooses to add a Big Mac meal to their salad or they'll get a large fries with the whatever wrap.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Instead they should be held accountable for the lifestyle they present as positive: a healthy middle class family of four smiling over their sugary drinks and salt "meat" sandwiches... this is the false representation.
When I go to mickey dees its usually as a healthy middle class family of 4. Pretty much nobody else has the same amenities for kids and parents as mcdonalds does in the same category.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I often wonder if our views of what we should be easting will ever change. Or what it will take for it to happen but I applaud the way Jamie Oliver has taken this on.

A few years ago, I saw a presentation by a consumer behaviour researcher where she presented a study she had done where she showed that people ordered fries more often to go with their burger when there was salad on the menu.

They couldn't really explain why as the goal of the study was to see what would happen when salad was offered as a menu choice but some guessed that we felt like we were eating in a healthy place simply because salad was on the menu, so we could order whatever we wanted.

Other people wondered if the fast food industry knew this already and it was part of their strategy to sell more french fries (which have insane margins on them).

BTW, if you're interested in consumer behavior and how people's brains work when stimulated by marketing, check our Martin Lindstrom's book Buyology.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
A few years ago, I saw a presentation by a consumer behaviour researcher where she presented a study she had done where she showed that people ordered fries more often to go with their burger when there was salad on the menu.
Newsflash, fries taste immensely better than fucking salads.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Well when comparing places that offer fries and salads a la mcd's chances are your salad isn't full of delicious arugula, goat cheese and walnuts.