• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

McClellan Resigns Post as White House Spokesman

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
McClellan Resigns Post as White House Spokesman

April 19 (Bloomberg) -- White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan announced his resignation, the latest personnel change in a Bush administration struggling to find its footing in the face of political setbacks and declining public approval ratings.

Karl Rove, Bush's deputy chief of staff and his top political adviser also is shifting roles, the Associated Press and CNN reported, citing unnamed administration officials.

Rove is giving up the job of policy coordinator and will focus on political strategy, while keeping his title as deputy chief of staff, AP reported. Joel Kaplan, the No. 2 person at the Office of Management and Budget, will become deputy chief of staff for policy, according to CNN.

McClellan, the public face of the administration for nearly three years, said he told President George W. Bush that the White House staff was ``in transition'' and that it was time for him to depart. ``I've given you my all,'' he told Bush as they shook hands in front of a crowd of reporters at the White House.

``It's going to be hard to replace Scott,'' Bush said, calling him a spokesman with ``class and integrity'' and thanking him for ``a job well done.''

McClellan's departure comes as Bush's new chief of staff, former budget director Joshua Bolten, reorganizes the top level of the administration. Bolten took over the job April 15, replacing Andrew Card. Bush yesterday nominated Rob Portman as budget chief to replace Card and he named Susan Schwab, currently a deputy trade representative, to replace Portman as the top U.S. trade negotiator.

War, Stalled Agenda

Bush granted Bolten, a one-time campaign aide and former director of Goldman Sachs International Inc. in London, authority to clean house. The president, his approval ratings in polls eroding, faces a host of challenges led by the war in Iraq, a largely stalled legislative agenda and lawmakers in Congress charting their own courses as they prepare for elections in November.

Neither McClellan nor Bush said when the resignation would take effect, although McClellan said he would stay for several weeks to work with his replacement on the transition. No successor to McClellan was named.

McClellan, on Monday, said Bolten told senior aides that day to ``refresh, reengage'' or quit now.

McClellan, 38, took the job of spokesman in July, 2003. He is a Texan who began working for Bush in 1999, when the then- governor of Texas opened his presidential campaign. McClellan became Bush's traveling press secretary midway through that year, and the president in 2001 tapped him as deputy press secretary at the White House.
Last Updated: April 19, 2006 10:20 EDT

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aC02Mqwr7kR8&refer=top_world_news

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
I hate Scott McClellan *SO* much...I've seriously never seen such a lack of integrity in my entire life. He had NO qualms about LYING to the press on a regular basis...when directly confronted with his own lies, he would just repeat the message of the day. He was infuriating to watch--a douche bag of monumental proportions. I seriously hope his reputation is garbage and will follow him around for the rest of his life.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
SellyCat.....it's his job. I couldn't stand watching him either but what else did you expect him to do in that role? He was a mouthpiece and nothing more. I just wonder if his conscience caught up to him and he got sick of all the self-loathing he HAD to feel every night when he got home. In other words, I wonder if he actually resigned or was pushed.

I was always amazed at the complete and utter lack of expression on his face as he delivered his briefings in front of an increasingly unfriendly press gallery. He never blinked, never showed ANY emotion at all. The guy's an android.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Maybe there's an extra Stephen Harper model left at Homunculus-R-Us that they can have ready to go in a few days...

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Vincent Vega said:
SellyCat.....it's his job. I couldn't stand watching him either but what else did you expect him to do in that role? He was a mouthpiece and nothing more. I just wonder if his conscience caught up to him and he got sick of all the self-loathing he HAD to feel every night when he got home. In other words, I wonder if he actually resigned or was pushed.

I was always amazed at the complete and utter lack of expression on his face as he delivered his briefings in front of an increasingly unfriendly press gallery. He never blinked, never showed ANY emotion at all. The guy's an android.

I recognise that it's his job BUT he could have quit...the dedication he had in being such a peice-of-shit justifies my ire. And also, working for THIS administration is different from working for others--yes they all practice disinformation, but this particular White House is simply quite amazing about it!