1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Mayor David Miller press conference

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by agentRC4, Mar 9, 2010.

1. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

What is Mayor Miller going to announce tomorrow at 9??

Hopefully Gaimbonners is leaving.

Mayor David Miller has called the media to the Mayor's Protocol Lounge at City Hall on Wednesday morning for what the city is calling an "important" announcement.

It is not yet known what he plans to announce.

The annoucement is scheduled for 9:30 a.m.

2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

he knew what was in the bag.

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Let's hope Miller's not going to announce that he has decided to run again after all (because he wants to spend less time with his family)

4. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I hope he does run! 'cuz I'll vote for him in a heartbeat and he'll win, too!

5. alexd

he will announce a new iphone ap that instantly calculates the city's deficits

6. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

miller has run toronto into the ground

7. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Yes. The current race I don't know who to vote for as nobody sticks out as a good candidate. Miller is way better than all of them.

whatever. :rolleyes:

8. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Looks like they checked under the cushions of the couch and found a whole lot of loose change.

9. alexd

The news conference was an attempt to try and repair his "legacy".. He claimed that due to some new accounting they have discovered a 100 million dollar budget surplus, however this is entirely dependent on the province giving money to the city.

Well, at least he didn't cry or wave a broom around.

10. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I just found $100 million too.

Just waiting for the city to cut me the cheque ;)

11. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Hey, if it means a smaller tax increase next year I'm all for it. And I wouldn't mind if he ran again, given what the alternatives are: a Smitherman/Miller showdown could have made for some interesting discussion.

12. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Seems underhanded to me.

How much of the surplus was from not having to remove snow this year? Why is he planning a budget for next year when he won't be in office?

Typical NDP opportunist. Should have sat next to Layton at the bar during the gold medal game.

13. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

I can hear Fletcher screaming at the top of her lungs, all the way from Calgary.

14. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

thank y ou for changing the subject title of this thread.

15. alexd

will make it easier for search engines. got to think of the bots sometimes

16. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

bingo! so much promise from this character, and what really has he done?

17. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

ok what has he done to make it better.

TTC, Waterfront, Strike or Tax increases?

the strike combined with a warm winter created that savings and miller was not responsible for either.

18. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I feel the same way - he has been a letdown. Maybe if he hadn't talked such a big game...

19. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

Funny you mention that since he was sitting right beside me at a bar near high park during the game with his son. Disapointing to see him on his crackberry the whole time, on twitter, writting to his thousands of followers. :rolleyes:

I managed to rustle up some liquid courage and get a photo with him! ch33se

20. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

^^ cool, no way!! :D

and the whole business of a 'letdown': so a public person puts out a media advisory. standard practice. THEN (a) the media builds it up, AND THEN (b) the media reports on it being a let down.

They created the let-down. and basically compaining about their own failure to make a story

21. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

hey, I just lost $100 million!

22. octo

octo TRIBE Member

contrary to popular belief, the mayor doesn't have much power to effect change. he has one vote, just like other councillors.

the problem isn't just the mayor. it's the whole of city council.

Rob Ford is running for mayor :rolleyes:

23. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

I hope he wants to apoligize for those shitty new garbage cans.

24. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

This what happens when you bet on the Leafs.

25. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

and you didn't smash a beer bottle over his head for all the wonderful work he has done for this city?