1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

maternity clothing?

Discussion in 'Girl Stuff Forum' started by hahnsa, Jun 11, 2010.

1. hahnsa

hahnsa TRIBE Member

My best friend is pregnant. She lives in a small town in Alberta and will be visiting me in Toronto in August (at which point she'll be five months pregnant) and has asked me to take her shopping. While I am an expert shopper, not so much in the maternity department. Do any of you gals have any suggestions as to where are some hip maternity clothing stores in the downtown core? Looking to transform my girl into a yummy mummy.

Thanks!

2. r6bikerchick

r6bikerchick TRIBE Member

Can she afford tailoring? With an expert seamstress, I'm sure there are lots of non-maternity options that could be modified and she'd end up with generally hipper, custom clothes.

(Short answer: no - I know nothing about shopping for maternity clothes in DTTO).

3. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I think H&M have Maternity clothes now.

4. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

There are some pretty cool shops downtown that maybe some of the other mum's can point you to, but they were beyond my budget so I went to the Thyme's and Motherhood available at most malls.

Some retailers are also offering Maternity, Old Navy, Gap, H&M off the top of my head.

5. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

I'm pretty much like Leo only I bought most of my stuff at Old Navy. There is some nice stuff out there, but I couldn't justify it for such a short time period on my budget. I also spent my pregnancies either in a field job or unemployed - so fashion wasn't an issue LOL.

My sister just started working part-time for a great maternity place in Yorkville (which isn't that expensive, despite the location)- She's got a few great pieces from there already. I'll find out the name for you.

6. peko

peko TRIBE Member

the gap doesn't do maternity any more - unless you go to their outlet in Vaughan Mills.

there's a couple of nice stores on Eglington West near Avenue and some farther east, but i stuck with cheap and cheerful stuff because it's such a short period of time.

unless, your friend has to dress up for work, then she might want to invest in some more expensive gear. although, you can size up in some types of clothing (as suggested earlier by someone else).

metal morphis and some other peeps might know some more stores (check in the mom thread).

good luck!

7. peko

peko TRIBE Member

post the store here! i'm curious about this yorkville store.

8. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

i got skinny jeans and leggings at H & M mama, but overall the selection was pretty slim.

there are some good suggestions in the mom thread...from the top of my head, I remember Evymama and My Bump. Both apparently have nice stuff but its expensive.

so far, i've lucked out by wearing summer dresses that are just maternity friendly. will have to pick up a few pairs of dress pants in the fall though.

:)sarah

9. jocelyn dee

jocelyn dee TRIBE Promoter

I got a bunch of clothes at the Thyme outlet at Dixie Outlet Mall.

I figured I would be wearing them for such a short time, I best get a deal on them.

I found the Thyme clothes fit me better then the Motherhood clothes, and I liked the fabrics better (especially for things like dress pants).

10. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

Rhonda's Maternity home

11. Metal Morphosis

Metal Morphosis TRIBE Member

My suggestions:

1. Bumbleberry Kids - on Queen East, north side, just east of Woodbine. The front of the shop is gently used kids stuff (she hand selects everything so there's lots of great stuff) and in the back she has a maternity section of stuff she sells on consignment. You'll likely have to ask her to point you in the right direction as it's not advertised. When I was last there she had a DVF dress for sale!

2. Second Peek Maternity Boutique - second hand online shop with some choice items. It's in the west end so you can do local pick up or pay $9 for shipping.

3. Already mentioned - My Bump - 944 Kingston Road, just west of Vic Park Ave. She has a lot of the 'expensive' stuff (similar to what you'd find at EvyMama), but you can find deals as well. I bought a gorgeous $100 sweater for under $40 (taxes incl.) And I bought my Ripe Maternity swim suit there a few summers ago for about $70 - no more than you'd pay for a regular swim suit.

12. hahnsa

hahnsa TRIBE Member

Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions. My friend is a doctor, so she'll definitely be needing some dressed up outfits as well.

13. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

where is a good place for maternity jeans or would you recommend just to get a bigger size??

14. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

for shirts i found i could get away with just going a size or two up in some styles (longer ones)
    pants not so much. because only your stomach gets bigger, your legs are staying the same size - if you go a size or two up in pants the fit gets all wrong on the rest of you. Maternity pants are designed to fit the rest of you as the size you are with the expandable stomach.

15. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

your sister is pregnant? did i know that?:eek:

16. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

I don't know LOL. We haven't told many people yet, although now I guess I'm telling the internet. Hope she doesn't mind :eek:

17. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

How about this idea ladies:

A few times a year hold a big Maternity Clothes Swap. Women who have just had kids bring their maternity clothes to swap with women who just got pregnant's regular clothes or money.

The idea being that you would swap some regular clothes for maternity knowing you will be able to do the reverse after you have your kid(s).

Thoughts?