• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Mastering

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
thanks i'm giong to read this again.
as for har-bal - craig anderton swears by that plugin. and it's around $120 which is very reasonable for any mastering app. i haven't tried it myself but want to get into it.

anyways these sorts of pdfs are great because a lot of us don't have a great room for attempting any mastering, so if you can learn how to use the visual indicators on the plugins then you're at an advantage

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
I'm taking a mastering course early next month. Very excited, although, Ive definitly learned to get the db's up in my mixes. I think I'm going to be filming the 4 hours of my master class and breaking it down for youtube. Stay tuned to my blog for further info.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
I'm taking a mastering course early next month. Very excited, although, Ive definitly learned to get the db's up in my mixes. I think I'm going to be filming the 4 hours of my master class and breaking it down for youtube. Stay tuned to my blog for further info.
where's the course? i'm interested.

my main mastering tool at the moment is Voxengo Elephant. you can squash your mix and it doesn't distort. i'm still trying to find my ideal multiband compressor and EQs though. I use the T-Racks EQ now.

And now there's going to be new versions of T-Racks and Ozone this year to make things more interesting.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
OK so posted some more begging mastering stuff on my blog. Taking a trip to Laquer Channel pretty soon, so I hope to have some vid of the sessions there. So people can see how the bigboys do it.

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
Do you mind if I ask how much that class is? That sounds very interesting to me. Another great resources for mastering, by far the most through I have ever seen is the Steinberg Mastering DVD set. It is 5 DVDs of videos with audio examples and pdf reference materials. It is fantastic. It took me days to go through it and actually understand all of it. He gets deep into proper red book mastering and all the stuff that no one wants do deal with. A great watch. He is using Wavelab to do it.

why not

TRIBE Member
Laquer Channel
this is who a few of my friends use, and they seem happy with the work.

they took a remix i did for them there the other day, and i'm excited to hear how it turned out after mastering.

maybe i'll post before-and-after clips somewhere.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
yeah if i go anywhere in this city it will probably be Laquer. i looked into a bunch of facilities and it seemed like the best one for me. jose calvaros or whatever it's called looks fancy but they didnt answer my email.

ONDRAY

TRIBE Promoter
Noah and Phil D at Lacquer channel have been doing mastering full time for years. I'm even surprised Harris is offering a mastering course. I mean it's not really something you learn in detail like recording and mixing, it's more something you learn over time with experience. Mastering tools are the same tools you use for any production, compressor, EQ, Limiter, etc.. the difference is they're super high end, lower ratios and if hardware they're usually transformerless.

You can have the best gear and plugins for mastering but if your room isn't well tuned, your monitors & converters aren't crystal clear, then it'll be hard to turn out good masters that can be heard everywhere and compare with the pros.

If you're getting into mastering I highly recommend picking up Bob Katz book "Mastering: the art and science" I've read it twice at least. once done reading, fix your room tune, then monitors, converters and then get into the gear and plugs.

But in the meantime check out plugs from Sonnox, Flux alchemist, Powercore MD3 (my fav.)...

and after all that check me out... www.minus3audio.com (sorry I had to plug :))

ONDRAY

TRIBE Promoter
yeah if i go anywhere in this city it will probably be Laquer. i looked into a bunch of facilities and it seemed like the best one for me. jose calvaros or whatever it's called looks fancy but they didnt answer my email.
Joah Carvalho is booked solid, that's probably why. Try getting a hold of Tim (i think) who works out of there: http://www.joaocarvalhomastering.com/

Others that are top in the city are Adam at http://www.silverbirchprod.com/.

I've personally used Wim in the Netherlands a http://www.inlinemastering.com/

For awesome mastering there's Tony at http://www.jackthebear.com.au/ . This dude knows his dance pumping mastering skills.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
and after all that check me out... www.minus3audio.com (sorry I had to plug :))
by all means, plug away.

looks good, i'll keep your contact around.

and a good other set of links there too.

now this looks like a good mastering experience:

but what else goes on at this studio? :p

oh and i was surprised to see you say that anyone is booked solid these days. when i was in vancouver i met sarah mcglaughlin's engineer, and at the time he said business was so low he now offers special rates for indies.

Last edited:

why not

TRIBE Member
oh and i was surprised to see you say that anyone is booked solid these days. when i was in vancouver i met sarah mcglaughlin's engineer, and at the time he said business was so low he now offers special rates for indies.
i'm thinking that while recording studios are hurting due to the home-recording boom, mastering studios are probably still busy because all these home-recording producers still need someone to fix up their shit.
it's such a specialized black art that those who are good at it (or at least have a good track record) should remain busy.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
i'm thinking that while recording studios are hurting due to the home-recording boom, mastering studios are probably still busy because all these home-recording producers still need someone to fix up their shit.
it's such a specialized black art that those who are good at it (or at least have a good track record) should remain busy.
agreed. a while back laquer channel was running a promo where you could get a special rate as long as it's unattended and they pick the engineer. i thought that sounded like a good way to satisfy both parties - they can cut to the chase on your master and save you some dough. not sure if they're still doing that.

on the whole though, even with home studio boom, there's not much money around to use studios if no one's buying the tracks. i guess that deserves it's own thread though ;)

ohhh vergel? where are you? the long tail awaits!

ONDRAY

TRIBE Promoter
Bang on, actually Mastering is booming more from what I've seen in the past 5 years. Lot's of shitty mixes get done, trusst :rolleyes: Plus there's not as many PROPER mastering studios as there are recording studios. Nor is there as many semi-pro specialized mastering guys as there are semi-pro home recording dudes. Just think, every song that's recorded SHOULD be mastered.

My favorite's when the kick is clipping and they're asking to fix it in the mastering.. I just pull out my magic wand and.... baconpan

why not

TRIBE Member
on a semi-related note, i'm predicting that there will soon be a minor boom for good mixdown engineers with decent studios.

recording everything at home, then taking it to someone who knows what they're doing and who have the right gear can save home recordings from sounding cheap even more than a good mastering engineer can.
fixing it in the mix is easier than fixing it at mastering.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
on a semi-related note, i'm predicting that there will soon be a minor boom for good mixdown engineers with decent studios.

recording everything at home, then taking it to someone who knows what they're doing and who have the right gear can save home recordings from sounding cheap even more than a good mastering engineer can.
fixing it in the mix is easier than fixing it at mastering.
yeah seriously. last time i looked into using a mix engineer, who was just a friend, even then the rates were beyond what i could handle. but also if you're working on EDM i think there's a responsibility of the producer to be a good mixer. especially when you talk about minimal styles which rely heavily on mixing and fx.

steve angello is the type of guy who says that when he works on a track it's him from start to finish. of course not everyone is as lucky to have those sets of ears.

why not

TRIBE Member
yeah seriously. last time i looked into using a mix engineer, who was just a friend, even then the rates were beyond what i could handle. but also if you're working on EDM i think there's a responsibility of the producer to be a good mixer. especially when you talk about minimal styles which rely heavily on mixing and fx.

steve angello is the type of guy who says that when he works on a track it's him from start to finish. of course not everyone is as lucky to have those sets of ears.
mixdown is more than just good ears and vision though - having access to better quality monitors and a good room is worth the money in itself, as is access to a good mixing board and some outboard compressors/EQs/ect.

Renting the room and an engineer, but overseeing the process as a producer gives you the best of both, IMO.

africa

TRIBE Member
http://www.audibleoddities.com/

I've used Shawn at audibleoddities for a couple of projects, he's great and pretty affordable. I just got some tracks back from Precise in London, which is big expensive mastering studio (chemical bros, benga, carl craig) and personally I think shawn is much better. for what its worth...

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
who's making good compressor/maximizer vst plugins nowadays? All i really have access to is the Mastering suite in Reason and I suspect that it is garbage.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
who's making good compressor/maximizer vst plugins nowadays? All i really have access to is the Mastering suite in Reason and I suspect that it is garbage.
i wrote above that i personally like the voxengo stuff, but i think it's PC only. well they keep the prices down by not spending a lot on insane GUIs.

the reason mastering tools aren't bad for the purposes of helping reason's weak engine out. but that weak engine is why the program is so stable and low CPU.

this is great thread all around - a collection of good links and more!

i tagged it at the bottom

ONDRAY

TRIBE Promoter
http://www.audibleoddities.com/

I've used Shawn at audibleoddities for a couple of projects, he's great and pretty affordable. I just got some tracks back from Precise in London, which is big expensive mastering studio (chemical bros, benga, carl craig) and personally I think shawn is much better. for what its worth...
I've used Shawn 'twerk' for a few projects too. He's great and affortable no doubt. One project I actually sent it to both Shawn and Wim and ended up going with Wim at inlinemastering.com hit it more. You know when you start A/Bing different ME (Mastering Engineers) 's at a certain level it can be hit and miss.

Last edited:

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
bumping this thread - instead of starting a new one.

MASTERING - So a few places in Toronto (and abroad) have been recommended here. But I'm still going to ask some silly questions:

1. Are these places going to treat you like garbage and take your money because you're not communicating in their engineering lingo?

2. When the prices are based per hour, are you likely to get ripped off when they keep roping you in with another hour here and there?

3. What's the average turnaround for a track 6-12 minutes in length at a professional mastering studio?