• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

mastering houses...

REMI XO

TRIBE Member
anybody know of any places that I can get my mix polished?

I have a couple of tracks that I need work on.

I did a quick search on google with minimal results. Some some would be great.

Thanks

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Goody

TRIBE Member
you could try:

http://www.audiosourcemastering.com/

(I've heard good things about this guy)

Also check out:

EMasters, Super Audio Mastering, Loud Mastering, these are all online mastering houses the last three are located in the UK, the first Audio Source is US. You could also check out Laquer Channel (not sure on the spelling) they are here in Toronto. I've heard good things about them as well.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Can someone explain what types of things they will do to your track during this process?

What is the major advantage to having it mastered?

Will they master it differently for vinyl then for cd?

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
haha... hopefully feedback.

but just as a general rule. A mastering session will maximize your track to bring out as much of the track as possible without colouring* the sound of the sound. Also they'll EQ/Compress/Expand the track to best suit the medium it's intended for.... its a minor thing... but critical for a maintaining the artistic sound of the music no matter the medium.

CD's have a different audio dynamic then vinyl.

With vinyl one key issue is usually phasing. If you plan to cut to vinyl you REALLY need to keep everything in phase or else you run the risk of overloading the cutting head while making your master disk. Also other issues such as panning and sudden noises could also cause issues. Skips, are a main result, also loudness in audio level may be a factor.

As for mastering to CD, I dont know off hand the issues with it.. but they do have to be EQ'ed specifically to work with the limitations of that medium as well.

colouring - creating a sound in the final product not intended artistically

Last edited:

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
-- without colouring* the sound of the audio

and where ever i say music i mean audio... since all music is audio but not all audio is music. ;)

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Thanks for the response Vergel.
Sounds like if you're only planing on using CDs, you could probably get away with using some of the home mastering tools, at least until you get signed.
:)

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
I don't know the details on what you'd need to do to make your music perfect for CD playback, but my suggestion for anyone who wants to home master their music......

Get the Waves L3 Plugin

on a decent set of speakers you'll easily be able to put something together that'll sound pretty polished. I'm not saying it'll be perfect, but it will help you make your stuff sound decent enough.

Read more here: http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=1529

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Thanks bud.
I thought you were moving towards software, but from some of your posts it sounds like you will die a gearhead like me.

:D

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
nah.. i wont be a software guy anytime soon... i much rather pull up a piece of gear and noodle with it then use software.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders