• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mastering for live pa's

xopus

TRIBE Member
Anyone have any advise on mastering a live pa? I use ableton live, so i could use effects on the master channel, or i could potentially go the hardware route if that is going to be a better choice. I'm looking to be able to get the best sound possible regardless of the sound system i'm playing on.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Deus

TRIBE Member
Are you talking about mastering an already recorded live performance? Or are you wondering about a live performance your are going to be doing in Ableton Live and wondering how to set up the master track?

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
I don't think "mastering" is really the term you're looking for.

I you're wondering what effects to put on the master bus, maybe some limiting and a compressor, but you might just be better off running you mains through a preamp or something and keep a good gain structure.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
depending on the venue, they may have a comp/limiter on their system anyway. (it would be smart so they don't wreck their own gear/speakers when you're slaying the dancefloor ;) )

but its good to have your own rack of effects - consider a good stereo (graphic) EQ if you're going the hardware route for a live setup

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories