• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Mastering a dj mix

d.code

TRIBE Member
So me and my fiance decieded on a whim last night to make a mix and we banged a nice tight one out. The only problem being that some of the levels are off and messed up from tune to tune near the beggining because the needles are old and have gone through a rough time over the past few years. We recorded it using audacity.

I need to do a few eq edits to get things sounding a bit more even before I go ahead and mp3ize the mix. Im guessing I can do it audacity- but does anyone have any recomendations?

I used to do this sort of stuff ages ago but im a bit out of the loop. I figure its possible to do it in audacity but im wondering if there is something better for dealing with those momthly huge wave files that 2 hour mixes tend to make.

thanks in advance
thanks in your pants

d.code

TRIBE Member

Im giving it a shot right now with audacity and im wishing there was a bit more controll on the envelopes of the mastering effects, eq and compression.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Matt Carl

TRIBE Member
don't use a limiter or compressor?

iii dunno, i find if i throw an L3 on the ting it evens things out pretty nicely...just don't pour it on too thick

d.code

TRIBE Member
Well I checked out samplitude- its an intresting little program. I doubled up the .wav and edited some of the volumes where things get quiet and then compressed the whole thing just a little bit and found pretty much what Im looking for.

I wont steal samplitude because when I installed it there was a big thing at the end going on about not stealing it and most of those germans are poor.

thanks for the info tho folks.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
and if you do add compression, dont overdo it.....remember recorded music is already mastered/compressed etc....

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
TheLiquidFairy said:
Sequoia v8 is fantastic.

MG
Only thing that is not as good as nuendo though is the way you can move tracks around and rename them. It is way easier in Nuendo and the midi is better in nuendo.

I did some mixes in nuendo and then mixed the parts down in sequoia and same with protools HD and each time it sounded better out of sequoia. So not all digital is the same even in software.

TheLiquidFairy

TRIBE Member
As far as an editing suite/mixing, I'd chose Ptls or Nuendo over Samplitude and then do the final mix down through Samplitude as well. Although the block samples when zoomed in all the way is damn nifty.

MG

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
TheLiquidFairy said:
As far as an editing suite/mixing, I'd chose Ptls or Nuendo over Samplitude and then do the final mix down through Samplitude as well. Although the block samples when zoomed in all the way is damn nifty.

MG

Ya for mastering and mixdowns or just live capture off the gear seq rules. I find it sound way better than protools HD. Just has a smoother sound. The phase controls over freq range is great when you are bringing in a stereo bass synth but need the lower range to mono but not loose the stereo seperations. Thats so important on vinyl or tape. I have also been told that the lynx cards are a nice economical option for the program though I wonder if they are better than the RME.