1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

massive attack

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by eddie, May 10, 2010.

1. eddie

eddie TRIBE Member

I'm shocked there are no reviews on the show. All I can say is that the show was sick.
  2. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

more detail please
  3. eddie

eddie TRIBE Member

The light show was fantastic the sound was just amazing. They killed it with all thier big tracks. The female vocals were just amazing. Overall it was see watching a chemical brothers show but better.
  4. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

I went to the Friday show, posted my review in the rollcall thread:

Martina Topley-Bird opened, I think maybe once act prior to her, but we got there relatively late (10:00), by that point the place was already majorly fucking packed to shit.

the band was apparently scheduled to go on at 10:15 but they hit the stage at like 10:50

Setlist (order is completely messed up)

United Snakes
    Babel (Martina on vocals)
    Psyche (Martina on vocals)
    Girl I Love You (Horace Andy on vocals)
    Future Proof (extended)
    Invade Me (new song)
    Safe From Harm (extended - Deborah Miller on vocals)
    Angel (Horace on vocals)
    Splitting the Atom (3D, Grant and Horace on vocals)
    Teardrop (Martina on vocals)
    Inertia Creeps

Unfinished Sympathy (Deborah Miller on vocals)
    Atlas Air (extended, crazy amazing logo visuals)

Overall: The show definitely had it's moments and some of it was fucking fantastic but overall, it was held back by three things.

1. Sound Academy is such a fucking shit venue. For raves/DJ's/club things it's alright, but the sightlines in there are just shit, it really feels like the entire thing was not built and designed for live music, not to mention the stage is too low, I'm 5'11 and I was not surrounded by particularly tall people people and I was having trouble seeing the band, and we got relatively close, I don't want to imagine how shit the view was for people towards the back of the narrow-hallway known as the Sound Academy. In a venue of similar size, the Kool Haus even would have made this kind of show was more enjoyable, it's actually setup as a live music venue and the stage is high enough that good sightlines is easy.

2. The "Heligoland" material is pretty good on record, at home. I along with many Massive Attack fans had huge expectations given the 7 year delay in between albums and this also being the first one with Grant since Mezzanine, and while there is lots to like about Heligoland on the record, live most the songs fall completely fucking flat. I don't feel that Martina is not a particularly strong or compelling vocalist, and I'm not a huge fan of her tunes on Heligoland, her renditions of Teardrop was not great at all, especially after having had Liz Frasier sing it when I last saw Massive Attack here in 2006. The Heligoland material, with the possible except of the super asskicking last half of Atlas Air kind of sucked the energy out of the show. Also the two other non-album tracks: United Snakes and Invade Me were pretty shit. Whereas on the last tour they had very strong versions of Hymn of the Big Wheel, Man Next Door and Group Four in the set Would have loooved one of those, especially Group Four (which was the best song I heard at the 2006 show).

Highlights: Everything off Mezzanine sounded incredible, save for Teardrop. Angel was intense as always and the guitar on it sounded super searing and incredible, Horace was fantastic on all his tracks. Inertia Creeps was great, Mezzanine was fantastic, I also really liked Future Proof (arguably the strongest track from 100th Window), the visuals and the way Atlas Air built up was really great. Ultimately the band sounds fucking fantastic. 3D might not have created the most interesting album recently or picked the strongest female vocalist, but he did assemble a great band and the guitarist and drummer were bloody great last night and all the songs that were built up and extended like Angel, Safe From Harm, Atlas Air, were exciting as hell.

Anyways, show was good, I'd gladly see Massive Attack again, but in a venue that is far more suited to their sound. People are not usually dancing to their music, so why this was not in the Hummingbird Centre, Massey Hall or any other fine venue that would have done the music and experience better justice. Sound Academy is fucking balls.

5. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

It was a blast! So good to finally see them.

Night started out a bit messed up. My brother and I waited in line for 10 minutes at the Guv arguing with the bouncers as they were letting guest-list people go by us even though we had tix. Finally one of the head bouncers came over and quickly told us we were at the wrong spot!

hahahahaha, totally had a brain fart and forgot the show was at the Docks. We boogied over in a cab and managed to slide in just before they came on.

Fantastic set, great light show and just a fun event all-around. Got pretty sloppy and acted like a bit of an ass, but I was excited to finally see them and got caught up in the buzz. But my apologies to anyone I annoyed! :)
  6. krosum

krosum TRIBE Member

we thought it was fucking awesome.
  7. billy

billy TRIBE Member

that is pretty funny. we've had the same situation a few times. "sorry bud, but you want to be over there" pointing at the kool haus from across the lake.

both shows were kick ass. it was a bit odd as we had a show in between the 2 MA shows. they packed all the stage gear in the back end of the room for the middle night. after watching the awesomeness of the first night, it was weird looking at all this technology packed away side by side but felt good knowing it would be released again for one more show.

martina was really nice to chat with. her daughter flew in for the first night and she was worried about traffic and such after soundcheck. by the second night her daughter had to fly back to england but she admitted that "such is life" being on the road.