1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Masonry mavens -a place to get quick cut sawing done?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by WestsideWax, Jul 16, 2010.

1. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Obtuse title aside, any of you concrete-lovin' folk know of a place in the downtown core where I can get a couple of pieces of patio stone cut to fit, without having to spend $60 on a day's equipment rental? We're trying to weigh down our outdoor DJ booth - evidently two 60lb bags of sand in the bottom compartments isn't enough to counter our sproingy wood deck.
  2. Liability

Liability TRIBE Member

Typically going into a home depto and explaining the situation, with a I'm broke sympathetic smile, will get you the job done. They have let me cut pieces in shop.
  3. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

I believe hope depot will give you 5 free cuts and its like 50cents or a dollar for every extra cut on top of that.

I will call in advanced just in case. Also try places like home hardware or any place that sells stone should have a cutter on site.

I did a quick google search. Maybe call one of these places

4. WestsideWax

Unfortunately, the free cuts only apply to wood, not rock. Liability, which Home Depot did you go to? Checked with the Stockyards location, but no go.
  5. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

if it is just the tables bouncing cut some tennis balls in half, or use pillows
  6. WestsideWax

I've used full tennis balls on concrete before, but not half. How is it for stability? Tried the elastic band/ashtray combo, and while it works well in preventing skipping, the needle jumps like a biatch on rewinds.
  7. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

pretty much every rave i went to used the half tennis ball method, seemed to work :)

or use couch cushions, that will work too

if it is YOUR deck, you could climb under it and reinforce the section with a few headers where you want to put your booth