1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Mascara - THE THREAD

Discussion in 'Girl Stuff Forum' started by JESuX, Jun 13, 2006.

1. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

what better time than now to discuss the merits of my one and only real necessity: mascara!

i think i've tried just about every brand/type on the market. i have really unbelievably light lashes, and without makeup, i look like i literally don't *have* any. as soon as it goes on, KA-POW!

i will once again sing the praises of my favourite - l'oreal voluminous - straight brush, in blackest black.

i've heard good things about lancome hypnose, though... anyone?

2. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

i've got a tester of prescriptives volumizing mascara - i really like the brush applicator...plus it makes my eyelashes curl

3. squirrely

squirrely TRIBE Member

i would love to have my eyelashes tinted. the ends are white blonde, and i SUCK at putting on mascara.

anyone done this?

perma-black lashes would be so lovely!

4. lucinda

lucinda TRIBE Member

lancome hypnose = amazing

5. the gatekeeper

the gatekeeper TRIBE Member

As an aside to this, I've got this dress-up party thing I'm going to on Saturday and was thinking of maybe getting false eyelashes. Any tips, brand recommendations, things to be cautious of?

6. m0ff

m0ff TRIBE Member

It's a great mascara, very light weight, and the brush gets closer to the base of the lash. However, I find that it starts to clump really quickly, like after two weeks...which really tends to piss me off because it costs a small fortune.

7. lucinda

lucinda TRIBE Member

go to cosmetic world on yonge. They have a good selection of fake lashes

8. lucinda

lucinda TRIBE Member

I just have the trial...g with p size and no clumps. Love it

9. the gatekeeper

Is that around yonge & wellesley? The name sounds familiar, I just can't place exactly where it is.

10. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

actually gatekeeper...there are some great ones at shoppers....run you under 10....some kits come with glue, lashes and applicator. considering mac sells the lashes seperately from the glue...for this once off, try the lower priced shoppers brand. that way you can see if you dig the look for you.

they had some funky ones around Chrismas...i found some that had a subtle tinsel tip to them. and others that look like they were feather tipped.

: )

11. the gatekeeper

Thanks chooch! :) Shoppers is easier for me than making a special trip over to Yonge.

ps-completely unrelated but the roomie & I have been enjoying the chair! I haven't done anything to it yet, but since it got nice out it's become the "reading on the balcony chair". I've been meaning to e-mail and let you know. Thanks again! :)

12. grumblegirl

grumblegirl TRIBE Member

seriously - how do you people remember the brand that you use??

i put it on in the morning, and i can remember that it's in a bluey-silvery container. oh, and it cost under $10, for sure.

13. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

^^to gatekeeper!

Ha! That is great news..i have a matching ottaman for that one...i may be moving soon...so we should talk if you want to "obtain" that part of the set! :)

edit: as for mascara...whatever is dark black and on sale.

if i'm splurging...dior's got a snazzy one for 35$

14. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

i used to have this kit to do it myself at home! then i'd use clear gloss on top... i'm not sure if shoppers carries it any more though... but it wasn't so great. good if you really really hate putting on mascara.

15. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

I use Clinique "Naturally Glossy", and have been for the past 5 years or so. It's the only mascara I've found that doesn't get all flaky by the end of the day, and doesn't make your lashes feel stiff and crunchy. If you're looking for crazy volume & length, I would pick something else though. This one is more for darkening and subtle lengthening. My lashes are fairly long though, so I don't want one of the more dramatic mascaras or my lashes touch my sunglasses!

16. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

i had to wear some for a photo shoot a couple months back... good christ were they a bitch to get off! i had little painful bits of glue stuck to my lashes for two days - soap, water, and makeup remover were all hopeless.

i even asked the make up artist: "so, are there any tricks to getting these little suckers off?"

her: "yep. you pull."

owie.

:(

17. the gatekeeper

Sounds good-let me know if/when you decide to part with it. :)

18. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

i'm still tempted to try it. but, nothing PISSES me off more when i find i've fallen victim to a clever marketing ploy.

the last few brands i've tried have made my lashes look like spokes on the wheels of a bike, despite their claims of making me look like a respectable drag queen.

i think i'll make hypnose my next shot. but you guys will *so* hear about it if it sucks :p

19. the gatekeeper

Yikes! Now I'm a little scared.

20. ravinjunkie

ravinjunkie TRIBE Member

I just need something that doesn't smudge.
    I hate make up.
    grr.

21. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

L'Oreal Voluminous is an old favourite of mine. The only problem I have with it is that it tends to clump on your lashes with each additional application.

However, I recently tried Rimmel's Volum Flash mascara (on the recommendation of the cosmetics cop, of course) and I'm pretty happy with the results. Two applications gives me thicker, lengthened lashes without clumps.

22. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

don't be...you can always do a dry run @ home...but the kits i'm talking about may be a bit different then photoshoot grade glue! LOL! ;)

23. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

jess - i took your mascara advice with the l'oreal voluminous and i dig it.

24. kate

kate TRIBE Member

One masacara never to try is the new Maybelline crap with the comb-that shit took a WEEK to come off!!

For when i want really dramatic lashes, I use the 2-in-1 white stuff first from Loreal-with the bronze/black wierd shaped container. It takes a bit longer but is totally worth it-it looks like fake eyelashes.

For during the week, I use MAC Zoomlash or whatever its called. It actually smells like roses.

25. Michlerish

Michlerish Well-Known TRIBEr

Okay... if anyone's the queen of mascaras, it's me. I have long eyelashes, but they don't curl. So I'm almost ALWAYS wearing mascara or people ask me "are you tired?".

LANCOME: It's good... for two weeks. I've bought Flextencils about 3 times. It does what it's supposed to, but then it gets too dry and clumpy and not that good after about 2 weeks. I don't pump the wand either. I also don't like how you get mascara on your eyelids WAY too easily when applying the base of the lashes. And it's hard to get perfectly separated lashes. The only reason I would buy it again, is for the conveniece of buying a quality mascara (they have it at Shoppers). But for the price of this stuff, you might as well get the MUCH better quality:

ESTEE LAUDER Illuminous (or something like that, forget the name... the curling, volumizing, lengthening, separating one): amazing. my favourite mascara, hands down. i can't think of anything wrong with it... it curls, it separates, it thickens, makes them look SO long, easy to put on, lasts a long time and stays fresh, the wand is good, it takes less time to apply since it's so good.

RIMMEL Volumunise: er whatever they call it, the fat red one. It's good in a pinch. Cheap, lasts long, and does it's job well. If you apply just a TAD too much, it's clump city though. And it always gets on my eyelides cause the brush is made incorrectly and unevenly. I have to spin the brush just to separate my lashes properly.

L'Oreal Curl (and Volumize one): Their wands are very simple, not the best quality, but they're easy to use and get the job done. The mascara isn't the best quality. Gets crumby on lashes, harder to apply without making little black marks all over because the wand is so small/light. Very basic mascara.

Anything else generic, especially maybelline: make me gag