• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Martini consumers please look here...

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I got a new martini set for Christmas that I want to test out. I want to go booze shopping tomorow. But I need some ideas.

What's your favorite?

On a side note were is the best place to buy martinis in Toronto?

seeker

TRIBE Member
I've been a fan of Bombay Sapphire gin for as long as I've been drinking gin. But in December I got a bottle of Plymouth's. That's some tasty stuff. And it's from the oldest operating distillery in England, dating back to the 1700's, IIRC. Tanqueray is a good third.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
come on people..

no one here makes martinis?

I could use recipes from a book but I don't want to go buy all the booze and then have the recipe taste bad. I want some first hand recomendations.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
one of my favourites comprises of vodka, lychee liquer and grapefruit juice.
its good cuz the tartness of the grapefruit balances out the sweetness of the lychee liquer.

yummers.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Gin Martini:

Pour 1/2 ounce of vermouth into glass, swirl around so that vermouth lines glass, pour out excess.

Pour 2 1/2 ounces of gin (tanqueray, bombay saphire, plymouths) into your ice filled jig. Shake vigorously.

Pour gin into glass with strainer on. Garnish with olive or lemon twist (optional.)

Martini's are the dressy way to drink straight booze. The old saying goes: one martini is plenty, two is too much, three is not enough.

I can look into my old martini book and post up other recepies tomorrow.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I like a dirty martini (gin w/ 2 TB olive brine) and three olives.

If I'm entertaining a creamsicle martini is good - a mix of mandarin vodka, cointreau, and the African liquer whose name I can't remember (starts with an A) and orange juice. Possible side effects include the removal of panties.

HMHA

TRIBE Member
can someone please explain the reasoning behind the vermouth? i was told it originated during prohibition...

also - what exactly is the history of the martini?

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
my fav is a chocolate martini - yum - its good when you put a hershey kiss at the bottom of the glass or a stick of kit kat or something - yummm I would like one now :D

MBoy

TRIBE Member
Mr. Tall? Beaker? Someone please provide us with the recipe for the legendary hamtini and any appropriate supporting photographic documentation.

(my personal favourite is vodka/peach schnapps/cran)

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
The word "Martini" is used very liberally these days .... so basically you can just mix vodka with a limitless combination of fruit juices and flavoured liquers. Then you need a clever-sounding name, of course.

Vermouth is a fortified wine like port or sherry, with the addition of certain herbs & spices to give its distinct flavour. The slight bitter tone makes vermouth a good aperitif.

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
one of my favourites comprises of vodka, lychee liquer and grapefruit juice.
its good cuz the tartness of the grapefruit balances out the sweetness of the lychee liquer.

yummers.

yes! drop a lychee nut for consumption at the end and I'm in drinkee heaven :)

Did you try a Roaring Temple when you were in Cambodia Liz? John wrote me from there telling me he's going to try one -- comprised of Red Bull, Vodka, Viagara, juice.....sounds arousing ;)

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i didnt try that, but i DID have a fabulous drink in Siem Reap called a 'Templed Out' which consisted of tonic water, vodka, grenadine and possibly red bull.
it kicked my ass.

littlenutty

TRIBE Member
my fav is the caramel apple martini.... the best one's are served at Wilde Oscars.... my girlfriend and i tried to recreate it ourselves for new years....

YUM!!!!

1/2 oz vanilla vodka
1/2 oz apple twist vodka
1 oz butter ripple schnapps
dash apple juice

shake w/ ice and enjoy!! :p

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beaker
waaah?

can i get it at babylon?

You should be able to.. real cool too.. theme is 'Revolution' so it's got all sorts of cool quotes & photos.

I thought for sure there'd be a jizztini in here, but I clicked on it anyway.

I'm with HMHA on the dirty front.

Also, Liz's sounds nice - I'm partial to the soho lychee martini, but would only have a couple since they're much too sweet to down for an entire evening. Must try adding the grapefruit juice.

Can't drink chocolate martini's as I OD'd on them one year by drinking them every weekend solid for about two months. Can't stand the thought of them now. (why I drank them in the first place that often, I'll never know.)

Truly tho, number one is the dirty dirty gin kind, three large olives. I've been ordering those as a pre-cursor to each and every meal I've eaten out in the past long while. So effing good.

The name you're trying to think of Hog is Amarula Cream.

Lainey

TRIBE Member
i make a martini at my work called 'sexual healing', cheesy name i know but really good..

1.5 oz. mandarin vodka
1 oz. pear liqueur
1.5 oz. fresh mango juice

shaken, and served with garnish of orange slice

i'm also really fond of crispy crunch martinis, a variation of the shot:

1.5 oz. vanilla vodka
1 oz. frangelico
1 oz. creme de cacao (chocolate liqueur)

shaken with chocolate candy garnish

these drinks make the time at work go by so much faster :)

boost

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
I've been a fan of Bombay Sapphire gin for as long as I've been drinking gin. But in December I got a bottle of Plymouth's. That's some tasty stuff. And it's from the oldest operating distillery in England, dating back to the 1700's, IIRC. Tanqueray is a good third.

can i get that at the LCBO or did someone bring it back for you?

My fav right now is Tanq 'Ten'.

noodle

TRIBE Member
I like trying new concoctions but I always go back to the traditional.

I'm a big fan of the dirty...three LARGE olives are manditory. I like mine not too dry and I'm partial to vodka.

They are the perfect pre-dinner cocktail.

I was on a Manhattan kick (whisky and sweet vermouth with a cherry) a couple of months ago but got sick of them quick. They're another good pre-dinner option.

As far as the less traditionals go, I really like Crispy Crunches or anything that's a little tart.

In my experience Wilde Oscar's has been the best for Martini's. Reasonable prices ($5.00 on Mondays) and they make it exactly as you want it. Most importantly, they do not skimp on the booze what so ever. I find trendy martini lounges to be way too overpriced for what they serve. I guess you're just paying for the ambience.

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
We had Hamtinis last week, there's gonna be a photo thread about it soon. The process has been perfected.

Hamtini

6oz vodka or gin
2oz ham slurry
1 tbsp dijon mustard
bite sized ham pieces

Directions:

- Add the booze to a shaker with ice

- Prepare the slurry ! Render as much juice as you can in the microwave, from the fattiest part of the rump. Take what's left, and put it through a garlic press until good and hammy. Add the juice and the pressed ham to the the shaker

- Add mustard and shake

-Rim a martini glass with a piece of ham and leave in the glass for garnish. Pour the hamtini over the garnish and serve immediately.