• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Martinez Brothers

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
why?

i dunno. they're alright, but nothing to write home about.
which is not to say they're not awesome, just that they're not the best DJs i've ever heard.
but no, i didn't go to Circa to see them.

diablo

TRIBE Member
I like their tunes. I was supposed to go, but was getting over a pretty bad stomach flu.

Was bummed about it.

deevah

TRIBE Member
they played to the room - a lot of classics remixed as big room tech house. They pulled out Armand Van Helden ffs! The boys have a lot of energy and certainly know the history but this wasn't a set I would write down in the books, just wasn't my bag. Felt just too commercial for me but hey, they've got a whole career ahead of them and they need to make some $ for college...who knows..

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
it was a really weird night. i enjoyed their set at the mod club so i wanted to check them out again. but as i predicted it was a little weird being in a huge room with people who didnt care about who they were.

when i entered, the set was more big room tech house like deevah says with a bit of a minimal tone to it, and then later on like 1-2 they were putting on better tunes.

they played some of my favourites like mark knight's remix of man with the red face and something else i can't remember, but overall it was a meh set for me. i didn't expect too much from it anyways so i wasn't disappointed.

and i dont think it's their fault, it's the DJs job to play to the room as best as they can. but the main room in circa is not an easy one to play to if you don't have heavy electro to feed the testosterone.

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
They are party djs.

They obviously have a lot of respect for the history of music, and they are tight with some of the heavy hitters in the scene, but when I go to see them I know they are party djs.

I'm not going to hear the tightest mixing, or the best track selection or crazy promos, when I see these guys because I know if I want to see that, they are not at that point yet. But good for them with all the success they are having...

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
Big Boss said:
They are party djs.

They obviously have a lot of respect for the history of music, and they are tight with some of the heavy hitters in the scene, but when I go to see them I know they are party djs.

I'm not going to hear the tightest mixing, or the best track selection or crazy promos, when I see these guys because I know if I want to see that, they are not at that point yet. But good for them with all the success they are having...
if they were real party DJs they would've played some lowest-common-denominating electro in circa and called it a night. instead they actually tried to expand people's minds a bit with the tech-house stuff ( :eek: )

unless we don't really understand each other and you equate the tech-house as being a party dj. i personally associate party DJing with a whole other scene that's big right now.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
mrtunes said:
if they were real party DJs they would've played some lowest-common-denominating electro in circa and called it a night. instead they actually tried to expand people's minds a bit with the tech-house stuff ( :eek: )

unless we don't really understand each other and you equate the tech-house as being a party dj. i personally associate party DJing with a whole other scene that's big right now.
I think he's trying to imply that they aren't the journey type of DJ with smooth mixing and flowing sets but rather DJs that play big tunes (regardless of genre) mashed all together.

They aren't my style of DJ but I think they're great for house music. They could bring house music back into the minds of the new generation.

AshG

coleridge said:
I think he's trying to imply that they aren't the journey type of DJ with smooth mixing and flowing sets but rather DJs that play big tunes (regardless of genre) mashed all together.

They aren't my style of DJ but I think they're great for house music. They could bring house music back into the minds of the new generation.
yeah i'd agree with that. but you gotta know that a good reason their exposure is what it is, is because of their age. just one of those things that has nothing to do with their djing quality per se, tho they're not bad djs at all. every dj with any kind of rep has qualities that have nothing to do with the music but add something else to the party.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
ok i'll agree with that too if that's what he meant.

i myself find it hard to focus on the mixes and how well every track is picked out when i'm in a busy club. there's so much crowd activity when a DJ plays compared to when you go to see a band perform. at the end of the day i sort of just care if i'm hearing tracks that i like. i also like a few different styles so i'm all good with DJs like this who aren't pinned down to one sound.

when i think of party dj i think of someone who only plays club bangers with lots of sirens even at 11pm

diablo

TRIBE Member
tasc said:
big them up, good to see them on the cover of this months mixmag
The article is balls, though.

Par for the course for Mixmag, I suppose.

Would've bought it if the mix CD was them, though.

tasc

TRIBE Promoter
diablo said:
The article is balls, though.

Par for the course for Mixmag, I suppose.

Would've bought it if the mix CD was them, though.

yeah, their content usually sucks, which is why I just read it at Chapters

JAR

TRIBE Member
[YOUTUBE]p5GtaCHGlOo[/YOUTUBE]
props to them for getting paid and getting exposure, but holy shit does this ad reek of desperation. not to mention the younger of the two brothers looks so uncomfortable and nervous he looks borderline developmentally challenged.