1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Martinez brothers at Sunnyside

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, Aug 8, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Did not give me the hand on my heart dance fix I thought I was going to get.

Arrived there after an epic cab ride on Lakeshore (courtesy of the Jameson bridge demolition - now that was surreal) as Sno-Men were wrapping up, which was good because, as always, I find them completely uninspiring - not bad, just meh.

The set up was great, same as for Miguel Migs with lots of sound all around, so many spots to dance.
    Then Martinez brothers came on and played what I can only describe, overall, as something like tribal tech. Very bumping, hard, some song choices really bizarre (dtox can comment on that); and the crowd was going off.

The sparklers to celebrate Boogie Inc's 5 years in the biz were a nice touch - and congratulations to Pat for bringing in so much music over that period of time.

I kept waiting for things to warm up, to give me that YES grin, and they just didn't, so I had to wander away.

Then I got to the other place and it was just too weird - what I would call a "straight but sort of gangster" vibe. Tough at the door, not a welcoming feeling at all; this seemed to seep through and permeate everything (or maybe I was just uber sensitive to stuff like that at that point).

Couple that with an outrageous cover and no real bar and you wind up with something that just drove me right out of there to the relief of wandering home.

2. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

Had to make it out to Sunnyside at least once this summer.

Martinez Bros were exactly as I guessed they would be.
    Clubby and not dubby. Cheap, not deep.

Not really my fave style of house but I still had fun wandering around the venue and partying.

Felt sorry for anyone driving on the Lakeshore last night. Another reason why bikes are superior ;)

3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Most succinctly accurate description :)

4. molasses

molasses TRIBE Member

Agreed.

I spent most of the night sitting down just chilling. Lakeview was enjoyable post outing meal as usual.

5. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

I had a really great time at the party! I met so many new people and partied my ass off with old friends!

Lots of really pretty people in attendance, after being at beerfest all day it was nice to see some classier ladies gettin their bounce on.

6. The Peej

The Peej TRIBE Member

The action was hotter out on the boardwalk after they shut the party down at 3am!

There were sound problems throughout the Martinez Brother's entire set. It felt like they would have done a much better job if the sub didn't keep cutting in and out. Lots of power outages all down lakeshore as we inchwormed out way to the party. I think it sucks that they turned the lights on at 2, and kicked us all out by 2:45.

That's robbery for a 25 dollar cover imo!

The jam was still rocking when everyone cleared out onto the the boardwalk/beach and it was a shame for everyone to have to leave.

Otherwise, sick venue! The place looked amazing. For the short time I was allowed to stay.

Thunder, I couldn't believe how many of you fuckers were there out on that boardwalk! Epic pre-after party party.

;)

7. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    They always shut down at 3 at that location because of noise issues.

8. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

wow I know I had a good time but I don't remeber much at all, beerfest predrink blackout drunk.....

at some point I must have wiped out but I have no clue when.

dont even remember the boardwalk or if I was even there

9. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

Pretty much sums it up for me.

For us, TMB have not really delivered a great set here since they played at Revival a number of years ago...Circa, Cobra and SS now have all been boring...lots of looping of the same style of monotonous tribal tech with standard effects to create the big drops that end up going nowhere, your always waiting for them to follow it up with something great and it's always blah...people were going OFF so either we don't have a clue or most people think that's the shiznit.

I find the vibe at SS the last summer or two to be really different than what I remember...so many people rocked off their face, pushy, aggressive...just not the laid back, unpretentious vibe that you've always had there.

Either way, props to Pat for doing his best over these last 5 years to keep the flame going in this city and always bringing in the best talent he can...Sunnyside is still the best venue in this city come the summer months but I think I may be done with it, just doesn't do it for me anymore.

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

I agree with erika as well. I found myself dancing, albeit way off to the side so I could have some room to move, and even still, the music wasn't exactly motivating me to the point say...Kenny "dope" Gonzalez, or Miguel Migs were.
    Both those Sunnyside party's were off the chain!!
    Migs has so far, been the best party of the summer!

11. StarvinMarvin

if i talked to anyone here please fill me one what we talked about because I want to try and figure this night out piece by piece

12. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

TMB haven't been on the deep tip for a couple years now - the first glimpse TO got was @ Circa and they haven't stopped. Their DEMF set was very much the same, very NY tribal sounds only the tribal DJs play it better IMHO. If they want to keep getting booked at big venues and festivals, this is the type of stuff they've got to keep playing despite us snobs prefer the deep, down and underground.

The set at Revival was something special wasn't it?

Sounds like this was a great PARTY (befitting for Boogie's 5th), but not necessarily a good musical journey. Not a bad trade off given it's also hosted in one of Toronto's great outdoor venues.

Directed a friend from out west visiting to make it to this one - he was blown away with nothing but positivity to report back.

Congrats Pat - Happy 5th!

13. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

weren't you the guy that tried to grab the brunette and her gay friend to come into the porta-potty with you?

14. StarvinMarvin

I hope not...WTF?? and if so I hope I knew them and thankfully I didnt get beat up

wow I really hope I did not do this

15. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

well, they weren't exactly waifs so there was no way the 3 of you would've fit...unless things got really creative...

16. StarvinMarvin

i really dont remember any of this....wow

I wonder who it was that was getting dragged in and again I hope it wasn't me

17. patboogie

patboogie TRIBE Promoter

Thank you all so very much for coming to celebrate with me and for your support over the years. Besides posting photos, i personally banned myself from the review forum after learning my lesson the hard way a couple years ago but there is one thing that I will say... Music is like art and what one person loves, another may hate. I would like to say that I personally am TOTALLY inspired by The Sno-Men's DJ sets, and think that they are two of the most talented DJs I have ever come across in all my years as a promoter and event planner. I would like to think that means something since I have been booking the creme of the crop for over a decade. They played an amazing set on Saturday and the crowd reaction was a testament to that.

That is all, lol. Here's some photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. patboogie

patboogie TRIBE Promoter

19. erika

erika TRIBE Member

You're a smart man Pat Boogie, and you throw good parties :).

20. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

Party looks bonkers by the photos! Happy anniversary :)

21. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

I smiled looking at each and every pic of hte party on FB........this summer has been awesome so far........thanks boogie!