1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Martial arts + UFC

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by mondo, Aug 27, 2003.

1. mondo

mondo TRIBE Promoter

Let's say you get a Shaolin monk straight from the Fukken province and you get, oh I don't know, Tito Ortiz- who would win?

Do monks know how to get out of a submission hold?

Does Tito know how to avoid multiple strikes to pressure points?

Bored at 1:12am :)

2. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Would the match be held in the octagon or at some temple in Fukkien?

Home team advantage could make a large difference in confidence.

3. diego

diego TRIBE Member

BEEP! BEEP!

-- Mike Tyson, who recently filed for bankruptcy, was in attendance at the debut K-1 Kickboxing PPV in Las Vegas August 15, and not just as a spectator.

-- Tyson, who was last seen doing any form of wrestling angle in the WWF with 'Stone Cold' SteveAustin and Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 14, watched Bob Sapp defeat former UFC fighter Kimo and then got involved in the action.

After the match, Tyson hopped the rail and was held back from Sapp, challenging him to a boxing match. Sapp countered and challenged Tyson to a fight under Boxing, Mixed Martial Arts or K-1 Kickboxing rules.

-- The currently planned Tyson-Sapp fight is rumored to take place in January 2004, possibly in Japan. Bob Sapp is such a superstar in Japan that he is featured on numerous TV commercials and even has entire stores devoted to Bob Sapp merchandise.

- It is rumored that Mike Tyson has been offered a three fight - $10 Million dollar deal to fight in K-1.

The following is a recap of what happened during the K-1 PPV Friday Night from MMAWeekly.com:

Bob Sapp called out Mike Tyson....who was sitting ringside. Tyson entered the ring and there is an exchange of words and people rushed to get in the middle to seperate the two. Tyson said he will fight tonight. Tell Sapp to "Sign the contract Big Boy". Sapp responds by saying that he will fight boxing, K-1, or MMA. It all does appear to be coming off very staged, but the crowd is into it

4. mondo

mondo TRIBE Promoter

It would not be a fair fight for Tyson.

Sapp or any UFC, KI, Pride fighter would take out his legs put him on his back and put him in a submission hold.
    If it was Ken Shamrock, he'd probably give him the heavy fists first.
    If it was Tito, then probably elbows.
    If it was Salei or Lidell, then some kicks to the head.
    If it was ... you get the idea, then they finish him with an arm bar or an ankle lock to make Tyson say 'NO MAS' or 'where's my gat at?' :D

5. bucky

bucky TRIBE Member

does Ken Shamrock still fight in those things?

6. mondo

mondo TRIBE Promoter

Re: BEEP! BEEP!

I just watched 4 Sapp fights. He won 2 and lost 2. He is like a linebacker who swings wildly and runs at you. He is 200cms tall and weighs 170 kgs. He is not tough though. He can't take punishment and gets knocked down easily and loses his wind too often. But you do have to get past his first barrage. Good luck Tyson.

I wish we could have UFC, K1 and Pride here in Toronto. I'd be first row. It sure beats WWE.

7. Pk Ripper

Pk Ripper TRIBE Member

lol@Sapp beating tyson in boxing or k-1 rules!!!!!!!!!!! hes a huge guy that is tough as nails (watch his 2 fights against hoost), but his technique is very bad. Tyson would KO him in anytime he pleased. K-1 fights are only 3 rounds and sapp has no kicks.

in MMA tyson would get beat.

any shaolin monk would also get a beatdown by tito ortiz easily.

for the fight fans watch the upcoming tito ortiz vs. randy couture, and de la hoya vs. mosely!

8. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Problem with Sapp is that he's devoted so much of his time to media appearances that it takes away from his training. This is one of the biggest reasons for his latest losses.

IMO, a properly trained and focused Sapp can take out Tyson. :)

Pete

9. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

omg, that's the same reason rocky balboa lost to clubber lang in rocky 3. he lost the eye of the tiger. life imitates art yet again.

as for tyson versus sapp, i don't know the nuances of the different rules. if biting, choking and raping are allowed, then tyson should win.

10. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

"Boxer Mike Tyson signed a $4 million contract with K-1, giving them the rights for Tyson's commercial endorsements in Japan and his publicity appearances in Japan as they negotiate his forthcoming scheduled fight against Bob Sapp, according to an article in today's New York Times. The contract also included a six figure signing bonus.

Tyson comments on the prospect of a Sapp fight in the piece, saying, "It might be nice....But under Marquess of Queensberry (Boxing) rules. I don't really feel like getting kicked in the head, you know?'' "

To read the whole article, click here

Sapp would get destroyed in a K-1 or boxing match. Sapp has terrible cardio (he was totally gassed in the 1st round of his last match) and he can't take a solid punch from MMA guys (and Tyson hits much harder). His only chance would be in an MMA match where he could take Tyson to the ground and mount him.

11. RJ45

RJ45 TRIBE Member

That's terrible :p

12. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

re: original topic

There are chinese grappling arts too, i'd assume that shaolin's would be versed in them.

However, Tito Ortiz is a fuggin machine, and I don't like some skinny kung-fu champ's chances against him.

13. mondo

mondo TRIBE Promoter

I was watching 2 documentaries on Shaolin training methods. They have 72 of them. Some of them are nuts. They can take a lot of punishment, have a lot of endurance and can hit you with different kinds of strikes. I know Tito Ortiz is a brute but is kung fu that inferior?:confused:

14. Klubmasta Will

[​IMG]

"stay back, grasshopper. i will handle this."

15. mondo

mondo TRIBE Promoter

-of all the people to replace Bruce Lee, they get a GWILO/ round eye! Carradine's eyes are rounder than the other white guy!?!
    -man that is messed up. we could have had more footage of the man and the myth. :(

16. Klubmasta Will

do you think bruce lee (with nun-chuks) could beat up a grizzly bear?

that would be awesome!

[​IMG]

17. G-FrEsH

G-FrEsH TRIBE Promoter

i watched this show on tnn yesterday i forgot it was on...

and for the UFC...
    you can know everything you need to know.. but if you dunno submissions then you loose...
    most of the wins are by submissions that i see.

DAvo

18. SPACEMAN

SPACEMAN TRIBE Member

monks who've trained their whole lives would anhialate anyone who stands up to them.

their methods are strenuous and their endurance, flexibility, strength and knowledge of the human body is incredible.

they probably aren't even allowed in these competitions because everyone knows it would be no competition.

aside from that, they train for health and spirituality. you wouldn't see an accomplished kung fu master want to fight. the training is for defence.

spaceman

19. mondo

mondo TRIBE Promoter

I met a tai chi chuan grandmaster from Edmonton once.

He told me that he will accept physical abuse and not fight back.

He would only counter if it were a life and death situation.

In this instance, he would turn his body into a ball of energy and 'expolde' onto his foe with such force that he would essentially die. I don't know exactly what that meant but my mouth formed the 'eeeek' shape.

20. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

I'm pretty sure the ninja would beat the robot, because robots have no emotion.

21. funkNstyle

funkNstyle TRIBE Member

UFC's a joke now. Too many rules, too much intervention. Selling out to million dollar companies would do that i guess.

Back in the day when the only rules were "no low blows and now biting" it was much more exciting. The fights would go on until someone tapped or got knocked out cold.... none of this "rounds" and "judging"
    Guys would keep going with broken hands and fingers.... on the other hand guys would break the opponents legs to win!

I even have the tape of the first UFC, before it was UFC. Very amateur filming and commentary but the fighting is raw. Its supposedly banned in North America. The first time i watched it, i thought i was going to be sick!

I miss the good ol' UFC :(

Jonny

22. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Like those classics of Royce Gracie lying on the ground with Ken Shamrock for 30+ minutes and doing absolutely nothing?

Yup. Those were the good 'ol days of exciting MMA. :rolleyes:

And "selling out to the million dollar companies"? This shows you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

23. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I was going to say - UFC is WAY better now. Maybe you don't get the level of brutality that rarely reared its head before. But you get much more watchable/exciting matches more consistently.

24. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

I don't even find that statement to be true either. At UFC 43, Marvin Eastman's gash on his head was no word of a lie about twice the length of his eyebrow and required about 20 stitches to close.

Here's a commentary on that match:

"Belfort had the height advantage and was able to grab Eastman's head and 2 jumping knees when Eastman came in for a high takedown. Eastman fell after the 2nd one, which gave him such a ridiculous gash it looked like he did the people's eyebrow so someone could carve that skin out like he was a pumpkin. Joe Rogan said, "It looks like he got hit with an ax." I think Eastman was already out, but Belfort pounced on him and did one of his trademark punch barrages to ensure the stoppage."

25. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Both the last UFC and the last Pride cards were solid from top to bottom.

I welcome a lot of the new rules because they're either put in place to make the fights more exciting or to keep the fighters "safe" (as safely as you can take an ass-kicking anyway ;) ).

And there are still exciting fights and good knockouts. Hopefully MMA will slowly catch on in North America like it is overseas.

Pete