• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

marketing material recommendation

kuba

TRIBE Member
Hi-

I'm seeking some recommendations on marketing books, specifically with regards to marketing to your existing customer base, and, marketing to targeted leads.

has anyone ever used a book at work to base your marketing plans on?

websites/ and/or other resources would be good, too, but I think I need a quick primer on how to market to a client first, and then I can get goin'

thanks, marketers!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
They had a few good ones at the Indigo on Bay.
I used them and they were alright.

The case studies give you lots of strategies that you can implement.

But what I am about to do is to watch the Apprentice and take notes as a part of my professional development.

I mean, why not considering these people have to employ marketing strategies in a short time period.

I actually found that the best marketting books are actual textbooks. I would check the U of T bookstore or something. I was reading Pinky Insane's and it was actually really informative.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Jake, I don't know what you do but our company gives us money to take seminars and courses of our choice during work time. If you have cash, I would look into taking some seminars. They last about 1 to 2 hours.

Also, I tend to look for ones being put on by non-profits as they are always free.

I was invited to the ROM one and it was fantastic. In 3 hours, they gave us statistics, tangible strategies to target your clients and then maintenance/development strategies to implement for the long-term.. It was $100 for 3 hours. Best resource ever.

I also took a Parkdale Liberty workshop for event planning/marketting that Dorianna actually organized and it was fantastic. I believe it was free.

If you do make some contacts with marketing people, see if they can refer you to some events. I find they always give out great resources.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
If you have your own list of customers your trying to drum up referrals for your business correct?

Do you have their key contact information along with some sort of metric as to the value they have brought to your business? What other information do you have on these customers?

Do you have a newsletter? Do you a letter template that is asking for referrals from your existing customers? Have you thought about surveying your customers, that will point our your most profitable customers, but also identify the key sources of referrals - that you can then target your marketing material towards?

Take a look at some of the financial advisory websites, they maybe of service, although I realize different business, same principals will apply.

I would start with www.advisor.ca, and look for anything from Advisor Impact, and of course Jeff Thorsteinson.

kuba

TRIBE Member
we have 600+ past clients who are going to be coming up for a mortgage renewal within the next 2-5 years. starting in 07, the wave of 5-year terms will end, and people will either ccall us (unlikely), or get bombed by other brokers/banks to go there (likely). we want to get to them before they are hounded by others.

i also have a list of potential leads for future business who i want to tap.

i also have a list of people who have mortgages now, and who will be expiring, but who are not my current clients.

so, there are three avenues of making more money. three great avenues. these peopel all have something, and they'll need to do something about it.

MOFO- where did you find info on the ROM course? invite only? how about the learning annex?

chrisd= i'm checking out the site now! thx (as always)

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
They had a few good ones at the Indigo on Bay.
I used them and they were alright.

The case studies give you lots of strategies that you can implement.

But what I am about to do is to watch the Apprentice and take notes as a part of my professional development.

I mean, why not considering these people have to employ marketing strategies in a short time period.

I actually found that the best marketting books are actual textbooks. I would check the U of T bookstore or something. I was reading Pinky Insane's and it was actually really informative.

mofo, watch the apprentice and take notes re: what they SHOULD have done, not what they did! ;)

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
we have 600+ past clients who are going to be coming up for a mortgage renewal within the next 2-5 years. starting in 07, the wave of 5-year terms will end, and people will either ccall us (unlikely), or get bombed by other brokers/banks to go there (likely). we want to get to them before they are hounded by others.

i also have a list of potential leads for future business who i want to tap.

i also have a list of people who have mortgages now, and who will be expiring, but who are not my current clients.

so, there are three avenues of making more money. three great avenues. these peopel all have something, and they'll need to do something about it.

MOFO- where did you find info on the ROM course? invite only? how about the learning annex?

chrisd= i'm checking out the site now! thx (as always)

one piece of advice ... don't just send them straight up info about the company or your sales pitch, weave in something useful to them. maybe that's advice / tips / the latest mortgage trends ... maybe that's an offer of some kind of benefit for going with you / referring others ... maybe it's a contest of some kind though I prefer the useful information over the contest personally.

the question is, with tons of people doing what you do, why should they go with you or stay with you or tell others about you? well, if you provide value-added services / information / attention or what have you, then you're building your case.

it's not just finding out what vehicles to use when marketing your company, you need to figure out what your STORY is ... why your company? that must be in the content you're sending out. Your marketing material should include information that distinguishes you from your competition ... to me the best way to do that is to become indespensible to them, they can COUNT on YOU for the right info, the right advice, whatever is appropriate to your business.

i guess if i get contacted by several people who do the same thing, then the one that stands out for me is the one that presents themselves as the most knowledgeable and capable and show that they give a shit about my time and my business. i can read a marketing pitch, sure. great. good. i see what you do, great. but what's in it for me? tell 'em that and you'll be going in the right direction. give 'em the info they need to figure that out for themselves? even better.

zoo

TRIBE Member
are you looking for specific book references?

buy a 2nd year marketing text book from u of t .. it will cost $100, but at least you can always refer back to it, and (if it's a decent text) it should include a few case studies in each chapter to help you get a good sense of the material

i've taken enough marketing courses to become a marketing major (no joke) and really it's all just common sense, the theory is so simple that the case studies are the only 'interesting' aspect of the courses ..