• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Mardi Gras 2004

stanimal

TRIBE Member
Well, I'm thinking of checking out Mardi Gras in New Orleans this year, and I wanted to hear some recommendations on what to see, where to stay, activities to attend or even just experiences from people who have gone before.

I'd like to stay near the action (I'm assuming this would be Bourboun St?), but not necessarily directly in it. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either, but I do want to get a decent taste of the Mardi Gras experience.

Help me out tribers!

Adam

TRIBE Member
I've been. It's awesome. New Orleans rocks.

Yes, it's a frat boy party.

Cheap booze, and you can drink on the streets though.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
I've heard it's one big frat-boy sausage party.
Pretty much. Though Mardis Gras is tons of fun. Bourbon St gets super duper crazy.

Words of advice:

1. Don't pee in public. Cops will be all over your ass.
2. Don't go with any girls. Unless you want to spend the whole time fighting off guys.
3. Learn to love Nitrous

*c*

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Adam

TRIBE Member
I stayed at a cheap-ass hostel on Carondelet street. It was in "The Ghetto"; Capital T, Capital G. We were walking home one night, and a cop said "why are you walking in this neighbourhood?"

We literally ran from the St. Charles streetcar to our hostel.

Cheap though.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Yikes... don't think I'd ever have the patience to put up with Mardi Gras.

That drunken frat boy mentality is something I steer clear from as much as possible.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Ohmigod, the guy with the outstretched hand is frightening!!

I've been to New Orleans...it's fun and a very interesting city...but after seeing Mardi Gras on "Cops," I don't think I want to attend.

~jen

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
my ex went to mardi gras - not sure where he stayed or what he did ( dont want to know) - I do know that he came home with about 90 pictures of breasts - I wasnt impressed

stanimal

TRIBE Member
Hmmm, I WILL be going with a few girls, but I'm sure they can handle themselves.

So asides from it being a huge "frat-boy" party, there must be some cool, fun things to check out, no?

Adam

TRIBE Member
Yeah, the frat boy boob hunters were quite a sight.

Dudes with cameras on long wooden poles so they could get past the crowds. I found it quite pathetic after a while.

A girl would have to be fucking crazy to lift her top on Bourbon Street. They got *mobbed* as soon as there was even a hint they were drunk enough to do it.

Adam

TRIBE Member
stanimal..it's definitely worth it.

The frat boy aspect is about 10% of the whole experience, so don't worry. Honestly, I had alot more fun leading up to the Bourbon Street parties than I did during them.

The city is fantastic..the French Quarter is an amazing place to walk around. Garden Distric, and the aboveground cemetaries too.

You can walk around Jackson's Square right on the banks of the Mississippi..quite a sight.

Personally, the parades (which are family friendly) were the hilight of the whole trip for me. Lots and lots of fun, drunken good times.

maddog

TRIBE Member
i was on bourbon for a bit this past halloween and its pathetic and boring.It smelt really bad and there were too many guys so we hit up a famous "Beignet" cafe and thats were it was at in terms of ladies then to a rave which was off the hook. Obviously u gotta do bourbon street but u prolly wont last to long its pretty lame how many dudes there are , annoying ones at that

roojew

Snapper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
I've been to New Orleans...it's fun and a very interesting city...but after seeing Mardi Gras on "Cops," I don't think I want to attend.

~jen
I saw this too, you can be having the time of your life there, and it turns into a complete 180 when you whip your cack out!

sugar

TRIBE Member
I was in New Orleans this past Halloween too (on business, but fortunately I had a chance to do some sightseeing/partying too).
Halloween was pretty crazy - packed streets, crazy costumes, boobs, booze, voodoo, etc - so I can only imagine Mardi Gras is even more nutso.

I stayed at the Marriott on Canal St (less than 5 minutes' walk from the heart of Bourbon St). It was $200US per night while I stayed there, so I imagine the prices would be even more jacked up for Mardi Gras. I would recommend a hotel NOT on Bourbon St (or any of the streets leading off of it), unless you want to be awake all night and all day from the noise.

While you're there, I HIGHLY recommend taking a tour outside the city. Louisiana is a beautiful state. I took a tour that included 2 plantations and a scenic drive up the Old River Road along the Mississippi, and it was incredible. It was $60US and well worth every penny.

p.s. The entire area around Canal St and the French Quarter smells like piss.

p.p.s. Don't go into the Wendy's on Canal St.