1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Marc Emery sentenced to 5 Years in the US

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Sep 10, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

from CP

SEATTLE—Canada’s flamboyant Prince of Pot has been sentenced in a U.S. court to five years in prison for being one of the largest marijuana seed suppliers in America.

U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan told the court Marc Emery made millions of dollars by shipping seeds into the United States and now he’s paying the price for being part of the illegal drug trade.

“Marc Emery decided that U.S. laws did not apply to him, but he was wrong,” Durkan said in a news release Friday.

“Emery put his personal profits above the law . . . He sold to anyone who would pay him — with no regard for the age or criminal activities of his customers.

“Now, Emery is paying the price for being part of the illegal drug trade that damages lives, homes and the environment.”

When U.S. District Court Judge Ricardo Martinez sentenced Emery in Seattle on Friday, he told him there was no question his actions were criminal and that Emery ensured others broke the law by selling them the seeds.

Emery was indicted in 2005, but it wasn’t until May of this year that he was extradited from Canada and left for Washington State after a plea agreement.

His lawyer arranged the five-year sentence on the charge of conspiracy to manufacture marijuana.

Emery’s wife, Jodie Emery, said in an interview that her husband is holding up, but his fight is not over.

She said right after court adjourned on Friday, his lawyer went to the Canadian consulate in Seattle to submit the paperwork to have Emery transferred back to Canada to serve his sentence here.

The arrangement requires the consent from Public Safety Minister Vic Toews and Jodie Emery conceded she’s not hopeful the Tory government will act quickly.

“I am not very optimistic just judging by the track record of this government,” she said in an interview. “They have been neglecting and refusing the applications from Canadians abroad ever since they came into power and they certainly don’t care for marijuana or marijuana drug law reform. So they haven’t really expressed any interest in helping Marc.”

The court noted that Emery claimed on his website to have made about $3 million a year for selling about four million seeds over the years from his Vancouver headquarters.

In his letter to the Seattle court, Emery said he “arrogantly violated U.S. law” and said he regrets he did not use legal methods to support his beliefs.

Last year, two employees of Emery Seeds were sentenced in Seattle to two years of probation for conspiracy to manufacture marijuana.

Michele Leonhart, a spokeswoman for the Drug Enforcement Administration, said Emery didn’t consider whether his actions harmed families or led to violence.

“Due to the extraordinary co-operation between Canadian and U.S. law enforcement, Emery’s conspiracy was shattered and he is now a convicted felon,” she said.

2. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Total crock o' shit, ridiculous that the Canadian gov't allowed him to be extradited to the U.S. They're just pissed that Emery funnelled a large portion of his profits back into cannabis advocacy projects - he's just another thorn in the side of their failed war on druuugs, maaaan...

3. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

:rolleyes:

this is a great example of how Canada is pressured and bullied by the US. Can't believe he is doing 5 years :O in an american prison for selling seeds, which do not contain thc and are not a controlled substance in Canada.

4. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

I'm wondering, if the "offense" itself was committed in Canada and since it is not illegal to distribute this in Canada then how did this fly in the US? Shouldn't the US customs or United States Postal Service have stopped and confiscated the seeds?

5. pig-pen

pig-pen TRIBE Member

The USA really has to take a long look at itself in the mirror on all this war on drugs shit. Like, really. Jesus H. Murphy.

6. Beings

Beings TRIBE Member

Imagine how it must feel for your own country to just hand you over. Politicians, grow a fucking backbone.

7. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Over / under on how many years his rather attractive wife will wait til she bolts?

1.5 is mine.

[​IMG]

8. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Now watch prop 19 in Cali legalize it and make this mess even more retarded.

9. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Can we make that bet on you, instead?

10. krosum

krosum TRIBE Member

11. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

HMmm I'm predicting he has an "accident" in American Jail.

12. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Elaborate pls

13. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

I predict he has a specific, unexpected, unusual and unintended external action which occurs in a particular time and place, with no apparent and deliberate cause but with marked effects. It implies a generally negative outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence, in America jail.

Experts in the field of injury prevention avoid use of the term 'accident' to describe events that cause injury in an attempt to highlight the predictable and preventable nature of most injuries. Such incidents are viewed from the perspective of epidemiology - predictable and preventable. Preferred words are more descriptive of the event itself, rather than of its unintended nature (e.g., collision, drowning, fall, etc.)

Accidents of particularly common types (auto, fire, etc.) are investigated to identify how to avoid them in the future. This is sometimes called root cause analysis, but does not generally apply to accidents that cannot be deterministically predicted. A root cause of an uncommon and purely random accident may never be identified, and thus future similar accidents remain "accidental."

14. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I'm still confident that he'll serve his time in a Canadian jail

15. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

Reading that he was sentenced to 5 years in the US was bad enough, opening the thread and finding out he actually has to go to jail is even worse!

16. derek

derek TRIBE Member

dude, he sold mj seeds, he's not a rapist. i highly doubt he's on any hitlists.

so if there are any accidents, they're likely just that.

17. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Getting shived in the shower is my least favorite accident.

18. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

if anything he'll probably make some decent 'connections' while on the inside. You know, future subscribers to the 'seed-o-the-month' club.

19. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

brutal!