• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Maple Leaf Gardens: A Loblaws No More

AGrayson

TRIBE Member
Dammit. I live right by there and was giddy that there would be a Loblaws AND a new Dominion right next door.

Oh well. At least this leaves the door open to keep it an arena.. maybe??

adam

Loblaws deal to buy Gardens collapses

CANADIAN PRESS

A deal to convert the historic home of the Toronto Maple Leafs into a grocery store has collapsed.
Loblaw Cos. Ltd., Canada's largest grocery chain, announced today it will not go ahead with plans to buy Maple Leaf Gardens, citing high costs to covert the downtown Toronto hockey shrine into a Loblaws store.

Loblaws said the high costs to complete the project "outweigh the benefits" to the Toronto food chain.

The sale was announced in October and was expected to be completed by early next year once customary approvals were reached. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Loblaws was aiming to build and open a Loblaws "combination food and non-food market" in 2005 with other retailers within the existing interior of the Gardens. One retail outlet was to sell Maple Leaf memorabilia and merchandise.

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., owner of the NHL's Leafs and the NBA's Toronto Raptors, said it respected the grocery firm's decision and will now entertain new offers for the 72-year-old building.

Renovation chain Home Depot had reportedly made a competitive bid that would see one of its big-box outlets, plus condominiums, on the site in downtown Toronto. Eugene Melnyk, owner of the NHL's Ottawa Senators and chief executive of drug producer Biovail Corp., had also expressed interest in the site as a new home for his Toronto-based junior hockey club, the Ontario Hockey League's St. Michael's Majors.

In trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange today, Loblaw shares rose 27 cents to $65.32. Shares of parent company George Weston Ltd. (TSX:WN) fell 40 cents to $101

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AGrayson

TRIBE Member
Yeah, sounds funny, but the Gardens would be too small, I would think. And of course, no cars could park. :p

Home Depot's itching to get a location downtown though, so that could be come a reality.

I say just leave it as it is. I like having breakfast at the Golden Griddle and watching the tourists stop and pose all the time in front of it. :)

adam

AGrayson

TRIBE Member
Don't know what it is, I've been living down here for three years but I can't get enough of that Golden Griddle.. especially after a night at the bar.

Mmm... Twisted Chicken sandwich..

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
That's too bad - Would've liked to have a Loblaws so close.

I'll take a Home Depot anyday though!
Just go to college park right across the steet. Downstairs there is a dominion.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i had a dream last night that i was getting robbed in college park. then i was in the west end selling heroin. i'm going back to bed now.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
oh god, the idea of it being some tacky mega-mart was just the worst.

I suggest they make it the new hockey hall of fame, the current one sort of sucks in the basement of BCE place.

I detest the idea of it being any sort of corporate retail space.

billy

TRIBE Member
You people are sick. Any right minded Torontonian would believe that MLG should remain as an arena, or something connected to hockey, not a f*@king grocery store or IKEA, etc.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
You were happy that it was becoming a loblawS?
I was so pissed when I found out.. I think it should have been turned into hockey hall of fame museum instead of a stupid grocery store:mad:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by billy
You people are sick. Any right minded Torontonian would believe that MLG should remain as an arena, or something connected to hockey, not a f*@king grocery store or IKEA, etc.
This debate was already had in another thread. Leave the Gardens for what it was. Enjoy the memories, let the legend live on. No point in diluting it with lower level hockey.

They aren't going to put the HHOF of fame in because it it is MAPLE LEAF gardens. Not the NHL Gardens. Add to the fact that the current place is great too, with the big brick wall room full of arching windows streaming bright lights onto the cup...

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
I am still hoping they put a Loblaws in at the Food Bank (Lakeshore and Bathurst). Anybody know if those rumours are true?

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
my source in the know tells me it will be the new site of the guvernment once the current location is sold to make condos.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
a Home Depot downtown would be soooo impractical.
Seriously now... who needs Drywall in the downtown core?

an Ikea makes more sense.

Their best bet would be to have Cadillac-Fairview buy it and turn it into a mall. Put in Gap, Old Navy, AE, Eddie Bauer and other crap like taht.

billy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
This debate was already had in another thread. Leave the Gardens for what it was. Enjoy the memories, let the legend live on. No point in diluting it with lower level hockey.

They aren't going to put the HHOF of fame in because it it is MAPLE LEAF gardens. Not the NHL Gardens. Add to the fact that the current place is great too, with the big brick wall room full of arching windows streaming bright lights onto the cup...
the responses here don't reflect what you claim this other thread decided. that's the only reason why i'm making a huff.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories