1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Man-made climate change - we're doomed!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by wickedken, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

2. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Hey if we can save the planet and not pay anything for it then it's pretty obvious. What's not to like? According to the CBC, only "wealthy people" will end up paying more, and who cares about them right? No brainer!

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

The point is that companies that don't pollute (or at least pollute less) *won't* need to raise prices, and thus get an advantage. Consumers get the rebate regardless of which they buy. Everybody wins except the companies that can't/won't reduce their emissions.

It really is a no brainer!

More could be done, certainly, but this is the right direction for sure - and is fundamentally a conservative, market-oriented policy.

4. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I know! You know that even when Exxon Mobile supports carbon taxation that it must be good.

5. Bernnie Federko

6. Bernnie Federko

7. Bernnie Federko

8. Bernnie Federko

9. Bernnie Federko

10. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

11. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

12. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

13. Bernnie Federko

14. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Do you own homework Berrnnnn

15. Bernnie Federko

Yo Frothyface, my bum is on your lips

16. DJ_Science

DJ_Science TRIBE Member

17. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Wife and I joining more and varied climate groups - noticing a rise of "Doomists" - kind of a weird pseudoscience/quasi-conspiracy subculture in the "Climate change is real" camp but some even going so far as to say we're gonna turn to Venus in a few decades.

You can totally see like, why they would freak out a bit i mean - most science lately is, well, kind of alarming. Feedback loops we didn't factor in, oceans taking warmth deep so we weren't truly tracking the rise in ocean temp - methane appearing in higher quantities than we expected given what we know was one story just from the last weeks in a run of these!

So I get it - but talking to "doomists" can be just as frustrating as talking to climate denialists - and they both end up feeding a hopelessness and futility and bottomless cynicism about anything we can do to make things less shitty for us.

18. Bernnie Federko

19. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I also like the way Jerry Taylor talks about it, he gives conservatives rationales they can glom into easier, like how future warming costs exceed short term mitigation costs and how investors hedge on risks when they face potential high cost investment decisions right - so why wouldn't we hedge risks related to climate change?

20. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

It's been happening.

Weather Derivatives: Hedging on Mother Nature - OpenMarkets

21. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

22. Bernnie Federko

23. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I like how the conservatives now have rationales they can glom into easier, like making money.

24. Bernnie Federko

They talk a big game about saving money, improving the playing field for folks, yet they never do tho... Why?

25. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Bet there's a rationale for it! In other news carbon has apparently reached some sort of threshold in the atmosphere. Glad the carbon tax is going to solve that problem.