• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Man, I really wanna explore Canada

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
As in, DUDE i really wanna explore our Country.

over the last few weeks, due to logistical this and that, I've had to look at Canada from a kind of clinical, outsider point of view.

I was struck by a bizarre sense of foreignness, even though Canada is of course the place I was born(ed) and raised!

I was looking at things like railroads, highways, "population attitudes", geography, etc.

While I was doing this, I was looking at place names, in varying degrees of First Nation, French, and English... And then something came back to hit me hard and weird.

I did my best to not take for granted what Canada is. I have always been, and still am, a proud Canadian. But from the inside it was always kinda hard to -really- know what exactly "canadianism" is/was.

Today I was looking over surveys just reading some of the names I started to get that desperate travel bug, the kind that usually brings me to other corners of the world. In a way it was a nostalgic way-back-play-back to those games you'd play on the ICONS developing your "pioneer" farms and other prototypical Canadian stuff back in the day.

ANYWAYS I was specifically looking at places in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI, and New Brunswick (ps: this post is not forward looking and should not affect your portfolio or investment strategies) and suddenly realized I have spent entirely too little time there. Despite the fact that some of the nicest, easiest going people in the world that I have met live there.

I "generally" consider myself more of an easterner, only perhaps because 'westerners' have told me so... yet I've been west of ontario to calgary, regina, and vancouver countless times but only once further east than montreal. And that "once" was a hell of a long time ago.

Also I would like to share a comment I enjoyed from a person I met the other day.

He is half Thai, half Japanese. He asked where I was from, I said Canada.

he asked if I knew "Toronto". I said "Of course, my city is near to there."
(i always say "near" instead of "close" because "close" can lead to misunderstandings)

He said, "I know Toronto, it is the most multicultural city in the world."
I said, "Are you sure?"
He said, (not really in english) "Yeah. I want to go there because it is the only place that has so much peace."

So a few things were going through my head at that time but I didn't interrupt his opinion because, when you/I sit back and think about it, it's true. Toronto really is a bizarrely unique place in the world, and that reputation is, albeit slowly, reaching a global audience.

Cheers to you guys for keeping it real on the home front!

-jM
A&D

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus said:
He said, "I know Toronto, it is the most multicultural city in the world."
I said, "Are you sure?"
He said, (not really in english) "Yeah. I want to go there because it is the only place that has so much peace."

So a few things were going through my head at that time but I didn't interrupt his opinion because, when you/I sit back and think about it, it's true. Toronto really is a bizarrely unique place in the world, and that reputation is, albeit slowly, reaching a global audience.

-jM
A&D
Unique? perhaps.
Peaceful? your friend needs to travel more or learn more about other countries.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
ravinjunkie said:
Unique? perhaps.
Peaceful? your friend needs to travel more or learn more about other countries.
Perhaps you could do with a dose of contrast yourself. My post was generally intended to highlight the things that many Canadians take for granted. If you think that Toronto is a dangerous or unpeaceful place, as your proxy attorney, I advise you to travel/live in a place as equally multicultural and thereafter revisit your opinion.

-jM
A&D
ps: I don't mean Barrie

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

why not

TRIBE Member
it's amazing how much some time in another culture makes you aware of your canadian-ness, and what it represents for the rest of the world.

there's so much of this country that i haven't seen and really want to.
i've never been west, and i'd love to go really far north some day.
the east coast is beautiful, and i'd like to spend some real time in montreal someday.

despite our similarities with the states, we really are a unique country.

i like those commercials they've been running lately of people in exotic places telling us how lucky we are to live in such an exotic place.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I've had the luxury of travelling coast to coast twice and living coast to coast... and the more I see, the more I learn, the more people I meet, the more I realize that we truly have it better than anyone.

Wait until you see the east Jeffsus!

Boo

TRIBE Member
As much as I love Canada, and think its a great place to explore... Canadians really need to get out more and see the world. We are really under represented when it comes to international travel.

I've met more Kiwis aborad than I have Canadians - and they have about 1/10th the population, same as Irish.

ex: the working holiday programme in Australia provides for overseas youth visitors to work and explore the country. Ireland has about over twice the applicants that Canada does, despite Canada being about 10 times the size.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
groovespinna said:
you pay for it man. Ill go anywhere.
LOL..

I've been to Europe a few times. At first, meeting ppl is awkward. They seem very distant, until I tell them "I AM CANADIAN" ;) Then they act as if I'm their long lost best friend..(Originally they think I'm an American).

I've done some exploring in Canada. Not enough though. I, too, need to visit the maritimes.. My sister drove from Toronto to Vancouver by herself and says it was the most amazing trip she has ever done..

Soulster

TRIBE Member
Boo said:
As much as I love Canada, and think its a great place to explore... Canadians really need to get out more and see the world. We are really under represented when it comes to international travel.

I've met more Kiwis aborad than I have Canadians - and they have about 1/10th the population, same as Irish.

ex: the working holiday programme in Australia provides for overseas youth visitors to work and explore the country. Ireland has about over twice the applicants that Canada does, despite Canada being about 10 times the size.
i don't know about the irish, but aussies and kiwis are exceptional travellers abroad. i think it's because they're so far away from everything else, that when they travel they REALLY travel. a lot of canadians will go somewhere for 2 week, or a month... when aussies and kiwis travel they usually do it for a year.

imo, aussies and canadians both really underestimate the amount of incredible things there are to see and do in their own countires. both are vast and each region is markedly different.

i've only been east of montreal once, to halifax. i would really love the chance to do some serious travelling out east.

G-FrEsH

TRIBE Promoter
maybe you saw the commercial about exploring canada.... i would... but no money

and wait till the oilers win then start in edmonton

Beats-Mistress

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus....sounds like you need to make some time and explore this great country. Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI, and New Brunswick sound like fun....Just do it!!!

Don't forget to put up your blog of adventures :)
No matter where you go....the best place to call him is still Canada.