• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Making my Lunch at work

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
So I went Loblaws yesterday and bought myself some

Montreal Style Smoked Turkey 5$
Deli Sliced Cheddar 3.50$
3 Kaiser Buns 1$
3 Ramen Noodle Soups 0.50$
1 Jar of Hellman's REAL MAYONAISE (There is no substitute) 4.25$

And made myself a sammich

I ended up using HALF of the Turkey and HALF of the cheese for one sammich.

2.50 + 1.75 + 0.33 = 4.58$ for the sammich
+0.50$ for the soup
+0.75$ for the Diet Pepsi from the Vending Machine.
--------------------------------------------------------------
5.83$ Total for my lunch

How is that supposed to save me money to make my lunch? I can eat at Wendy's for under 5$?! (1.39$ menu rocks... 2 burgers and a chili)

But then again... this smoked turkey is SO DAMN GOOOOOOD.

Maybe if I didn't make it the same way they make a Roast Beef Sammich in Montreal... I piled on the turkey... about half an inch of it.

I wish I had more of the smoked turkey for another.

MMMMM... So Damn GOOD.

What do you normally bring to lunch?

marcinm

TRIBE Member
chicken breast and iceberg lettuce on rye w/ mayonnaise and juice.. i'm pretty sure that comes in waaaay under $5... and won't kill you like Wendy's does lol :D

Caz

TRIBE Member
I'm huge on the leftover chinese food. So unhealthy, but i eat more chow-mein than Jackie Chan and it wlaways works out to have it for lunch the next day.

Caz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by marcinm
chicken breast and iceberg lettuce on rye w/ mayonnaise and juice.. i'm pretty sure that comes in waaaay under $5... and won't kill you like Wendy's does lol :D

yeah, but then he's gotta have either a pre-cooked (and reheated) breast *puke*

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Eating left-over turkey stirfry from last night's dinner. I also bring sandwiches to work...but I only put on two-three slices of meat and one slice of cheese so the packages of both last me a while.

And I buy cases of pop...single servings are ridiculously priced when you compare.

~jen

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Yup, I agree. I do that too and it ends up costing me just a little bit under what I'd spent normally. But Nick, doooooooooooooood, how can you eat $2.50 in meat? Haha.

There's ONE problem.

And your second problem? You're buying shit from Loblaw's.

Ramen noodles can be bought in boxes and end up being about 15 cents each.

I usually buy takeout and eat leftovers for lunch. Or PC lasagnas are good. Cook 'em at home, plop it is a container and nuke it at work.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
That's what I hate about being healthy.

Good healthy food costs a lot more than junk food.
And if you want Organic, you're gonna pay out your arse.

And I agree... $2.50 of meat from the Deli, must of been a great sandwich... ;)

pr0nstar :D

kat

TRIBE Member
ohhh this is the suckiest part of the month

i have to save my money for stupid rent on monday
i cant afford to buy more food
i dont have any leftovers for lunch
i cant afford the stupid druxys in this building
so i have to keep skipping lunch

sooo hungy :(

hurry up day and be over..i need to come home to my bread and butter

beh complainaise sammich and a stick of cinnamon dentene ice

byebye
kait

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Dude you got ripped on your smoked Turkey. I buy 300 grams at Price chopper for under 4 bucks.

And that will last me at least a weeks worth of Sandwiches.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
But Nick, doooooooooooooood, how can you eat $2.50 in meat? Haha.

There's ONE problem.

And your second problem? You're buying shit from Loblaw's.

Hehehe... because I'm a CARNIVORE! I have eaten 400grams of sliced turkey before... I dont know how or why... I just love the stuff.

And for the Lablaws thing... Buddy... you should try the smoked turkey they have there... it's SOOOO TASTY.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
That's what I hate about being healthy.

Good healthy food costs a lot more than junk food.
And if you want Organic, you're gonna pay out your arse.

And I agree... $2.50 of meat from the Deli, must of been a great sandwich... ;)

pr0nstar :D

I buy meat from the deli and it's like $3. And it's pretty much 3 generous servings.

Here's some tips:

Buy your own pop and juice. Keep it at work. At $2 a bottle, you can have 12 at $3.99.

Make stir-fries on rice. So easy. So cheap.

Stop going to Loblaw's.

Don't buy microwave dinners. They don't fill you up and end up costing more. Buy big things like lasagna, penne or nuggets. Then cook them the night before. Have them ready to nuke the next day.

If you're getting takeout at night, I always buy a little more so I have lunch the next day. Or an extra order of something cheap like Taste of Hong Kong.

Always make your own salad.

Buy your vegetables in Chinatown. Only place to get 3 romaine lettuce stalks for a loonie.

JAR

TRIBE Member
usually a sammy (turkey, hot capicollo, black forest, etc.) with cheese, tomato, maybe some olives on there. lately I've been bringing celery. always a yogurt. and some fruit - pear, orange, grapes. ALWAYS have an apple on the subway ride to the gym after work.

or I bring last night's leftovers.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
Hehehe... because I'm a CARNIVORE! I have eaten 400grams of sliced turkey before... I dont know how or why... I just love the stuff.

And for the Lablaws thing... Buddy... you should try the smoked turkey they have there... it's SOOOO TASTY.

I DO buy the smoke meat there. And the cajun turkey. But you're trying to save money,. right? And in a work sandwich, it really all just mashes together anyway. I don't think you'd find a significant difference between smoked turkey and turkey you buy in the packages for half the price.

Oh, and I agree with the mayo. NOTHING else please.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Two years living on my own and I still haven't mastered the art of cooking for one person yet. So I have left overs, sometimes for days but when you cook a really good meal you don't mind. Last night I made chicken parm with spagetti and had it again for lunch. I make a kick ass lasagna which always lasts me for days. Stirfrys and chili are also good reheats for lunch. And in the BBQ season I always make an extra chicken breast that I chop up and eat on a kaiser. Yum.

I get bored with sandwiches if I have to eat them for more then a couple of lunches in a row. Mostly because I can't stand day old bread. I love it fresh and piled with meat and mustard. A nice Dijon with turkey is fanfuckintastic.

Caz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
I buy meat from the deli and it's like $3. And it's pretty much 3 generous servings.

Here's some tips:

Buy your own pop and juice. Keep it at work. At $2 a bottle, you can have 12 at $3.99.

Make stir-fries on rice. So easy. So cheap.

Stop going to Loblaw's.

Don't buy microwave dinners. They don't fill you up and end up costing more. Buy big things like lasagna, penne or nuggets. Then cook them the night before. Have them ready to nuke the next day.

If you're getting takeout at night, I always buy a little more so I have lunch the next day. Or an extra order of something cheap like Taste of Hong Kong.

Always make your own salad.

Buy your vegetables in Chinatown. Only place to get 3 romaine lettuce stalks for a loonie.

awesome!

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Two years living on my own and I still haven't mastered the art of cooking for one person yet. So I have left overs, sometimes for days but when you cook a really good meal you don't mind. Last night I made chicken parm with spagetti and had it again for lunch. I make a kick ass lasagna which always lasts me for days. Stirfrys and chili are also good reheats for lunch. And in the BBQ season I always make an extra chicken breast that I chop up and eat on a kaiser. Yum.

I get bored with sandwiches if I have to eat them for more then a couple of lunches in a row. Mostly because I can't stand day old bread. I love it fresh and piled with meat and mustard. A nice Dijon with turkey is fanfuckintastic.

Same here, on both counts. I'm trying to do "real" cooking more often (not just meat + veggies)...I'm aiming for 3 times a week. Today's lunch was yesterday's dinner, and I put another portion in the freezer, which rocks.

I also keep my bread in the freezer because I don't eat it fast enough.

~jen

kmac

TRIBE Member
Or I end up making a huge pot of chili on Monday, which costs maybe $15-$20 to make, and I have lunch all week for cheap.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kmac
Or I end up making a huge pot of chili on Monday, which costs maybe $15-$20 to make, and I have lunch all week for cheap.
I would hate to be your coworkers then. :)