1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Making delicious coffee

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Snuffy, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

So how do you like to brew your coffee? What beans do you use and where do you buy em?

I was thinking of buying a French press or a moka pot:

[​IMG]

The vacuum pot also looked really nifty, but I doubt that I could find one that would only make a few cups:

[​IMG]

I plan to experiment with stuff from Starbucks, but I'm wondering if there's other good roasters in the city that I should try?

2. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

Moonbeam in kensington is the only place to get beans in this city as far as I'm concerned. You really can't go wrong with any of their products, although I really like the huehuhetango (sp?) beans. For an extra special treat, they sell hawaiian Kona beans at like 36$/pound, it's pure rape but it is without a doubt the best cup of coffee you will ever experience.

3. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

I don't drink coffee, however my husband does. Because of that we use a french press which easily makes 1 or 2 cups (we have 2 sizes) without the hassle of percolators, etc.

For beans he's really liking the Kicking Horse stuff right now.
    Home | Kicking Horse Coffee

4. djdeposit

djdeposit TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

= :O------>:D

5. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Rainforest Alliance is a certification body for companies like Kraft and Chiquita, which aren't exactly known for their ethical business practices. Better off looking for the actual Fair Trade logo on your product - better chance that the workers producing your beans are actually being paid a decent day's wage.

+1 on Moonbean - I know most Kensington denizens are all about Ideal, but their roast always smells burned to me.

Actually hardly drinking any coffee these days - caffeine and I don't get along like we used to.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  6. technowelt

technowelt TRIBE Member

Moka pots make a reasonable espresso facsimile, but if I had to choose one, it would be the French press. Make sure you buy coarse ground coffee, or better yet a decent burr grinder!

7. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

I used to roast my own coffee but have been buying roasted beans from the Green Beanery for a while, but my last batch was from Moonbean (I think... the spot on the corner in K-Market with tons of variety??)

You'll definitely taste the difference in roasting it yourself, especially in the first couple days after roasting it. It's a bit of a pain in the arse, especially if you don't have a stove vent... Check out the Green Beanery or Merchants of Green Coffee if you're up for it...

As for brewing, I prefer the manual drip-coffee filter over any perculator...

8. djdeposit

djdeposit TRIBE Member

The Coffee itself is good, but i don't agree with unfair wages. (Unfortunately that was the only picture I could find on the net).

Another one I have been buying, and packs a bold flavor

[​IMG]