1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Make Up Schools

Discussion in 'Girl Stuff Forum' started by smack, Jul 7, 2010.

1. smack

smack TRIBE Member

My wife (who isn't on Tribe) is interested in going to make up school here in Toronto. I wanted to ask the Tribe ladies (and guys) who have attended such schools about their experiences. Which are the good schools? What have your experiences been? Good and bad. How do you break in to the industry? She's also a photographer so I'm sure that would have some benefit to it.

Thanks for your help Tribe!

2. peko

peko TRIBE Member

3. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

She don't need no fancy book learnin'

[​IMG]

4. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

not to be a debbie downer, but your wife would be wise to do a lot of background research about that market and demand for make up artists in Toronto. From what I understand (through a good friend who was a model and also wanted to become a makeup artist) the Toronto market may be over-saturated.

That was about 2 years ago though, so I have no idea what the scoop is now.

With that being said, if she has some incredible talent, particularly with stage/theatre/fil makeup in addition to everyday makeup artistry, she might be able to carve out a niche.

5. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

^^^ it's true. my best friend is an incredibly talented make up artist and she has struggled for years to try to make a living doing what she loves in toronto (and england). it's a really tough industry to break into, from what i've seen.

i do know there are a few schools - complexions (sp?) and the yorkville school of makeup. and that's all i know!