• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

"MAINSTREAM" NITECLUBS and the People Who Laugh at the People Who Go To Them

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
it's been a long time since i went to a party that did not play purely electronic music of one kind or another.

you know what they say, right?

"normal" or "mainstream" clubs suck because the music is bad, the guys are just there to pick up girls, the girls are all skanks, the ginos are extra gino-like, nobody dances, people bump into you and don't say sorry, sweaty jocks try to pick fights, frat boys try to feel up your lady-friends and, gosh darn it, it's just not about the fucking music. like it should be. you know, like, FTWK and shit.

so, anyway, on saturday, a bunch of us went to roxy blu for big league chu's birthday, hit the dance floor and had a f*cking awesome time. i know roxy blu may not be a "mainstream" club, but the music and the crowd was certainly more "mainstream" than "normal". that is, if hip hop and rnb is "mainstream" and "normal" to you. (or something.)

please note that i am putting quotes around these words because they mean different things to different people. please also note that i am purposely using stereotypes and over-generalizations and when i say "gino" i mean meatheads that wear gold chains and too much cologne, and not italian people. (please also note that i do not have anything against gold chains and whether or not someone is wearing "too much" cologne is, i suppose, purely subjective as well.)

so, who here goes to the joker? or g-spot? or devils's martini? or other "mainstream" places?

what's good? what's fun? where do all the hot ladies go and why?

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

IgStar

TRIBE Member
well, I don't hit any of those spots. But we have a few "mainstream" clubs here, let's face it, that's pretty much all
K-W has.
However, there are those few nights where we wanna listen to cheese-ass 80's tunes and just let loose.
I find those are the nights I almost have too much fun, cuz it's just different than the clubs we normally hit.
It's a nice change to just go, and be like "mainstreamers"
HA!

Big League Chu

TRIBE Member
It's the crew you bring with you that makes the time. We had assembled a pretty kickin' crew to take over that section of Roxy. Hope you got some sleep on Sunday Will.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
"Mainstream" clubs can be a bunch of fun...I mean...I'm from Saskatchewan and we don't have any strictly "electronica" clubs at all.

Every bar plays RnB, Hip Hop, Rock n Roll.....hell, I even work at one!

It's all in what you make of it, who you go with and how stinking drunk you get.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

starr

TRIBE Member
sadly will i can only confirm the horror stories about mainstream clubs

once for a girls night out we all ended up at Oxygen or O2 or whatever it's called (the bar beside tonic)

we were pleasantly surprised by some tunes by the dj, but the people were fucked

men with zero social skills...to the point of it almost being harassment - no joke
thank god for the bartender and his free shots, i think he saw that we were having a rough time and rewarded us for sticking around

next girls night out will definitely be somewhere less mainstream.....roxy sounds good

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I end up at the Phoenix maybe once every 6 months or so when some of my friends want to remember what it was like to party university styles again. I was also at the Mod Club on College a couple of weeks ago and the music was surprisingly good for top 40 rock stuff. They even played some Underworld! The DJs there definitely thought they were rock stars though.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Joker
Menage
La Rouge
Tonic
The Drink on Saturdays

partially because they're work related clubs, and partially because it adds variety.

T.O.B'

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Eclectic

It's all in what you make of it, who you go with and how stinking drunk you get.

TOTALLY.

so true.

and yes, stinking drunk.
pissed outta your gord. yup. :)

<--lip synched Bon Jovi once on the dancefloor, and then GnR

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
Friday night I ended up at the Phoenix and the palce has not changed. Ryerson youngins and horny rocker cougs. Throw in soem jocks and you got a really bad drunken night. The hto dog vendor saved my life...

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Big League Chu
It's the crew you bring with you that makes the time. We had assembled a pretty kickin' crew to take over that section of Roxy. Hope you got some sleep on Sunday Will.

i agree and we should assemble another crew to take over another club sometime soon.

i think you may have said goodbye when you left. you weren't making much sense so i'm not entirely sure that's what you said. :p

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MC Bias
The Drink on Saturdays
I wouldn't necessarily lump The Drink together with some of those other places. The music is not exactly "top 40" and a lot of the clientele do have an appreciation for it.

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
i agree and we should assemble another crew to take over another club sometime soon.

i think you may have said goodbye when you left. you weren't making much sense so i'm not entirely sure that's what you said. :p

Hey Will no worries. I have video clips to figure out what he was saying. I will have a team go voer the evidence tonight.

chrome <- remixed by GZA

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by ChROmE
Friday night I ended up at the Phoenix and the palce has not changed. Ryerson youngins and horny rocker cougs. Throw in soem jocks and you got a really bad drunken night. The hto dog vendor saved my life...
I know people who love that place for all the reasons you listed above.

Poot

TRIBE Member
Eh, Will - I think you're just getting soft in your old age :p

(and why do you hate Italians? My dad's gonna kick your ass, ya know :p He's revving his '68 Camaro and headed to your place right now... JK - hahaha)

Anyhow, my thoughts are: a) yeah, it always comes down to your crowd - it's up to you to make the fun, and b) outside of what can be some bad, bad music, the toughest thing I find is just dealing with a vibe & a mindset that is so different from what I'm used to.
But again, you make your own night, to an extent.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
we all went to the joker on sat night for a friend's birthday. it was my first time there, and we all had a fucking blast! we drank, we danced (to really bad retro and hip hop), we laughed, and then we drank some more once we got home.

it's ALL about the company and their desire to have fun!

Adam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
I know people who love that place for all the reasons you listed above.

Agreed.

There's a little bit a snobbery in this thread that's uncalled for.

I've had some of the most fun, hilarious nights of my life dancing to retro at places like the Phoenix.

It's kind of silly to presume that people who listen to mainstream music don't appreciate music to the same degree as people who go to more underground clubs.

They just might not have the attitude about it.

C-NiCE

TRIBE Promoter
I absolutely subscribe to the theory that it's not where you are but who you are with. I've been to Left Bank and other such joints where the music in my mind was sub par and still had great nights. Alchohol was a factor most of these nights but nothing beats haveing a good crew to go out with regrdless where your destintion is.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
I didn't realize people laughed at others who go to mainstream nightclubs...

you probably also didn't realize that people laughed at guys that wore shirts and ties and soothers to parties. :p

as long as there are people, there will be other people who laugh at those people.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
it's been a long time since i went to a party that did not play purely electronic music of one kind or another.

you know what they say, right?

"normal" or "mainstream" clubs suck because the music is bad, the guys are just there to pick up girls, the girls are all skanks, the ginos are extra gino-like, nobody dances, people bump into you and don't say sorry, sweaty jocks try to pick fights, frat boys try to feel up your lady-friends and, gosh darn it, it's just not about the fucking music. like it should be. you know, like, FTWK and shit.

so, anyway, on saturday, a bunch of us went to roxy blu for big league chu's birthday, hit the dance floor and had a f*cking awesome time. i know roxy blu may not be a "mainstream" club, but the music and the crowd was certainly more "mainstream" than "normal". that is, if hip hop and rnb is "mainstream" and "normal" to you. (or something.)

please note that i am putting quotes around these words because they mean different things to different people. please also note that i am purposely using stereotypes and over-generalizations and when i say "gino" i mean meatheads that wear gold chains and too much cologne, and not italian people. (please also note that i do not have anything against gold chains and whether or not someone is wearing "too much" cologne is, i suppose, purely subjective as well.)

so, who here goes to the joker? or g-spot? or devils's martini? or other "mainstream" places?

what's good? what's fun? where do all the hot ladies go and why?

Honestly.
I have been wanting to go to a Salsa club.
There are tons and tons of ladies to pick up. Not just spanish girls but all sorts of girls that want to have a good time.
Anwyays, the dance itself seems to break the ice in terms of socializing because it is so touchy.
I haven't been yet but I think I am probably going to go.

House parties are always the best other than that.

starr

TRIBE Member
every time i've been the phoenix it's been good :)

just don't go to that place beside tonic, "O" whatever - scary

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Dance Cave.

Not really "mainstream" but a lot closer to it. Whenever I've gone there with a crew it's a blast. Go, get loaded and dance your ass off to music that's about 1/2 the speed you're used to. :)