• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Magnetic core memory

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Today, being Saturday, I enjoyed sleeping until 11am.

I got out of bed.

Were it a weekday, I'd be awake earlier and take a shower. Thankfully, it is Saturday.

Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, organ - YouTube

I came downstairs to make sure that nobody was still here. There was nobody. I used the mainfloor washroom.

I sat on my couch and stared squarely at my most recent piece of acquired art.
Then I got bored of staring at it, so I got up, and lifted it from the wall, and brought it back to the couch, where I could look at it more firmly.

It is original magnetic core memory from a Univac. Now, neatly framed, gifted to me from a relative who worked on that equipment.

Nowadays we have neatly, tucked away, billions of such equivalent devices but here I was holding in my hand a countable, oh, I'd say about 256 of them. Core magnets. For a univac.

Bidding begins at $1.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Univac memory cards, framed.

I'll start the bidding at $10,000CAD.

This is original, univac cards. Memory core is in perfect condition. Gifted to me by a mathematician, Catholic, math teacher for most of KW.

Pictures available on request.

Jeff

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
A collector in San Luis Obispo has offered me $12,000USD.

This is an ORIGINAL, copper dissolved UNIVAC memory made of MAGNETIC CORE bits. Highly valuable to any museum, and actually, still functional! I do not see anything like it on the market.

Any computer historian is going to ask for this device, $12,000USD.

Photos available upon request.

-jM
A&D