• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

MAGICIAN FULL SPECTRUM EXTRACT DABBER BY TRIBE

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Slowly getting the site pages built - then onwards with adding more.

catilyst

TRIBE Member

So first off, props to Mr D if he's able to have success with these products and create a profitable business. As he mentioned early on he was bridging many of his passions in this project (source materials from metal hunting, web building, networking, photography for the site and marketing, love of weed etc). I get that. Very cool.

To me though, since these products fall under the 'Tribe' brand, I personally sorta shake my head at it all. The $100 'instrument, the gold banger (that I assume is very expensive since there is no price is listed) and the (to me hideous) jewelry. And a godamn $300 silver faux film canister all scream extreme pretentiousness to me. Maybe there is a market for this stuff, but I don't think your typical 'Triber' would ever have the need or perceived grandeur to want any of this stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong and these are selling like hotcakes. I hope I am wrong, I have a fair bit of respect for Alex and hopes he succeeds.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The high price point is there specifically to exclude people who want to use their existing tools, spend 5.99, use their GFs pedicure tools, or who have inherited a box of good quality dental tools from a distant or close relative.

These products are obviously not for you Mondieu and catayst and that's OK. And since these products aren't for you, your impressions of the design or pricing don't matter.

The products are not targeted at "Tribers" either, although I'm not sure your definition of Tribers includes all 26 years of them. I have broadened the definition of TRIBE to include fine cannabis accessories, also doing that with the registered trademark even now.

I will be running ads for the cannabis accessories brand here, and I may also run other cannabis brand advertising - most likely ads from fellow Canadian cannabis accessories makers when some other companies start up. This is to pay for the cost of this site, because that has been coming out of my pocket for a long while now.

I have a larger mission with the accessories company, 3 main goals:

1) to manufacture the very finest and safest cannabis accessories, to make them in Canada, for export to the world
2) to showcase the quality of Canadian materials and manufacturing expertise to the world
3) use Canada's cannabis legalization to experiment and innovate design , developing IP in the accessories category, kind of like a skunkworks for cannabis accessories.

and a 4th, more personal, goal

To rejuvenate Toronto's amazing manufacturing trade jewelry sector. It has been greatly diminished by Chinese mass market imports over decades. Hell, even Birks, once Canada's national jeweler and one of the oldest in North America, is owned by an Italian company they tell me. There is now a small district, only 3 buildings left where there once were blocks, where master jewelers and craftsman from generations of master jewelers and craftsman still do epic work as they slowly retire or die off. It is a treasure trove of best in the world class talent and I am going to put it to new use.

I am going to do it like this:

1) Precious metal pipe components, nails, vaporizer bowls, bespoke smoking accessories in gold, platinum, and silver. We are working on a silver grinder this week that is almost 300 grams! A secondary, more mainstream line of Canadian or USA fine steel products, purpose built for cannabis - not dental or pedicure tools repurposed. Full materials traceability. Made in Canada.

2) A line of cannabis plant derived jewelry. We are inventing ways to do this as we go because nobody else in the world is doing it. I am currently casting gold cannabis seed ear studs in 18K, warped cannabis stem bracelets from craft-grown cannabis in 925 silver, 14k seed bellybutton rings in yellow gold... Also probably some woven cannabis roots that I will cast into a really weird neckpiece or bracelet - if it is even possible. Some of these pieces will be mainstream, others probably freaky Canadian gemstone encrusted wearable art pieces.

If you want to know why I think this way, you can read this:

Last edited:

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the info. Nice that you took the time to lay out some detail.

You set your price-point based on exclusion? That’s something. Lol!

I think I was pretty forthright about the fact that I wish you all the best and am probably not the target market for this.

Your notion that my “impressions of the design or pricing don’t matter” definitely speak volumes and may be a little short-sighted. I offered no criticism of the product. I simply stated that I’m probably not a customer. I didn’t even mention the design.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t know 1000 people who probably are and who’d probably buy it, just for the cache.

If decades of experience don’t rate me as someone who should ask questions, have an opinion and offer feedback - I’ll just pull my interest from this thread. Cheers, amigo!

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
My point is Mondieu that since you are not going to be a customer, whether or not you like the design doesn't matter to me. I've always found that focusing on the smallest viable market to be the best way for me. I hear your criticism but it doesn't matter in the same way that 26 years ago I did not spend time trying to get alternative rockers or country music aficionados who disliked electronic music to read tribe magazine, and I especially didn't seek out their design approval or input for the publication, because they weren't ever going to read it. No offence, just explaining where I am coming from. It is a way of conserving energy, because launching any new thing takes an enormous amount of energy.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
My point is Mondieu that since you are not going to be a customer, whether or not you like the design doesn't matter to me. I've always found that focusing on the smallest viable market to be the best way for me. I hear your criticism but it doesn't matter in the same way that 26 years ago I did not spend time trying to get alternative rockers or country music aficionados who disliked electronic music to read tribe magazine, and I especially didn't seek out their design approval or input for the publication, because they weren't ever going to read it. No offence, just explaining where I am coming from. It is a way of conserving energy, because launching any new thing takes an enormous amount of energy.
Yeah but this isn't music genres lol. Your market should be anyone that partakes in extracts/dabs... it's a big market, if you're going to deliberately exclude potential customers with a a very high price point and not bother even attempting to justify the cost then you will only ever cover a very small niche. But hey, I'm just a career sales guy, what do I know about these things... best of luck with your bourgeois dabber market though. :)

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Yeah but this isn't music genres lol. Your market should be anyone that partakes in extracts/dabs... it's a big market, if you're going to deliberately exclude potential customers with a a very high price point and not bother even attempting to justify the cost then you will only ever cover a very small niche. But hey, I'm just a career sales guy, what do I know about these things... best of luck with your bourgeois dabber market though.
He's free to make this as exclusive as he wants. I know several people who would be all over this. ...but why should I bother referring them? My questions and opinions aren't worth shit if I'm not the direct customer.

This is defintely one way to approach sales. Not sure how sustainable it is though. Best of luck!

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Yeah I totally get it, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything I just don't understand why the target market is so exclusive. And if that's the response I wouldn't bother referring either.

That said when I see 100% surgical grade titanium tools from established manufacturers that look quite similar going in the USD $30 range I'm genuinely curious what justifies the extra cost.

Anyways... it's almost time to bounce home from work and smoke a fatty. :D

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I totally get it, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything I just don't understand why the target market is so exclusive. And if that's the response I wouldn't bother referring either.

That said when I see 100% surgical grade titanium tools from established manufacturers that look quite similar going in the USD $30 range I'm genuinely curious what justifies the extra cost.

Anyways... it's almost time to bounce home from work and smoke a fatty. :D

You have to feel one in your hand to know the difference. Essentially it is a quality difference. It's a fine surgical instrument that has good balance, heft, and durability - not a mass produced bit of lightweight titanium. They are incredibly thin and strong, and our customers like how they can drop a perfect portion controlled dab into the small spaces these vape devices provide. There is just enough springiness in the tapered end of the MAGICIAN.

Some people buy crap tools, and I am guilty as anyone for having bought the cheapest drill, the least expensive saw, the most ghetto hammer. But when I have actually spent the extra money (sometimes significantly more) for a good tool, I was happier with it, for longer period of time, and my experience using it was significantly better.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
You have to feel one in your hand to know the difference. Essentially it is a quality difference. It's a fine surgical instrument that has good balance, heft, and durability - not a mass produced bit of lightweight titanium. They are incredibly thin and strong, and our customers like how they can drop a perfect portion controlled dab into the small spaces these vape devices provide. There is just enough springiness in the tapered end of the MAGICIAN.

Some people buy crap tools, and I am guilty as anyone for having bought the cheapest drill, the least expensive saw, the most ghetto hammer. But when I have actually spent the extra money (sometimes significantly more) for a good tool, I was happier with it, for longer period of time, and my experience using it was significantly better.

Awesome, appreciate the reply. I've dabbed but haven't made the plunge to getting my own rig, would make my already expensive habit even more so...LOL. Cheers!