• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

[Mad Jungle DNB] My first mix.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Welcome to SellyCat's first musical production!

On offer is a tight selection of only the sickest distilled beats and basslines from my favorite Jungle and DNB tracks.

A tracklisting is impossible, because 1) I ended up remixing every track I worked with to isolate and extend only the best parts, 2) many of the tracks were recorded from internet radio or pulled from other mixes and are therefore anonymous and 3) I made new song by isolating basslines or cymbals from other tracks and overlapping them onto the tracks I mixed. At least one track is three-in-one. The vocal samples you will hear also do not belong in the tracks that you'll hear them in (mostly). I used Ableton Live and Adobe Audition to make this, not vynil rekkids.

No discs were jockied in the making of this mix. However, several wetland creatures may have become endangered.

Enjoy
DOWNLOAD

Comments welcome--this is my first mix ever. bo

db

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
2) many of the tracks were recorded from internet radio or pulled from other mixes and are therefore anonymous
aka "I stole the music and can't give the artists the respect they deserve..."

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
db said:
aka "I stole the music and can't give the artists the respect they deserve..."
"Stole"? lol I'm not making any money off this, guy. I'm just an enthusiast being creative with music I love.

Relax. Everything's gonna work out just fine. I promise ;)

db

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
"Stole"? lol I'm not making any money off this
Nor are the artists who's music you're using making any money off you. An enthusiast who really loves his music would see the problem in this... ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I like the approach.. sounds really nerdy and unique..
Grabbing this!

Just a heads up though, Alex D has been known to delete threads in this forum without a tracklist.

Can't wait to hear it nonetheless.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
beatjunkie said:
I agree, using tracks you ripped from a set is weak.
Allright, well, sorry to have offended your collective sensibilities--this was just a one time project I chose to work on during the winter holiday. If I make another mix, I'll be sure to use propper tracks and a thorough tracklisting.

I know some of the songs I used,
Kosheen - Hide You (with two different sets of beats/bassline overtop)
Fugee -- Ready or Not (the opening sample, looped) VS DJ Hype -- Ready Or not Remix (Just the beat,because I didn't like how he mixed the vocals)
Shy FX & T-Power -- Mercy
D.Kay + Jenna G - Woe
Future Prophecies -- Mineamba
True Playaz -- Play The Game
Future Prophecies -- ????? (With the breakdown voice sample from *Sneaker Pimps -- Spin Spin Suga* in the middle)

Those are the samples that I know of.

Last edited:

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
OMG! the dj purists are offended! never mind that how much of jungle is based on uncleared samples and stolen riffs in the first place? i say good on ya for having some fun. that's what it's all about when you get right down to it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Matt Carl

TRIBE Member
yeah, fuck these people that are all wah wah wah

this sounds like something you had fun with, and to me, that's what it's all about

if you were performing this live, it'd be a different story, but if anything, it's like a little promo for your ableton skillzzzzzzzz :D

i did a mix like this when i was in college but it was with hip hop, and i totally hate hip hop, but it was fun making new tunes out of everything...

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Matt Carl said:
if anything, it's like a little promo for your ableton skillzzzzzzzz :D

i did a mix like this when i was in college...it was fun making new tunes out of everything...
Yes guy! I laerned tons of shit about Ableton and started to get intuitive with it. I came very close to buying a midi control so that I could map knobs and sliders to the controls. I'm going to try the Live function next--I did this use the sequencer.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
feisty boy said:
OMG! the dj purists are offended! never mind that how much of jungle is based on uncleared samples and stolen riffs in the first place? i say good on ya for having some fun. that's what it's all about when you get right down to it.

haha.

oi Feisty...been a while mate :)

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
Cool idea, but I was listening to the part with the ready or not vocals and it dosnet seem to match up very well. Is this intentional?

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
ghaleon said:
Cool idea, but I was listening to the part with the ready or not vocals and it dosnet seem to match up very well. Is this intentional?
Yeah you're totally right...it's cuz I straight looped the actual single of the Fugees album, and that made Lauryn's voice unsynch with the beats--an unfortunate consequence, but I really didn't like the treatment of the vocals in that Hype remix.

But anyway, yes it's a mistake

T

TRIBE Member
Im gonna be perfectly honest, so please just take this as creative criticism.

This mix is not very good. The kosheen vocal is not on cue. the mixes are not very creative. the fugee vocal is way off. i couldnt listen much more past that.
Ableton is an amazing program, and is capable of so much more. download the pacific ableton mix on this page to get an idea of what the program is capable of doing, and then spend some time putting it all together and polishing a final product. Sorry, im sure you had fun doing this, but the mix itself is not good.

Also not a big fan of rippin songs from radio sets and playing them in your own set, but thats another thread :)

Keep at it tho, seems you have the passion, and good taste in music. I look forward to hearing mix2.

just my honest opinion.

:)

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Considering that I've gotten a lot of positive feedback, maybe you want to listen to more than 3 minutes of it...that way I can have even more constructive imput, which I really do appreciate.

That said, I'm all about getting better. And mix two is in the works chalk full of the all-important tracklisting. I bet I'm more looking forward to your input, than you are of hearing mix 2!

Rest assured, Mix 2 will be impeccably and enthusiastically cited. I will list the tracks with more zeal than anybody on Tribe has ever done. Not one single radio feed will ever be ripped ever again forever! And then I will proclaim myself to be the exclusive vanguard of intellectual property rights and representation on Tribe.

And because I will have concentrated the unlimited legitimacy of being the most virtuous defender of IP standards, I will get Robespierre on everyone's ass by instituting the GREAT INTERNET TERROR! Conspirators will be denounced, enemies of the fatherland will be punished and all moderates will be mercilessly repressed as counter-revolutionaries! I alone will represent far greater than the sum total of the peoples' collective indignation at any and all infringements of intellectual property rights, be they real, symbolic, spoken or even thought!

A new age of virtue is upon us! All moral weakness and inferiority of character will be swept away by the righteous tide of steadfastly upright integrity!

~atp~

TRIBE Member
I honestly think that proper Tribe DJ mix-posting respecticette (oh yeah, respecticette, it's a word, fuck you if you say it isn't) is only
achieved when:

• for each "track" played, the original artist is cited.
  • for each artist cited, all studios involved in its mastering are cited.
  • for each studio, all producers, editors and support technical staff are cited.
  • all companies used in the creation of the original piece are cited.
  • all janitors and maintenance staff involved in the cleanliness of the establishment where the piece was recorded are cited.

Ignoring any of these elements necessarily fails to confer the proper respect they clearly deserve. Forget about how difficult it is, or how much it might deter you from ever doing anything creative again; attributing the original artists is important. And what's an artist without someone to wipe the toilet seats they sit on???

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Dan, I seriously enjoyed this mix. It was/is a lot of fun, and I've got it on my nano for those moments when I'm stuck on a subway and want to turn a depressing ride down a dank tunnel into a fun-filled adventure of jungle goodness. :D

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
BLASPHEMY!

You are forgetting the Chinese wage slaves who made the clothes for the janitors, not to mention their equipment and suppies.

I DEMAND! that all the equipment they used be listed as well, including a detailed listing of the place of manufacture of ALL the internal electronic components!

I WILL NOT TOLLERATE! any infringements on these sacred laws by theiving philistine whores that attempt to take credit for playing other peoples' music back to back!

I SWEAR DEATH UPON ALL THOSE WHO REJECT VIRTUE AND EMBRACE POLYTHEISTIC IDOL WORSHIP....AND IP INFRINGEMENT!

Last edited:

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
Dan, I seriously enjoyed this mix. It was/is a lot of fun, and I've got it on my nano for those moments when I'm stuck on a subway and want to turn a depressing ride down a dank tunnel into a fun-filled adventure of jungle goodness. :D
Thank you very much Keith, I appreciate it

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
neat idea. transistions could use some work (some switch-ups come from out of nowhere and some of it doesn't flow very well in terms of structure) and the fugees vocal needed to be timestretched and made to fit the actual tempo of the dnb tune and some of the tracks aren't beatmatched well... (considering you're using ableton, there's absolutely no excuse for having something be off-time :)).

Ableton sounds like fun to play with tho - was thinking of picking it up one day. How's the actual production suite beyond the live pa stuff? I've heard good and bad things about it.

As for the ripping tracks from radio shows, most dnb guys are pretty touchy about that stuff as the number of DJs that rip "dubs" from radio shows, re-edit them and play them out is actually greater than you'd think which is considered pretty rude to the producers. I've actually heard people play tunes in sets where the dnbarena tag line pops up or something. But if you're just doing it for fun and not for shows or anything, should be ok.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
That's the thing! I didn't use the LIVE feature--this was all chopped up and remixed. My first attempt at it anyway

I haven't actually used the LIVE thing at all. I was strictly using the production side of the application--which is amazing. If you have a midi controller, it'll blow your mind

And thanks for the advice.

I think mix 2 MIGHT be done Live...I'll let y'all know

Last edited: