1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

MacBook repair

Discussion in 'Technology' started by kyfe, Jul 14, 2010.

1. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I spilt some liquid on my keyboard and I need a new one installed, I've tried a
    Few places but nobody seems to have one instock. Anyone know where I can get a new one rather quick?

2. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

you might try craigslist (search for macbook repairs) or call clickonmacs, carbon computing, midtown digital .... although since they get the parts from apple it won't be cheap.

ebay would be another option, but that's not exactly quick.

But the real problem is the liquid getting on the logic board. especially if it's not water. replacing the keyboard won't solve that problem, and it may go to shit in a few weeks.

3. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Tried carbon but they want to keep the old kb, they say Mac requires the old one which is BS.

Midtown wants $65 just to look at it and payment before they order which I'd rather not do in case there is an issue.

The repair show in markham is 120 but it will take a few days
    I'm going to the apple store later today,

4. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

In general if you want a shop to do it you are going to pay 60-80 dollars plus the cost of the kb.

Spilling liquid on the kb really hasn't been able to effect the logic board since the G4.

Have you tried Computer Systems Center? I know they overcharge for service but they may have a kb in stock.

5. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Don't turn the power on for a few days, it might work after it dries. Worked for a friend of mine so it might work for you too.

6. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

managed to find one in Mississauga for about $75, spent about an hour to install.

I cleaned up the inside and there was nothing there so it just hit the keys. well at least i can type full sentences again.

thanks everyone