• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

maca powder vs. maca flour

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen some maca around in health food shops and herbalists where they sell it in capsules or as a powder for a lot of money ($9 for 3.5 oz as a powder). This is basically the powdered root, right?

In south america they powder the root and cook with it. It is inexpensive and it is used like flour. I am wondering if this maca flour is the same thing they are selling in health food shops as capsules and powdered root for huge money...

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
I have seen some maca around in health food shops and herbalists where they sell it in capsules or as a powder for a lot of money ($9 for 3.5 oz as a powder). This is basically the powdered root, right?

In south america they powder the root and cook with it. It is inexpensive and it is used like flour. I am wondering if this maca flour is the same thing they are selling in health food shops as capsules and powdered root for huge money...
why not speak to actual people inside health food stores to see.
macca pacca would.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
why not speak to actual people inside health food stores to see.
macca pacca would.
Well, nobody I have spoke with at health food stores can give me an answer to that. That is why I am asking here, in hopes that someone will know.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I don't know for sure but it sounds like a safe assumption to me! I can't think of how "powder' would be any different than "flour"

I'm surprised the health store version doesn't come with a story like "ground by South American aboriginals who are paid fairly for their work in an ecologically friendly reclaimed former Spanish colony constructed solely of used coffee grounds and recycled bicycle tires."

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know for sure but it sounds like a safe assumption to me! I can't think of how "powder' would be any different than "flour"

I'm surprised the health store version doesn't come with a story like "ground by South American aboriginals who are paid fairly for their work in an ecologically friendly reclaimed former Spanish colony constructed solely of used coffee grounds and recycled bicycle tires."
I_bRAD, I think this is another one of these truffle oil type scams. You buy a 20 lb. bag of maca flour for like $10, cap it and sell it in 100 cap bottles for $9.99 each. Cha Ching!

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

RaGeoVeRiDe

TRIBE Member
The capsules sold in health food stores are so much more expensive because they are a standardized extract of the active constituent in Maca root, not simply powdered root.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I just looked at a bag of maca powder I bought from Herbies Herbs. It is the best you can get there: organic, certified etc, and this is the same stuff you get in better quality capsules - but it says 'powdered root' on the bag, not standardized extract.

I think maca flour would be a hell of a lot cheaper and if it's food grade it should be good enough for me. As long as it is ground by peruvian women who wear those cool bowler hats, I am cool with it.

RaGeoVeRiDe

TRIBE Member
I stand corrected. Powdered root is just that, powdered root. Tinctures would be an extract of constituents in alcohol and they are more expensive. The best guess is that perhaps maca flour is ground root mixed with other ground grains to make a flour which is why it is so cheap.

Either way, Maca is awesome.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain