• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mac OS X version 10.6.8

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dialog

TRIBE Member
I know a few people who are against upgrading beyond 10.6.8. I haven't yet, but more out of inertia and not really seeing any necessary benefits to undergoing the upgrade process at this time.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
actually I'm still on osX 10.5.8 (leopard) and I don't give a shit about upgrading.
Whatcha need the new iTunes for? More iCloud services? imo my (updated version for my osx) iTunes here is already too bloated with useless *extras*...

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Maybe he got a new iPhone or iPod and wants to sync it...

Ps the upgrade to 10.6 is $19. Hardly breaking the bank to get the current version of iTunes, is it?

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
Maybe he got a new iPhone or iPod and wants to sync it...

Ps the upgrade to 10.6 is $19. Hardly breaking the bank to get the current version of iTunes, is it?
This.

I was pleasantly surprised that the new system software is so cheap. I was expecting to pay around 100 bucks for Mountain Lion.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
The issue is, I believe, when upgrading from Leopard to Mountain Lion you actually need to buy the Lion disc in order to upgrade to Mountain Lion online. There's no easy upgrade option to leapfrog Lion into Mountain Lion. Does that sound right?

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
If he's running 10.6.8 he should be fine to upgrade to ML, there hasn't been a CD install since Snow Leopard, even Lion came on USB keys if you didn't want to DL it.

Apple (Canada) - Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion.

BUT you have to make sure you are running hardware that is compatible with ML. Many of our Mac Pro's here cannot be upgraded as they are just below the cutoff for ML.

Upgrading for the new iTunes is worth it, especially if you are heavily invested in iTunes. The new interface is very quick and responds great even on large collections like mine.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
I believe, Nesta, like me, is still running 10.5.8, which is the problem.
Bingo! My girl bought a new iPod, but it won't sync on my Mac unless I have the latest version of iTunes. It's really the only reason why I'd want to upgrade. I'm just not sure it's worth it.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I feel you, man. It's not the price, it's the whole ordering and installing physical media thing that seems too much of a to do. And with my white MacBook already sporting a water damaged keyboard, this all seems like too much of an effort. The thing still works five years later, which is pretty great for a laptop in my opinion.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
my girl had this problem - she ended up taking her laptop to an Apple Store and playing dumb - they upgraded her for free and took care of the installation process

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I'm still on 10.5.8 but don't have an ithingy just an android and I don't have to worry about these updates. Still wouldn't mind upgrading just don't feel the need right now.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
If you ever get an iphone 5, you have to upgrade. It will only work on the latest iTunes. Annoying.

I had to go through the entire ordeal. You really have 5 options.

1) Buy the upgrade (~$20/OS)
2) Download/Torrent it, make image via bootable usb or burn disc
3) As mentioned, go to apple store, play dumb, get it done for free
4) Borrow copy from friend or work
5) Do nothing

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
my girl had this problem - she ended up taking her laptop to an Apple Store and playing dumb - they upgraded her for free and took care of the installation process
Please to be explaining how/why they updated it for free?

What did she play dumb about?

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Please to be explaining how/why they updated it for free?

What did she play dumb about?
news flash:sometimes when nerdy guys (see bar, genius) encounter females needing help (see: girlfriend, oerets') they often do dumb shit (like installing OSes) in the hopes of finally, mercifully, knowing the touch of a woman.

acheron

TRIBE Member
this works for guys too actually - apple has a high number of gay people working for them. If you're cute enough you can get away with murder no matter what sex you are.

Being a big ol' fuck (41) like I am, however, I have to resort to making myself as annoyingly stubborn as possible so they'll help me in hopes of getting me out of there as quickly as possible. I can still charm the ladies, though.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
this works for guys too actually - apple has a high number of gay people working for them. If you're cute enough you can get away with murder no matter what sex you are.
Since you brought it up, back in '06 at Steamworks I banged the living snot out the Apple Store Yorkdale's floor manager. As we parted company, he let me know he'd give me student pricing on anything :D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories